FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA changes the confirmed upgrade (C and A ) process [EF now updated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2027409-aa-changes-confirmed-upgrade-c-process-ef-now-updated.html)

1/4MM@20 Oct 23, 2020 7:20 am

AA changes the confirmed upgrade (C and A ) process [EF now updated]

Looking at Expertflyer, all domestic 3 class flights show A0 for the entire schedule (other than day of / day before the flight). A class tickets are still for sale but per Expert Flyer Customer Service, revenue A class is now a different fare bucket.

If this is true, the BXP1upgrades have just been massively devalued. Or could this be the writing on the wall that 3 class domestic service is coming to an end?

FlyerBeek Oct 23, 2020 9:41 am

Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20 (Post 32767712)
Looking at Expertflyer, all domestic 3 class flights show A0 for the entire schedule (other than day of / day before the flight). A class tickets are still for sale but per Expert Flyer Customer Service, revenue A class is now a different fare bucket.

If this is true, the BXP1upgrades have just been massively devalued. Or could this be the writing on the wall that 3 class domestic service is coming to an end?

Very interesting find. I noticed the same complete lack of A inventory on EF yesterday when searching LAX-JFK for next year, but (as you noted) I didn't realize that AA.com was still selling A on this route (and at a 2x premium compared to the discounted business class). I wonder if this is somehow related to the recent issues EF has experienced displaying C inventory (despite the inventory actually existing)?

-FlyerBeek

JJeffrey Oct 23, 2020 9:49 am

Most likely related to AA updating their systems so that not all A space is created equal. Just a guess.

TPG - American Limits Upgrade Space...

355F1 Oct 23, 2020 9:57 am

AA changes the confirmed upgrade process (less useful C & A Space searching on EF)

From TPG:

​​​​​​https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...upgrade-space/

​​

...finding availability might be harder next time you’re ready to redeem an upgrade with AA. That’s because American is making changes to the upgrade process.

...As part of AA’s change to the upgrade process, the Fort Worth-based carrier is adjusting how many seats are available as upgrades, according to a carrier spokesperson. The adjustment will apply to both systemwide and mileage upgrades (and Business Extra ones too).

Before this change, it was quite easy to determine if there was an upgrade available on a given AA flight. Upgrading from coach to biz required seats in the “C” fare class. For a bump from biz to Flagship First, flyers would need to find space in the “A” fare class. (“A” was also used interchangeably with a paid first-class ticket.)

If there was space in either class, then you knew that an upgrade was available. (If there wasn’t, you could always waitlist an upgrade in the hopes that space opened up closer to departure.)

Now, that’s changing. Going forward, even if there are seats in the “A” and “C” classes, upgrades to biz and first won’t necessarily be available. A spokesperson confirmed that the carrier will only offer a subset of seats in these fare classes for upgrades. (American is adding revenue fares to the “C” class.)

You can search for space when making a booking at AA.com or by calling reservations.

AA confirmed that upgrade space will continue to be managed on a leg-by-leg basis. That means that you’ll see the same space on a flight from LAX to JFK regardless of whether you’ve booked it as a single segment or as part of a larger itinerary (like LAX to LHR with a stop in JFK). This is in stark contrast to mileage redemptions. In recent years, AA has been transitioning to offering dynamic award availability based on your end-to-end journey.

Antarius Oct 23, 2020 10:14 am

So, basically EF is hosed. :(

I guess aa.com now is the only place for looking to confirm?

asnovici Oct 23, 2020 10:16 am

This is unfortunate. And customer unfriendly.

Does one have to have SWU in their account to see the availability? What if one wants to use miles and copay instead?

UA-NYC Oct 23, 2020 11:50 am

And yet, for example, if you look at JFK-LHR tonight, endless empty seats in business - yet no indication on AA.com that there is any systemwide upgrade space. At all.

As one more familiar w/UA than AA...am I missing something here?

chicagoflyer1976 Oct 23, 2020 12:05 pm

I don't think the "No More C & A Space searching on EF" is accurate. You can still search for that inventory. If you find it, it just might mean it's not available for upgrades.

MarkOK Oct 23, 2020 12:13 pm

Yeah, I think the only consequence of this is that EF is harder to use for screening upgrade space. The amount of upgrade space always seemed so arbitrary anyways, and extremely limited.

drewp123 Oct 23, 2020 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976 (Post 32768325)
I don't think the "No More C & A Space searching on EF" is accurate. You can still search for that inventory. If you find it, it just might mean it's not available for upgrades.

The issue is that previously we could rely on just EF, book and call to apply.

Now, if we must call to confirm, or use the AA site, then why not just begin there and forget EF altogether?

Antarius Oct 23, 2020 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976 (Post 32768325)

I mean, yes. But the only reason to search for A and C was upgrades.

enviroian Oct 23, 2020 12:22 pm

Just canceled my EF subscription. Sorry guys your website is now worthless.

aztimm Oct 23, 2020 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32768358)
Just canceled my EF subscription. Sorry guys your website is now worthless.

Is Expert Flyer no longer a good tool to look for award space on partners anymore either?

dkc192 Oct 23, 2020 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 32768383)
Is Expert Flyer no longer a good tool to look for award space on partners anymore either?

Depends on the partner. Some of the most popular OW premium cabin awards are not visible on EF, e.g. CX, QR, JL.

JJeffrey Oct 23, 2020 2:24 pm

Edit...removed...