Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXPLT members: is the lack of getting 2021 SWU challenging you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXPLT members: is the lack of getting 2021 SWU challenging you?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
AA would be very foolish not to reduce their EQD and EQM for this year. They probably thought more international markets would be open when they revised it last summer and obviously that's not the case so EQD and EQM are tough to come by.
Joe1690 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I'm going with the minority opinion. If you weren't able to make EXP in 2020, and are not going to make EXP in 2021, you likely are no longer a priority/ key customer for Chairman Parker. F travel by USA carriers is a near oligopoly, you have limited choices and AA ,DL, and UA executive management know that very well.

When you start flying again, whatever year that will be, call customer relations, tell them you were EXP for xx years in a row, and ask them to reinstate you. AA likely will, on a challenge basis.

Last edited by GunsOfNavarone; Mar 3, 2021 at 2:50 pm
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EP
Thinking we will see expiring SWUs extended til 12/3/21 with the SYD provision that all I need to do is confirm by 12-31.

Hoping they don’t blanket extend status again — once great. 2x a little much. Doubt they will lower requirements again, but maybe offer additional EQD/EQM promos.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
The calculation AA will be making for (1) another blanket extension vs (2) don't is driven primarily by the opportunity cost of losing a group of pax that historically have been your best customers (both in yield per flight and volume/number of flights). The folks at AA are actually pretty smart and they certainly know that the opportunity cost of losing high-yield is a high one. Those pax either become carrier-agnostic kayaks or loyal to a competitor, neither of which benefits AA. The costs of providing an additional year of EXP--as it was for this year--is pretty small to AA but the opportunity costs--both for 2022 and long-term--are enormous.

In the absence of broadly achievable/realistic requirements, one approach they might do is to provide a soft landing (ie, extend for an additional year, but at a level one below current) along with a 90-day challenge to maintain one's current level.
Joe1690 likes this.

Last edited by SFO_FT; Mar 3, 2021 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
The calculation AA will be making for (1) another blanket extension vs (2) don't is driven primarily by the opportunity cost of losing a group of pax that historically have been your best customers (both in yield per flight and volume/number of flights). The folks at AA are actually pretty smart and they certainly know that the opportunity cost of losing high-yield is a high one. Those pax either become carrier-agnostic kayaks or loyal to a competitor, neither of which benefits AA. The costs of providing an additional year of EXP--as it was for this year--is pretty small to AA but the opportunity costs--both for 2022 and long-term--are enormous.

In the absence of broadly achievable/realistic requirements, one approach they might do is to provide a soft landing (ie, extend for an additional year, but at a level one below current) along with a 90-day challenge to maintain one's current level.
I have been a EXP for what I recall is 9 consecutive years. And I know I mean nothing to AA if I am not bringing them revenue in any calendar year, and even then I likely don't mean anything. No erroneous sense of self worth here.

Seeing people paying $75 for checked bags on a regular basis flying main cabin, can't help but wonder if Chairman Parker deep down inside as the "Dr Evil" of the US passenger aviation market, likes that aloof coach passenger paying $75 for bags more than EXPs like you and me.....
Old Mar 3, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
I have been a EXP for what I recall is 9 consecutive years. And I know I mean nothing to AA if I am not bringing them revenue in any calendar year, and even then I likely don't mean anything. No erroneous sense of self worth here.

Seeing people paying $75 for checked bags on a regular basis flying main cabin, can't help but wonder if Chairman Parker deep down inside as the "Dr Evil" of the US passenger aviation market, likes that aloof coach passenger paying $75 for bags more than EXPs like you and me.....
I couldn't agree more, people end up paying more flying Spirit or paying for checked bags in a year than we do to earn just even Gold it seems... I laughed at your post. Too true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.