Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2020, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD

Re-qualified for PLT this year for the first time in many years. I'm $2k EQDs and 5k EQMs short of PPRO and just received an email with an offer to buy up ("boost up" in their terms) to PPRO. Cost is $2985 or 298.5k miles

No thanks. (sorry the image has a bunch of blank space padding)
onanisland likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
I just got the buy up to Platinum offer. I’ll be there before year end, I’m six segments away.

It was $895 or 89,500 miles.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I no longer have any status with AA and received an offer for lowly Gold for a mere $1,515.00 or 151.5K miles.

Gee whiz, such a wonderful and generous offer.....

However, I guess I'll have to pass as I'm now retired and am not flying very much these days....and when I do, I'm either buying domestic first class seats or using miles for international first or business class travel.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
I need 4 segments for Plat Pro. My offer was $1,395 or $140K in miles

I'm always surprised the offers aren't more proportionate to what is actually needed. There's simply no value in this offer....
onanisland likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
First I don't think that nearly $3K is worth it. Yes domestic upgrades will be complimentary but upgrading as an PP is a crapshoot, particularly if business travel begins to rebound next year. Second, if you $2K short I'd just go buy a few J tickets to get the miles and dollars. Ultimately you'd save yourself about $1K flying versus the buyup, assuming you have extra time to travel.
rayfes likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 7:40 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Currently Plat Pro, got a buy up to Executive Plat for 2800 dollars.

Thanks, but no thanks, since my travels this year will get me to Ex-Plat.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I'm EXP w/ 8824 EQDs (176 away, will earn them tomorrow) and 69,101 EQMs (so, more than enough). Mine says "no offers available."

Wife is PLT w/ 5894 EQDs (so, 106 away from PPRO, will also earn them tomorrow) and 51,864 EQMs (also more than enough for PPRO). Her offer is $395 or 39,500 miles. No thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
$150 EQD short, was offered for $625 or 62.5k miles. Luckily have a few flights in the coming weeks so not even thinking about it. Too bad I can't use part of my flight credits towards this, if I really needed to.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
I no longer have any status with AA and received an offer for lowly Gold for a mere $1,515.00 or 151.5K miles.

Gee whiz, such a wonderful and generous offer.....

However, I guess I'll have to pass as I'm now retired and am not flying very much these days....and when I do, I'm either buying domestic first class seats or using miles for international first or business class travel.
Such a deal ,,,,,,,,,,,,, considering how easy it is to make Gold this year and the flights for the last quarter also count toward next year
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I'm Platinum, currently about $1,500 EQD and 7,000 EQM short of Platinum Pro, and only one more AA flight scheduled before the end of the year: ORD to LAX in Y, so not something that will take me close to the PP threshold. My AA offer is $2,445 or 244,500 miles. If I were going to spend $2,500 on AA I'd at least want to get a decent flight or two in J or F out of it! That amount of money just for a year of upgrade opportunities (when business travel will likely increase, at least a bit, and a load of EXPs will come back into the fold): not worth it.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Hoping to get a buyback offer.... None at this time.

Wondering what the offer will be for a four dollar EXP shortage.

Zacnlinc and romans like this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Currently just under $1k EQD from Plat, offer to buy up $1,775. Even if I wasn’t going to qualify on my own this week that would be a solid no. We’ll see if they change the offer to Plat Pro once I qualify and for how much!
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by joeyE
I need 4 segments for Plat Pro. My offer was $1,395 or $140K in miles

I'm always surprised the offers aren't more proportionate to what is actually needed. There's simply no value in this offer....
Have you met AA's analysts? Most couldn't crunch basic numbers if their frat lives depended on it.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by fly747first
Have you met AA's analysts? Most couldn't crunch basic numbers if their frat lives depended on it.
I'd like to think they've got some pretty smart, dual-degree people staffing those positions....but then I see these offers, or I get an offer to upgrade a short 3-segment trip for $2,400 and start thinking you're onto something.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by merlin90
My AA offer is $2,445 or 244,500 miles. If I were going to spend $2,500 on AA I'd at least want to get a decent flight or two in J or F out of it! That amount of money just for a year of upgrade opportunities (when business travel will likely increase, at least a bit, and a load of EXPs will come back into the fold): not worth it.
I have a similar offer, for EXP, but have no plans nor desire to fly. My company has halted any business travel through at least 3/1/21, and it will probably be extended to 7/1 if not further.
Most of my miles come from mileage runs I did in January. I took one personal trip on AA in August, but was not satisfied with the aircraft cleanliness nor how they handled safety to want to repeat it.

I'm considering using miles for my offer. I have tons of miles, and no plans to use them. But I'm not sure when I'll want to travel, and if there will be enough safe time in 2021 to take advantage of SWU's, and the status too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.