Cargo Now Important Than Paxs

Old Nov 9, 20, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Cargo Now Important Than Paxs

MIA/PHL 788 90 minutes late off the gate due to loading cargo. From what FAs said that a/c was to continue onto Europe with just cargo. So having 100 plus misconnects no longer trumps cargo. I had a 2 hour connection with plans to work in the PHL AC. With that gone tried to buy WiFi but that wasn’t working.But at least with a long connection I got where I was going.

At least a great MIA FA crew. With a 2 year running up & down the aisle and the mother clueless I definitely needed a couple of drinks.
Old Nov 9, 20, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Looking at it another way, many of the flights still operate would not operate but for the cargo. AA is not making money off passenger operations these days.
Old Nov 9, 20, 8:06 pm

Cargo rules!
Old Nov 9, 20, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George View Post
MIA/PHL 788 90 minutes late off the gate due to loading cargo. From what FAs said that a/c was to continue onto Europe with just cargo. So having 100 plus misconnects no longer trumps cargo. I had a 2 hour connection with plans to work in the PHL AC. With that gone tried to buy WiFi but that wasn’t working.But at least with a long connection I got where I was going.

At least a great MIA FA crew. With a 2 year running up & down the aisle and the mother clueless I definitely needed a couple of drinks.
How did you find out how many misconnect there are, maybe there are a lot of people from the PHL area flying back from MIA or people who connected or started in MIA just to go to the PHL area?
Old Nov 9, 20, 10:54 pm

AA should excel then - they've been treating pax like cargo for years...
Spiff, Ty Vil, aaupgrade and 10 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
always remember.. its the cargo that really pays for the plane to fly.. not us .. so I have been told. again , again and again
Old Nov 10, 20, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
American Airlines is really a cargo company that happens to fly passengers too.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 7:58 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
No brainer, cargo doesn't talk back and ask for those pesky PDBs. Of course they like cargo better.
Old Nov 10, 20, 9:31 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Lol, I've never had to return to the gate because of an issue with cargo. People, yes, and sadly too many times in the last few years.
Old Nov 10, 20, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
Your headline sounds like Japanese English. "Cargo now important than paxs"... needs to have a comparative like "more" or "less".
Old Nov 10, 20, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Your headline sounds like Japanese English. "Cargo now important than paxs"... needs to have a comparative like "more" or "less".
This is America where many of us are grammatically incorrect, politically incorrect, or both
Old Nov 10, 20, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Poor FAs last night were getting the brunt of it but luckily the wifi was down. Some those paxs would have seen that they were rebooked for the following day if they had been able to check the app. I wonder how many were left on their own for lodging and meals. And yes there was minimally 100 paxs connecting given that the flight was sold out and it was hub to hub.
Old Nov 10, 20, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I recommend avoiding PHL and MIA if you are not point-to-point, as they are both big cargo hubs. CLT is almost exclusively a PAX hub, so your short connections there are more likely to succeed.

Now that we are transacting with a much smaller airline, some pointers:
1. With one or two flights per day to many spokes, build a thicker cushion for your connection. Two hours is the new one hour. The clubs are largely open, mitigating the extra time.
2. Flight times need to be checked and re-checked. AA used to keep its schedule pretty rigid, but with no more fees, I think they now feel free and easy to change flight times.
3. Same with seat assignments. These seem to change at the slightest whim, and not just for aircraft substitution.
4. With the furloughs and "right-sizing," many FAs are relatively senior compared to the same routes a few years ago. This can be a good thing if you know how to manage the in-flight relationship. Hint: senior FAs do not like the call button. But a chat near the galley will usually yield a beverage or three. (They also more often will offer/ honor a double, when there is row-by-row service).
5. Boarding last has become optimal - much more overhead space than last year. Just notify the GA before boarding begins, so your prime seat is not auctioned to the NRSAs nearby.
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 757FO View Post
Lol, I've never had to return to the gate because of an issue with cargo. People, yes, and sadly too many times in the last few years.
I have had to return to the gate, due to weight and balance due to excessive cargo. We found out that they actually unloaded suitcases rather than cargo when we arrived in SEA (but I only had carry-on, so no big deal).
Old Nov 10, 20, 2:41 pm
C46

Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
No brainer, cargo doesn't talk back and ask for those pesky PDBs. Of course they like cargo better.
Yup, cargo does not complain...!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: