Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AAdvantage miles for award on Alaska Airlines / AS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using AAdvantage miles for award on Alaska Airlines / AS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Antarius
You can use AA.com

if nothing shows up, that means there likely isn't any award space currently open.
Odd thing is, Alaska let's you book on AA using Alaska Miles, for that same trip, but AA doesn't allow booking Alaska using AAdvantage Miles. Anyway, we will drive to LAX and use our Southwest miles. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by johnasmith
Odd thing is, Alaska let's you book on AA using Alaska Miles, for that same trip, but AA doesn't allow booking Alaska using AAdvantage Miles. Anyway, we will drive to LAX and use our Southwest miles. Thanks for the feedback.
How do you book on AA using Alaska miles?Or did you mean book on Alaska using their miles?
Old Nov 14, 2020, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
If F isn't available, they won't oversell a cabin for you, if that's what you're asking. If cheap award inventory isn't available, the first agent was very firm that they wouldn't open award space for partner changes. The second agent, I was polite but very firm when initially told no. She had to get approval, but was able to make it happen.
Another example of how the HUCA approach does work!
Old Nov 15, 2020, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I just completed a search on aa.com for SFO-SEA and see 12.5K availability for every day but Aug 4.

Edited to add:
If you are just searching from the aa.com homepage, that search now defaults to AA flights only. You need to select advanced search and then select "All Airlines".
See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-steps-2.html
Originally Posted by Antarius
How do you book on AA using Alaska miles?Or did you mean book on Alaska using their miles?
To clarify. I logged into my Alaska account and checked the same flight, using Alaska Miles, and was offered both Alaska and AA. When I log into my AA account only AA flights are offered.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
To clarify. I logged into my Alaska account and checked the same flight, using Alaska Miles, and was offered both Alaska and AA. When I log into my AA account only AA flights are offered.
Got it. That could be similar to the difference between Saver awards and Anytime. Saver awards can be booked on AA with AA miles or partner miles, but Anytime awards can only be booked with AA miles.

There's usually a limited number of seats in the fare bucket thats available for partner awards.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You quoted my post from over 3 years replying to another person?

In any event, if you are looking at SBP-SEA (AS operated) using AA miles, it comes down to availability as Antarius said above. I just checked aa.com and SBP-SEA (AS3417) is available using AA miles (12.5k) on aa.com almost every day the first 2 weeks of December. I stopped checking after that. The lowest availability that AS provides to partners like AA just isn't available on the days you are checking.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 9:15 am

In any event, if you are looking at SBP-SEA (AS operated) using AA miles, it comes down to availability as Antarius said above. I just checked aa.com and SBP-SEA (AS3417) is available using AA miles (12.5k) on aa.com almost every day the first 2 weeks of December. I stopped checking after that. The lowest availability that AS provides to partners like AA just isn't available on the days you are checking.
Thank you for the info. I hadn't thought to try other dates to compare. Somehow your post appeared looking like a reply to mine.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 9:19 am

Sorry, somehow your post looked like a reply to mine but thank you for the info. I hadn't thought to try other dates to compare.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:22 pm

If I use AA miles to book on AS, would I get the free bag allowance if I got an Alaska credit card?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Married segments, J booking into economy AS

I’m curious about something. I recently booked some AA award travel from the US to the Maldives. There is one hop in the US and it’s on AS. Although the entire booking is in business, the AS segment books into Economy. I’ve checked several dates around this and the AS segment always seems to book into economy. Is this a known ‘issue’ with the AS/AA relationship when booking married segment award trips with a combination of AS and other airlines? Or am I just getting unlucky?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EP
is the AS space available in U on its own?

Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
I’m curious about something. I recently booked some AA award travel from the US to the Maldives. There is one hop in the US and it’s on AS. Although the entire booking is in business, the AS segment books into Economy. I’ve checked several dates around this and the AS segment always seems to book into economy. Is this a known ‘issue’ with the AS/AA relationship when booking married segment award trips with a combination of AS and other airlines? Or am I just getting unlucky?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Via AS or AA?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
U space is for upgrades. It doesn't have anything to do with awards. There will need to be T class space availablility for an economy saver award & E class availability for saver First. AS isn't releasing a lot of E space since beyond about 6 seeks, everything is a placeholder.

If E space does open before travel, AA should be able to move the OP into it on the strength of the J redemption.

James
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
U space is for upgrades. It doesn't have anything to do with awards. There will need to be T class space availablility for an economy saver award & E class availability for saver First. AS isn't releasing a lot of E space since beyond about 6 seeks, everything is a placeholder.

If E space does open before travel, AA should be able to move the OP into it on the strength of the J redemption.

James
Awesome, thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know! Actually, one more. I have the option to do DEN-LAX on AA vs the current DEN-SEA on AS. For the DEN-LAX route, the flight I'd select is showing as an Web Special - First, J space. But then also shows First, U space. I know I can't combine a Web Special with my reservation, but since it is showing U space, should I be able to take that?
Attached Images  
Old Apr 1, 2021, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
Awesome, thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know! Actually, one more. I have the option to do DEN-LAX on AA vs the current DEN-SEA on AS. For the DEN-LAX route, the flight I'd select is showing as an Web Special - First, J space. But then also shows First, U space. I know I can't combine a Web Special with my reservation, but since it is showing U space, should I be able to take that?
Sorry, I can't advise one way or the other. I am not as familiar with AAdvantage awards nor what fare classes combine. It looks like you should be able to. I would call AA and ask.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.