Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are my rights when AA rebooks to a not convenience flight.

Old Nov 8, 20, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Connectmiles

I am flying internationally, my flight was originally booked for a wednesday, AA cancelled all flights until friday, due to covid there are limited flights, I asked them to rebook me in another airline for a thursday flight because the option they were offering me for wednesday (My original date of travel did not work) now they rebooked me on a friday flight and their options are:

a. Flight on friday with us.
b. Flight with a schedule that does not work for you on wednesday with another airline.

Is there something I could do to ask AA to rebook me on other airline on Thursday as they have cancelled wed and thur flights

Not familiar with AA policies. Please help.
Old Nov 8, 20, 11:20 pm

Where are flying from? Was your ticket purchased with money or miles? Where and how was your ticket purchased? Do you have any elite status with AA?
Old Nov 8, 20, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Centurion,

SAP to MCO, paid with credit card to a local travel agency and I do not have any elite status with AA.
Old Nov 8, 20, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Try calling again. Donít reference the conversation youíve already had. Just start over with a new agent. They should be willing to accommodate you.
Old Nov 9, 20, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
They could also potentially tell you if you donít like the options they are offering that you can take a refund. Be prepared for that as well.
Old Nov 9, 20, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The bottom line is that you have a right to a refund and that is it. Anything else is entirely at AA's discretion. It is very unlikely that AA will rebook you on anything other than a One World carrier unless this is date of flight IRROPS (think of a mechanical cancellation). Looking at the available options, I see that there are routings on DL and NK. AA does not interline with either carrier and thus cannot rebook on them.

Nonetheless, you should do the research and have the options to present to AA so that you can call back and make specific asks. Expect a no. At the same time, you should price out the options. If you find something cheaper or in the same ballpark as what you have now, ask AA for the refund and then purchase a new ticket on your own.

Finally, you might look at other options to places near MCO such as TPA.
FAA1996 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Nov 9, 20, 7:44 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before calling again, figure out ( several options if possible in priority order) exactly what (reasonable) flights you want, dates/times/flight numbers to suggest to the agent. Try to keep segments on AA, its codeshare partners, and its alliance partners.

It's surprising that AA rebooked you in that this is normally the responsibility of your travel agent. You could try that if calling AA fails, although much depends on how good your travel agent is.
writerguyfl and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 9, 20, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond (Aspire)
it sounds like they were willing to rebook you on a different airline on Wednesday - if you have a specific flight you want - I think you have a reasonable chance of finding an agent that will do it. I am assuming the new wednesday flight has timing issues - like leaves too early or so.
Not sure how much preferential treatment one really gets with status - but I would not see no problem getting them to do that having status
Old Nov 9, 20, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Before calling again, figure out ( several options if possible in priority order) exactly what (reasonable) flights you want, dates/times/flight numbers to suggest to the agent. Try to keep segments on AA, its codeshare partners, and its alliance partners.

It's surprising that AA rebooked you in that this is normally the responsibility of your travel agent. You could try that if calling AA fails, although much depends on how good your travel agent is.
Thank you all for your advisements, I have contacted AA as you predicted their only option this time was a refund, not even reebooking on other airline.
Old Nov 9, 20, 2:04 pm

How much was your flight and how much would it be to rebook on a conveniant flight? if it isn't a large difference, just cancel and rebook on a flight on the Thursday
Old Nov 9, 20, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
How much was your flight and how much would it be to rebook on a conveniant flight? if it isn't a large difference, just cancel and rebook on a flight on the Thursday
I did but it was more than 500 dollars.
Old Nov 13, 20, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist ex-Diamond; Marriott Platinum Life; Hilton, AA, United ex-status
SAP to MCO, paid with credit card to a local travel agency and I do not have any elite status with AA.
Advocating for changes is part of what you pay a travel agent for. not that they can guarantee an outcome you like better. . Did they refuse to assist you?
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Nov 13, 20, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Looking at the available options, I see that there are routings on DL and NK. AA does not interline with either carrier and thus cannot rebook on them.
Minor quibble, but AA and DL do interline. They restarted it about 2 years ago.
Old Nov 13, 20, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
It's pretty limited and I believe only covers DoD IRROP's and not advance schedule changes.
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 20, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Yes, but the limitations on the agreement are such that they do not apply to this situation. Essential day of travel IRROPS and that is it. I left it off because it is not relevant and would only complicate OP's situation to argue with AA about something which it really cannot do.

I was surprised that there were OA options offered to OP and not surprised that they have been withdrawn. He is down to either accepting the refund or flying on Friday. Perhaps worth a careful read of his travel insurance policy to see if this situation will make up any of the fare difference if he purchases on his own. Doubtful, but for $500, I would spend the time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: