Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA done anything to reduce Gate crowding?

Old Oct 25, 20, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG

My apologizes if posted elsewhere, I did searches and did not find answer.

In light of COVID, has AA done anything to mitigate gate lice? Pre-covid they were the worst airline in allowing the boarding process to be a free for all IMO.

The guy from VFTW posted a link with little detail (go figure) that gate 35X (DCA) was operational again and still running a single bus. If true SMH. I am interested in understanding ground truth. I have not flown since late March.

Thanks!

In light of COVID, has AA done anything to mitigate gate lice? Pre-covid they were the worst airline in allowing the boarding process to be a free for all IMO.

The guy from VFTW posted a link with little detail (go figure) that gate 35X (DCA) was operational again and still running a single bus. If true SMH. I am interested in understanding ground truth. I have not flown since late March.

Thanks!

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 28, 20 at 9:17 am Reason: Change post title to refocus on purpose
Old Oct 25, 20, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Has AA done anthing to reduce Gate Lice?

Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 20, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
still the same.. so dont worry , if you looking for pre departure entertainment .. you will have it
Old Oct 26, 20, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
There's nothing that really can be done. Gate space is too small to segregate paxs into their respective groups and you can't expect GAs to go around and swat the gate lice away. If one is so concerned about COVID my suggestion would be to check your second larger bag and board at the very end.
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old Oct 26, 20, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
As you approach the gate area start coughing very loudly and aggressively. Seems to part the lice pretty quickly.

Just make sure the GA doesn't hear you or you might not be let on the plane.
Old Oct 26, 20, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George View Post
There's nothing that really can be done. Gate space is too small to segregate paxs into their respective groups and you can't expect GAs to go around and swat the gate lice away. If one is so concerned about COVID my suggestion would be to check your second larger bag and board at the very end.
This is the Old School solution -- it works well, as long as you are checking luggage (or have v-e-r-y minimal carry-ons).

Of course none of this matter for COVID if you are seated near someone who is shedding virus.
Old Oct 26, 20, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
As you approach the gate area start coughing very loudly and aggressively. Seems to part the lice pretty quickly.

Just make sure the GA doesn't hear you or you might not be let on the plane.
LOL Watch it
Old Oct 26, 20, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
No, but they are doing a great job of deplaning. Row by Row and most people are compliant. Bravo to AA. I hope they keep this up.
Old Oct 26, 20, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
My last few flights out of SFO the GA have been a little bit more " COVID-19" conscience. When the "lice" start to gather, the GA tends to "shoo" them away when boarding is closer to starting. And even when boarding is active, the GA's are asking people to "distance" themselves. Often, after passing the GA, I'm able to walk directly on to the plane and in my seat shortly there afterward.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 20, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I flew recently with DL and B6 and their back to front boarding process, really went orderly and people did a good job respecting waiting for their sections to be called. AA, not so much, chaos just like before.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Oct 26, 20, 9:24 pm

deplaning

Upon arrival in MIA, a sweet little old gal almost jumped over me to get off. The FA explained in Spanish, that she should wait until her row moved. The minute we started moving, she somehow catapulted over me again, just to get to her wheelchair that much faster!
AAway, apeortdz, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 27, 20, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George View Post
I disagree. All of the groups have found room somewhere near the gate. This issue is the ones with higher group numbers, not taking a position close to the beginning of the queue.
Old Oct 27, 20, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
I disagree. All of the groups have found room somewhere near the gate. This issue is the ones with higher group numbers, not taking a position close to the beginning of the queue.
Perhaps they could color-code the floor. Space immediately in front of the boarding lanes is 'movement only' colored in red. Off to the sides they could have a first class section (blue), elites (green), MCE (black), the others (yellow), etc.
Old Oct 27, 20, 9:02 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
It has been my experience that only the people who are typically the first to get on board are the ones who stand up 45 minutes before boarding. By that I mean people with status.

It makes no sense to me how they board everyone back to front (which is how it should be), but first class and people with status are allowed to get on first. It defeats the whole purpose of back to front which I assume is to limit contact with people.
Old Oct 27, 20, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
If I'm in GRP1, I do stand at the front of the line and que up 10 minutes before. Why? Because I'm going to be sitting in 1ACDF and know there is no floor storage so it's imperative I get my roller in that bin.

If I'm in GRP2 I also que up 10 minutes early but not near the barriers are but off to the side and by no means do I impede access to GRP1 folks. Why? Because most of the time I'm in 5/7/8 (depending on what aircraft I'm on with the 1st Y row being bulkhead) ACDF and like row 1 I want to get my bag up there. No one wants to swim upstream. I've done it and it's painful.
apeortdz and taxatty56 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: