Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has AA done anything to reduce Gate crowding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has AA done anything to reduce Gate crowding?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Didn't Alison Taylor (Chief Customer Officer for AA) announce in the original "Clean Commitment" promotional video that the American gates would be regularly sprayed to eliminate gate lice gate crowding?
Old Oct 28, 2020, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by jcatman
Didn't Alison Taylor (Chief Customer Officer for AA) announce in the original "Clean Commitment" promotional video that the American gates would be regularly sprayed to eliminate gate lice gate crowding?
Sure she did... just like she posted fake pictures of the brownbag sandwiches AA is serving in F now when they don't look at all like those pictures
Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Back on topic: CLT is one of the worst places for this, and they already did some remodeling! Even in pre-covid times there were not enough seats near the gates. The most irritating thing is during the boarding process people line up into the corridors, blocking the entire section for everyone. This is not even talking about the clustermess that is life in "E".
robertablake and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Uzzar
Back on topic: CLT is one of the worst places for this, and they already did some remodeling! Even in pre-covid times there were not enough seats near the gates. The most irritating thing is during the boarding process people line up into the corridors, blocking the entire section for everyone. This is not even talking about the clustermess that is life in "E".
I’ve always hated CLT, though the one redeeming part of it is that it now has a Centurion Lounge. The gate areas and corridors in B and C are disastrous, tiny, dreary, and just a CF. A single louse or two can create a backlog that spills into the entire concourse walkway and other gates.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Uzzar
Originally Posted by cmd320
I’ve always hated CLT, though the one redeeming part of it is that it now has a Centurion Lounge. The gate areas and corridors in B and C are disastrous, tiny, dreary, and just a CF. A single louse or two can create a backlog that spills into the entire concourse walkway and other gates.
I could agree with you both, three weeks ago, there was no space for social distancing in both CLT concourse B and concourse C. Same for the main food court area in the center of the terminal.

I guess this is related that AA has shifted most of their operations to CLT as their east-coast transfer hub.

While PHL, DCA, LGA, ORD, etc... ( American terminals ) are close to empty ( PHL a bit more crowded maybe ), CLT is always crowded.
cmd320 and robertablake like this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 1:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please keep threads on topic. In this instance, it’s gate crowding and it’s effects, whether it continues during Covid protocols established by AA, the airport or applicable ordinances, not what may or not be “political correctness”, piling on members because of what they sai or they were thought to have said by implication, etc.

As well, please refrain from discussing moderator or moderator actions. If you have questions about moderation, please contact the moderators directly via PM. Thread titles may be changed by moderators to reflect topics more accurately, or to use terms that are better known. In this instance the original title’s “gate lice” was retained as the original post title, but the thread title was changed for topic clarity even to those who may not be cognizant of American colloquialisms.

Posts that were dilatory to the purpose of this thread or otherwise not meeting FlyerTalk Rules have been deleted.

JDiver, Moderator
aztimm likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 29, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Old Oct 30, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I'm not just concerned about the boarding process itself. What about all the waiting areas? What kind of ventilation do airports have?

It's looking more and more like proper ventilation is key to reducing exposure risks.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spanish
I'm not just concerned about the boarding process itself. What about all the waiting areas? What kind of ventilation do airports have?

It's looking more and more like proper ventilation is key to reducing exposure risks.
Worse than the plane, that's for sure.

I'd guess it depends on the airport and how busy it is, but I really try to minimize my time in the 'general' area of the airport. I get to a lounge as quickly as possible and from there get on the plane as quickly as possible.
Spanish likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worse than the plane, that's for sure.

I'd guess it depends on the airport and how busy it is, but I really try to minimize my time in the 'general' area of the airport. I get to a lounge as quickly as possible and from there get on the plane as quickly as possible.
And also, the gate used. In Miami, there are many gates that make it pretty hard to have a somewhat orderly boarding process for a widebody when there are barely sufficient seats at the gate and everyone is anxious to board... doesn't help either that some agents start boarding group 2 when they know that half of group 1 is still trying to board. This is one thing that I love about being CK and getting absolute boarding priority being able to bypass any line if I'm running late.
JDiver and robertablake like this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
And also, the gate used. In Miami, there are many gates that make it pretty hard to have a somewhat orderly boarding process for a widebody when there are barely sufficient seats at the gate and everyone is anxious to board... doesn't help either that some agents start boarding group 2 when they know that half of group 1 is still trying to board. This is one thing that I love about being CK and getting absolute boarding priority being able to bypass any line if I'm running late.
Yeah, the big one that comes to mind for me is D16 (I think) where it's essentially a gate in a broom closet. Luckily I've never had to actually depart from there before.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, the big one that comes to mind for me is D16 (I think) where it's essentially a gate in a broom closet. Luckily I've never had to actually depart from there before.
Some of the middle D gates are directly opposite of popular dining venues like Versailles Cafe so essentially you get lots of traffic from those places (especially now that people are buying more food knowing the airlines won't even sell them any) plus the traffic from your own flight. MIA has grown too much and its design is pretty poor for the most part.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I've departed from the gate more times that I can remember. The key is to go all the to the back where the power outlets are located. The issue is that most airports were designed and built when load factors were in the 70% or less range. Even when MIA D was conceived 15 plus years ago airlines were not flying completely packed planes. There's no escaping the crowds. Announcements from the GAs (in both English and Spanish) and a strong warning that if you board out of order you will be turned away can help but some people are just too dense or self important. Some of the worst are F paxs blocking the lane from pre boards and CKs.
enviroian, cmd320 and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Announcements from the GAs (in both English and Spanish) and a strong warning that if you board out of order you will be turned away can help but some people are just too dense or self important. Some of the worst are F paxs blocking the lane from pre boards and CKs.
And what is worse, when they accuse you of skipping the line because they are so ignorant and don't realize that CKs board before F
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Smile What? Huh? Who?

Adding to the Gate Chaos, there are some CrAApy PA Systems, and some GA's with Heavy Accents, or speak too softly, too fast etc. Granted I'm an Old Dude that spent my life around Loud Machinery, Racecars and Firearms. so my hearing isn't what it should be, but there are times I have no idea what's being announced and everyone around me has a puzzled look on their face as well! RT
cmd320 and Uzzar like this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 12:18 pm
C46

Originally Posted by roadtriper
Adding to the Gate Chaos, there are some CrAApy PA Systems, and some GA's with Heavy Accents, or speak too softly, too fast etc. Granted I'm an Old Dude that spent my life around Loud Machinery, Racecars and Firearms. so my hearing isn't what it should be, but there are times I have no idea what's being announced and everyone around me has a puzzled look on their face as well! RT
I find it extremely difficult, when these CB-radio style microphones are used. So, at U.S.-airport & LHR T3, I hardly understood the announcements. I knew what was said...but the audio quality was crap!

But even with proper mics, some GAs try to "eat it up" and are far to close to it. In the end, only distorted jibberish can be heard - PMI, I'm looking at your direction!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.