EXP upgrade on Web Saver?

Old Nov 12, 20, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA- A pref
EXP upgrade on Web Saver?

Iím EXP & First time ever booking a web saver award for myself. Ticketed 4 passengers together on web saver. Called AA EXP desk to see if it wasnít showing me as upgrade eligible because I had 4 Pax on one record locator. They told me that Iím not eligible for upgrade because I booked a web saver. Iíve searched the AA Website & canít find any language excluding web saver upgrades. Did they mis inform me?
Old Nov 12, 20, 9:49 am

Yes, you were misinformed. The problem is that you can only request an upgrade for yourself and one companion. You need to tell AA which person to make your companion and they will split the reservation accordingly.
Antarius and AAExecPlatFlier like this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead View Post
Yes, you were misinformed. The problem is that you can only request an upgrade for yourself and one companion. You need to tell AA which person to make your companion and they will split the reservation accordingly.
Just keep in mind however that if you split people off of your booking, then they technically lose being able to take advantage of your other EP benefits.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 10:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Also I think if your companion to upgrade has any AA status, the auto-upgrade will fail for them even if you have the stickers. Might need an agent to go through a few hoops (e.g. disassociate their FF#) to make it work
Old Nov 12, 20, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
You can only upgrade 1 companion traveling with you on the same flight and that pax, regardless of their elite status, must use your 500-mile upgrades for his/her upgrade.
Old Nov 12, 20, 12:58 pm

It was true pre covid Web Saver fares were not eligible for upgrades
Old Nov 12, 20, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
It was true pre covid Web Saver fares were not eligible for upgrades
This is incorrect.

There has never been a sAAver vs. Web Special distinction for domestic awards with regards to EXP upgrades. Web Specials have always been eligible. I have certainly upgraded many Web Special awards pre-covid.
Antarius and FlyingEgghead like this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
My son has Gold status and got an upgrade on an AUS-DFW flight while on a web saver ticket back in September. It wasn't a special op-up or anything. His reservation said "Upgrade requested" after it was booked and he got upgraded at T-24.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
This is incorrect.

There has never been a sAAver vs. Web Special distinction for domestic awards with regards to EXP upgrades. Web Specials have always been eligible. I have certainly upgraded many Web Special awards pre-covid.
This.I have used Web Saver fares frequently and been upgraded as well.

Basic Economy was not eligible for upgrades. Maybe that's what the poster was thinking of?
Old Nov 12, 20, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz President's Circle, National EXC, Hyatt EXP, UA/HHonors/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
Your agent was mis-informed. Hang up, call back and as others suggested, split the tickets out.
Old Nov 12, 20, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy View Post
Your agent was mis-informed. Hang up, call back and as others suggested, split the tickets out.
The challenge with doing this is, OP + 1 Pax can be upgraded, the other 2 pax get stuck without EP benefits like MCE.

So overall, the OP needs to decide which of the 2 options they want. Unfortunately, there isn't a win-win
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
The challenge with doing this is, OP + 1 Pax can be upgraded, the other 2 pax get stuck without EP benefits like MCE.

So overall, the OP needs to decide which of the 2 options they want. Unfortunately, there isn't a win-win
Depends. If the OP books tickets before splitting, they can keep MCE seats unless there is a change.
Bags, of course wouldn't be much of an issue if they travel only with one each, like most people
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 13, 20, 11:36 am

Since time of request no longer matters in upgrade priority, I now split records 5 days ahead of flight time when I have more than one companion. This way if there is a schedule/plane change before then I can keep everyone in preferred seats. Then split 5 days ahead and wait for the EXP upgrade at 100 hours (if I'm lucky). Good Luck!
Old Nov 13, 20, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LTT Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
My son has Gold status and got an upgrade on an AUS-DFW flight while on a web saver ticket back in September. It wasn't a special op-up or anything. His reservation said "Upgrade requested" after it was booked and he got upgraded at T-24.
Is it true that only EXPs get upgrades on award tickets including Web Savers? Did they expand it to all elites?
Old Nov 13, 20, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by asnovici View Post
Is it true that only EXPs get upgrades on award tickets including Web Savers? Did they expand it to all elites?
Yes. No (only EXP). Assume CK=EXP.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: