Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cargo Now Important Than Paxs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2020, 4:42 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Centurion
Cargo rules!
It always has internationally. It is highly lucrative. It checks no bags, it requires no Lounges, and it requires no feeding and it never ever moans.

Seriously cargo has kept many aircraft aloft. I was going to say the Mail was also very important - but I suspect that is mostly things ordered through the post nowadays. Who sends letters any more?
Old Nov 11, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Under-the-wing cargo has always been a huge deal for airlines - especially internationally (as Puccl notes). That is one of the main profit centers for hubs like DFW and MIA. Those South America routes are not flown by a lot of other airlines, but international commerce continues at a decent clip. Roses, computers, cell phones, wine, chilled meats/fish, medical supplies, etc. Think high valuable perishable (bananas can go by boat but even then sometimes a shipper may opt for air freight if the cargo agent can score passage on a flight with a light load) or high value on a weight basis. You had $60 million worth of cell phones imported into the DFW area from Brazil in 2019 - probably a good bit of that came via AA cargo. AA's rack rate for cargo from Brazil to the USA is about $7.00 per kilogram if you ship a 250 KG shipment. I'm sure high volume shippers get at least a 30 percent discount. But, do the math..... about $1,400 to ship a pallet of cell phones. The cell phones don't need upgrades, they don't ask for refills, and they don't use the lav.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Nov 11, 2020 at 6:30 am
Old Nov 11, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by dvs7310
your headline sounds like japanese english. "cargo now important than paxs"... Needs to have a comparative like "more" or "less".
お客様より、貨物のようが重要ですね
robertablake likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
そですね.
robertablake likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 5:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
and they don't use the lav.
They don't get drunk either.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
But we’re self loading cargo.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Catbert10
But we’re self loading cargo.
Who is immediately asking for PBD as soon as he enters the planes, and starts posting on FT that he didn't get one, but, is unable to hit the call button to request one.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
This is the best place I could find to post this magazine-like article about converting pax aircraft to freighters....Neat read!

Desperate for more planes, cargo airlines are buying up aging passenger jets. Here's how they're converted to fly Amazon packages instead of people. - insider.com......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.