Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXPLT members: is the lack of getting 2021 SWU challenging you?

Old Nov 7, 20, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

Iíve been a long-time EXPLT, with most travel internationally. Unlike DL and NZ, among others, who are giving their status-extended top tier elites a new batch of SWUs for use during all of 2021, AA is not. I havenít used any of my 2020 eVIPs and am hoping AA will either extend those eVIPs by an additional 6+ months, or better, provide 2-4 new ones that are valid to Jan22. As a result of not being able to have any upgrades for use in the second half of 2021, when Intíl travel is hopefully starting to recover, Iím not likely to pursue EXPLT status in 2021. As such, Iím not motivated to make use of the promo to travel now, with those credits applying to my 2021 balance, and instead will become a free agent for 2021. I hope AA will soon rectify this situation as I actually like AAóI imagine Iím not the only EXPLT to feel this way, especially for those of us who earn primarily internationally and particularly for those of us on the West Coast where AA is no longer competitive internationally.
afmiami likes this.
Old Nov 7, 20, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Given what is happening with COVID numbers I see no material recovery in International travel for most of 2021. Most certainly business International travel will be near gone. One could use this year's earned SWUs on long(er) haul domestic flights I suppose. But there's just isn't going to be demand for using those SWUs on International flights this year because few will be taking them.
Old Nov 7, 20, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
I think plenty of folks will requal with the reduced requirements (I just did and now have 6 SWUs, 2 from this year and 4 new ones). Looks like my 2 from this year have already been extended to 7/31/2021. I'm not too worried about usability... there are still enough places Americans can go to give opportunity to use them.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Nov 7, 20, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
I agree, it's disappointing, but who knows, maybe it'll still change. Back when the extension was granted, it still looked like international travel this year would resume.

I've been "stuck" in Japan since March myself and they aren't wanting to fully open our border until spring time. I think residents are going to be able to come and go soon without quarantine on return, but still quite limited on where we can go. Living here, with our without eVIPs in the second half of next year, it's going to be challenging to requal, even with the reduced requirements unless things really start opening up soon.
anchor79 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 20, 12:24 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
I went from at least one international vacation every other month to zero.

I honestly do not see me going back to Bali, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Aruba, etc until 2022.

MY SWUs expire July 31, 2021 and I hope they extend them.
Old Nov 8, 20, 3:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Find it hard to write- but Chairman Parker has been beyond generous extending EXP for an additional year with no qualifying, reducing EXP qualifying requirements for 2021, and allowing OCT-DEC 2020 EQD/EQM to be used for 2021 EXP qualifying. I don't think AA owes any EXP additional anything. Want awarded SWU for 2020, get on the plane, seven weeks left and the qualifying is easier than eating a pancake. Or better yet- buy some J tickets in 2021 and help AA a little.
Zacnlinc and ranran like this.
Old Nov 8, 20, 7:15 am

I'm fortunate enough that I still get to pick my 2019 150k EQM reward. Normally a slam dunk to pick the 2 extra SWU, but seriously thinking of taking the 40k miles based on limited availability of the SWU and relative generous availability of domestic first class tickets at 20k miles.
355F1 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 20, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone View Post
Find it hard to write- but Chairman Parker has been beyond generous extending EXP for an additional year with no qualifying, reducing EXP qualifying requirements for 2021, and allowing OCT-DEC 2020 EQD/EQM to be used for 2021 EXP qualifying. I don't think AA owes any EXP additional anything. Want awarded SWU for 2020, get on the plane, seven weeks left and the qualifying is easier than eating a pancake. Or better yet- buy some J tickets in 2021 and help AA a little.
Oh gosh. I don’t believe the Dear Leader and other airline executives do things for prospective consumers out of generosity—they’re done to ensure that prospective customers who provide above-average profits remain loyal to the company and not to a competitor. My belief (armchair analyst) is that *some* EXP will over the next 2+ months, decide that they’re going to become free agents in 2021 as a result of AA extending unused 2020 SWUs only to mid-2021 and not for a full year. The carriers need to retain their customer base now even more than ever, especially frequent flying international pax. Given US consolidation of domestic markets, there’s less free agent action amongst domestic elites. I’d be surprised if AA doesn’t announce extension of the 2020 SWUs and other instruments beyond mid-2021 given the slow uptake of international travel during the second half of 2020.
robertablake and Joe1690 like this.
Old Nov 12, 20, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Given that UA just today announced additional improvements to qualifying for status, and an additional 6 month extension to SWUs (ie, ones that should have expired 31Jan21, and a few months ago extended to 31Jul21, are now extended to 31Jan22), we should be hearing AA’s similar changes in the coming days. Problem solved.
Old Nov 12, 20, 3:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
SWUs have been basically worthless to me, as I've only been able to use twice (not roundtrip) - this goes back to the US Airways upgrade. I only tried to use them internationally which is normally 3x/yr but not great results.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Feb 26, 21, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT View Post
Given that UA just today announced additional improvements to qualifying for status, and an additional 6 month extension to SWUs (ie, ones that should have expired 31Jan21, and a few months ago extended to 31Jul21, are now extended to 31Jan22), we should be hearing AAís similar changes in the coming days. Problem solved.
Those coming days are taking a while, eh? Still no sign of AA SWU extension beyond July 2021.
Old Feb 28, 21, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Yep. Surprised they’re not taking action to better retain elites. Can only speak for myself, but the elite level requirements for 2021 aren’t reasonably achievable for me, so I’m not even bothering this year to try to make them. As a result, I’m not bothering to purchase revenue tickets on AA anymore. Reducing requirements by only 20%, when business travel isn’t coming back anytime soon, most high yield international markets aren’t open for leisure or work travel, and fares themselves are low (therefore, the high EXP EQD are a joke), means that I’m not going to chase AA status until the requirements are more realistic. Unlike Hyatt, which reasonably set 2021 hurdles at 50% of usual levels, for incremental elites (ie, ones who aren’t captive to AA, either due to where they live or because of corporate contracts) why even bother pursuing AA high level elite this year?
enviroian and Joe1690 like this.
Old Mar 1, 21, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Alaska MVP75, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by SFO_FT View Post
Yep. Surprised theyíre not taking action to better retain elites. Can only speak for myself, but the elite level requirements for 2021 arenít reasonably achievable for me, so Iím not even bothering this year to try to make them. As a result, Iím not bothering to purchase revenue tickets on AA anymore. Reducing requirements by only 20%, when business travel isnít coming back anytime soon, most high yield international markets arenít open for leisure or work travel, and fares themselves are low (therefore, the high EXP EQD are a joke), means that Iím not going to chase AA status until the requirements are more realistic. Unlike Hyatt, which reasonably set 2021 hurdles at 50% of usual levels, for incremental elites (ie, ones who arenít captive to AA, either due to where they live or because of corporate contracts) why even bother pursuing AA high level elite this year?
+1
Old Mar 1, 21, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Not at all. I actually have only used one SWU in the last six years (on DCA-MCO no less). The rest have all expired unused.
Old Mar 2, 21, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Did some research on this. UA reduced their requirements by more than for existing 1K. Went from 24,000 PQP to 11,250 PQP. And, on top of that, 2x PQP for first 3 trips in 1Q2021. Regardless, that’s a more than 50% decrease. Hyatt providing a 50% decrease. IATA, the airline trade organization, has recently projected that 2021 travel miles will be down 45%, with revenues down 55%. Would make sense for AA to similarly cut elite requirements 50% across the board to maintain their customer base.
Joe1690 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: