Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA testing for Hawaii - Carenow is not listed on Hawaii site?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2020, 11:24 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott

AA site for Testing list partner Carenow
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...19-testing.jsp

But the Hawaii site doesn't list Carenow as a trusted lab?
https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

But they do list AA as knowing the rules, so a little confused.
Anyone used Carenow and gone to Hawaii recently. Just want to make sure that I can avoid the 14 day.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
https://crankyflier.com/2020/11/03/p...-a-better-way/

American is listed as a partner, but the companies it uses are not listed as partners. So can you use them? Yes, because apparently the partner of my partner is also a partner, or something like that. That’s not in any way clear on the website, and it may have started a minor panic at American when I pointed that out.
aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
It would be good if the Govt of Hawaii would make that clear
fotographer and Often1 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I’m scheduled to fly to GRU next week for three nights but want to change my ticket to HNL instead due to safety concerns.

I have searched several threads and remain completely confused regarding the required negative covid test only by the trusted testing and travel partners only. Is the care now sufficient to get a test at? If not where can I find a trusted partner in my area?

very frustrating.

thank you.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hawaii has completely botched turning these requirements into a plain English flow chart with click through information. One has to wonder how many people have simply passed on traveling because it is so poorly done.
AANYC1981 and apeortdz like this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

“The state of Hawaii will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS”

what the hell is NAAT? Same as PCR?

Walgreens and CVS are listed as trusted partners but no where on their website is there mention of “NAAT” not to mention 24 hour TAT.

This has got to be the most cluster f’d, half assed SOP by the Hawaii tourism bureau.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would you trust an AA tweet to avoid a quarantine?

Old Nov 21, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
what the hell is NAAT? Same as PCR?
my hunch is that all PCR is NAAT, but some rapid tests are also NAAT. Hawaii accepts the 15 minute DFW test which I don't think is PCR... who knows.

Would you trust an AA tweet to avoid a quarantine?
____ no.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
This was my experience a few weeks ago:

CareNow @ DFW
For AA flyers heading to HNL or OGG from DFW, the rapid test at the CareNow clinic near gate D40 is the way to go...as long as you're not on a budget.

Two days before flying out on an 11am departure, I was able to sign up for a 9am rapid testing slot morning of my flight (you can only take the test on date of departure). I arrived about 15 minutes early and no one else was waiting. Small amount of paper work, then led to a cubicle where they did a mid-nostril swab. No discomfort at all. Results followed quickly. Overall process, from arrival to receiving result was <30 minutes.

The only downside was that result was provided by hard copy only. So, I headed over to the nearby gate seating, photographed the test result page, converted that to a .pdf and uploaded it to the Safe Travels site where I had registered previously. For the technologically challenged, this could be daunting. Filled out the health questionnaire and had a QR code well before boarding at about 10:15. I even had time to nip into the Terminal D Admirals Club where they graciously printed out the QR code for me.

On arrival to OGG, I was first out of the 777, but a prior landing had the line backed up 50 yards or so. The operation was running smoothly, however, so I was at the head of the line in less than 30 minutes. They scanned the QR code, checked id and the test result, handed me my pink exemption from quarantine sheet and out I went. Printed QR code was not needed.

That's about it. Cost of the test, btw, was $250. Yeah, it's a lot. I suppose its worth depends on how you value your convenience...and in my case, the absence of good alternatives after my initial flight plans were scrubbed due to a misconnect and a previous test result expired. I might have bagged the trip altogether except for a prepaid condo and a strong desire to avoid cold weather.
There's a whole other thread addressing this too...here.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To hell with it.

I booked three nights in EYW.

You lost my tourist $$ Hawaii.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
To hell with it.

I booked three nights in EYW.

You lost my tourist $$ Hawaii.
I’d love to spend $$ in Hawaii since we can work from anywhere now but HI isn’t getting my business because of these nebulous ever changing rules and the awful testing delays etc.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by mczlaw
This was my experience a few weeks ago
amazing, thanks for this. We're going via DFW to OGG as well. Getting AA awards on the lie flat 777 for 45k, and using Hyatt points for a week at the Andaz = we can suck up the $250
AANYC1981, Gerbs and mczlaw like this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I had a good experience using CareNow at DFW also:

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Sharing my experience using the in-terminal CareNow test facility at DFW airport this week. My route was LHR-DFW-HNL with an overnight at the convenient Grand Hyatt at DFW.

As of right now, CareNow is not explicitly listed as an approved provider on the Safe Travels Hawaii website, but it is indeed part of the approved partnership with AA and their test results are indeed accepted by the state.

It was easy to “check in” online for an appointment at my preferred time, about four days in advance. It might help others to know that, in the context of CareNow, “check-in” means “schedule an appointment”. So I would recommend that you "check in" as soon as you know your travel plans.

Although it doesn’t specify this on the CareNow website, the test site is airside, in the south end of the connector between terminals B and D. The nearest gate is D40 but the site is not at D40.

Being airside, it would be a tricky situation if you were to test positive. The paperwork you are required to sign in order to use the test facility indicates that the test results will be shared with AA. Who knows if they actually do that, but if you test positive, then perhaps they will have to offload your luggage.

There were two people in line when I arrived, around 9:15 am. The test site is quiet and comfortable. I filled out some paperwork and was called into a test cubicle within two minutes.

A nice nurse came in and swabbed my nose -- note it was just my nostrils, not the long or deep swab that exists in other places. Because of work, I’ve had lots of COVID tests, long swabs and short swabs, and this was the easiest of all. Felt like it went about half an inch into my nose. Not painful or uncomfortable in the slightest.

They told me to wait in the testing cubicle for my results, which took about 15 minutes. The results are presented on a piece of letter size paper with the test company logo at the top, your personal details handwritten on the left side, and the sticker printout from the lab machine stuck on the right side.

Nobody was rushing me to leave, so I stayed in the cubicle for long enough to scan my test results and upload them to the Safe Travels Hawaii website. By the time I reached the Admirals Club at gate D24 a few minutes later, the document status had changed from “Verification in Process” to “COVID NEGATIVE”.

All in all, a very easy and smooth process. This will be my preferred LHR-HNL route for the foreseeable future
The cost was $245, which I felt was entirely reasonable in the context of my trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.