Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: Pay us $60 to fix your reservation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2020, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

AA: Pay us $60 to fix your reservation

I booked a flight on AA.com and got a confirmation number. Several days later I got an email which said I had to call them within 24 hours or else they’ll cancel my reservation. I called immediately, the agent said instantly “ok, all fixed - it was just a glitch with our system”. I later noticed a random unauthorized $60 charge from AA. I called back and they said it is a fee for speaking to the live person who fixed the glitch. I then emailed customer relations and they replied promptly stating that they understand why this would be so “objectionable”, but they do not refund any non-refundable fee and instead offered me a $60 future flight credit. I know the airlines are struggling with cash flow, but, I am shocked that the world’s largest airline would unapologetically engage in such a bizarre and deceptive practice. What can/should I do now?
SPN Lifer and Spiff like this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The obvious approach if no mention was made of the fee, would be to dispute the charge with a credit card company

Based on how AA seems to operate, I wouldn't have thought that the agent could have processed a charge without you providing some of card details though

According to information on OAG , , AA is no longer the largest airline and that that position is held by China Southern https://www.oag.com/blog/coronavirus...week-forty-one
Old Nov 8, 2020, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Just call AA back during normal business hours on Monday. Tell them you were erroneously charged the phone fee for your issue and need it refunded. If the agent won't/can't help then escalate to a supervisor or HUCA.

They definitely can refund it, like anything its just a matter of speaking with someone that knows what they're doing.
Antarius, JDiver, Gerbs and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Just call AA back during normal business hours on Monday. Tell them you were erroneously charged the phone fee for your issue and need it refunded. If the agent won't/can't help then escalate to a supervisor or HUCA.

They definitely can refund it, like anything its just a matter of speaking with someone that knows what they're doing.
Agreed. Pursue what JJeffrey suggested before initiating a charge back.

I've had some similar issues where AA messed up and monkeyed up my flights. I've paid to sort it out as I needed to get on a flight and then called back to get it refunded.
Spiff, Thysk, Often1 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 11:43 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
I wouldn’t call. That could take hours. Your time has value, and it’s not your job to fix AAs mistakes.

Send AA a single, short, crystal-clear email with your demands and any appropriate evidence. If they don’t reply with a satisfactory resolution, file a chargeback.

Corporations get too much benefit of the doubt these days. Put the burden on them. If they can’t prove you owe the money, then you don’t. End or story.
Thysk, strickerj, bl-ord and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just remember and remind AA in what ever means you should to contact them... they asked you to call them...
Old Nov 9, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
What's the whole story, OP?
Old Nov 9, 2020, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by _fx
I wouldn’t call. That could take hours. Your time has value, and it’s not your job to fix AAs mistakes.

Send AA a single, short, crystal-clear email with your demands and any appropriate evidence. If they don’t reply with a satisfactory resolution, file a chargeback.

Corporations get too much benefit of the doubt these days. Put the burden on them. If they can’t prove you owe the money, then you don’t. End or story.
That is a poor idea as it ill only compound the problem. Although a chargeback is certainly in order and OP will almost certainly prevail, that will leave the e-ticket with an add/collect which will result in either being required to pay the $50 at the airport on departure or more likely, having the e-ticket cancelled and refunded.

That will then lead to spending hours on the phone having the ticket reinstated and the fee refunded while crediting the fee should not take more than 5 minutes + hold time (which these days is not bad other than at peak times).

If you must file a chargeback, wait until you have flown the ticket.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Twitter

I suggest using the AA twitter account. In general, I've found corporate twitter accounts are operated by more capable CSRs than the call centers.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by _fx

I've found far better results sorting issues like this on the phone. It's faster too.
JJeffrey, SPN Lifer and fmastr like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.