Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA makes good on throwing off passenger for not wearing mask

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA makes good on throwing off passenger for not wearing mask

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:40 am

Why not just put food and water bottles/drinks on your tray table. Then you don’t need to wear a mask. I flew R/T from CLT-LAS 2 times over the last few months on AA and only had the mask on during boarding/takeoff and landing/exiting. The rest of the time I was eating without a mask on. Can’t help it that I am always hungry and thirsty and a very slow eater.

Also had no issues on multiple flights to Memphis, Dallas, Chicago and Fargo on AA this year with no mask on while eating or drinking. Can’t understand why you can’t wear it for 20 mins during takeoff and 20 mins for landing and eat and drink the rest of the time.

Since I am fully vaccinated and I believe in the science about the vaccine I have no issues when others eat and drink without a mask on while flying or while eating inside at my favorite restaurant for a 2-3 hour meal.
ksucats and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Cardinalfan70
Since I am fully vaccinated and I believe in the science about the vaccine I have no issues when others eat and drink without a mask on while flying or while eating inside at my favorite restaurant for a 2-3 hour meal.
This. 100%. Actually, I have no issues when others engage in any activity without a mask on. I don't care anymore. And the more they beat the mask drum, the less I care.

Every time I hear the mask lecture I just roll my eyes and pull out my overpriced bottle of San Pellegrino.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by BobOscar
It's fine to not let a person board if they are not going to wear a mask. But to delay a plane-full of passengers an hour? And what happens if someone takes their mask off in flight? Are you going to return to DFW and throw them off? Make an emergency landing on the way to SFO and throw them off?
If they refuse to obey the FA, then they should be taken off in cuffs and charged with interfering with a flight crew on landing. I don't see why this isn't a cut and dry scenario. It's no different than any other BS that passengers try to pull. I'm so sick and tired of it. I was on A WN flight two weeks ago and half the people around me had their nose uncovered or a chin mask, or none at all, and the FA's did NOTHING about it. I complained to WN about it. If they aren't going to enforce the rules then ground the planes and crews until they no longer have to under Federal law.

I'm tired of special snowflakes who don't think the rules apply to them, whether it's dragging an over sized carry on or not wearing a mask or pouring their own booze or being a jerk in general. I'm sick of people behaving like hyenas.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cardinalfan70
Why not just put food and water bottles/drinks on your tray table. Then you don’t need to wear a mask. I flew R/T from CLT-LAS 2 times over the last few months on AA and only had the mask on during boarding/takeoff and landing/exiting. The rest of the time I was eating without a mask on. Can’t help it that I am always hungry and thirsty and a very slow eater.

Also had no issues on multiple flights to Memphis, Dallas, Chicago and Fargo on AA this year with no mask on while eating or drinking. Can’t understand why you can’t wear it for 20 mins during takeoff and 20 mins for landing and eat and drink the rest of the time.

You do realize that no vaccine is 100% effective, right?
jerseytom likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Annerk
You do realize that no vaccine is 100% effective, right?
So what?

For a generally healthy person under the age of, oh, 70 or whatever, your baseline risk of catching the disease and it doing anything of consequence to you is ridiculously miniscule. Vaccinated, even more miniscule (supposedly). For certain segments of the population (children), effectively zero at baseline.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:59 pm

If they refuse to obey the FA, then they should be taken off in cuffs and charged with interfering with a flight crew on landing. I don't see why this isn't a cut and dry scenario. It's no different than any other BS that passengers try to pull. I'm so sick and tired of it. I was on A WN flight two weeks ago and half the people around me had their nose uncovered or a chin mask, or none at all, and the FA's did NOTHING about it. I complained to WN about it. If they aren't going to enforce the rules then ground the planes and crews until they no longer have to under Federal law.

I'm tired of special snowflakes who don't think the rules apply to them, whether it's dragging an over sized carry on or not wearing a mask or pouring their own booze or being a jerk in general. I'm sick of people behaving like hyenas.
Good. You know what I'm tired of? Stupid, useless security theater under the guise of 'rules'. A sealed bottle of San Pellegrino I bought at Costco is somehow 'hazardous' on a plane but perfectly safe in an exposed trash can along with all the other 'dangerous' liquids. SYD even had a fountain where you could dump out your supposedly 'dangerous' liquid, where it would go down the drain, through the plumbing system, and into the city plumbing system, supposedly.

But somehow I can buy the same sealed bottle airside at a 1500% markup, break the seal, drink from it (or god knows what else one could do with an unsealed bottle of sparkling water), and somehow THAT bottle of San Pellegrino is safe to take on board.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by stupidhead
So what?

For a generally healthy person under the age of, oh, 70 or whatever, your baseline risk of catching the disease and it doing anything of consequence to you is ridiculously miniscule. Vaccinated, even more miniscule (supposedly). For certain segments of the population (children), effectively zero at baseline.
You missed people who are immuno-compromised or those who have underlying conditions that are nothing they could have prevented with a healthy lifestyle such as Type 1 diabetes, asthma, or a variety of auto-immune diseases which make them more succeptible.

Is it really that hard to wear a mask for a few hours to help keep other people healthy?
haveric, sushanna1, hbtr and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:02 pm

Good. You know what I'm tired of? Stupid, useless security theater under the guise of 'rules'. A sealed bottle of San Pellegrino I bought at Costco is somehow 'hazardous' on a plane but perfectly safe in an exposed trash can along with all the other 'dangerous' liquids.

But somehow I can buy the same sealed bottle airside at a 1500% markup, break the seal, drink from it (or god knows what else one could do with an unsealed bottle of sparkling water), and somehow THAT sealed bottle of San Pellegrino is safe to take on board.
Thanks for mansplaining. That is everything I need to know about what your opinion is of everyone but yourself.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:23 pm

Is it really that hard to wear a mask for a few hours to help keep other people healthy?
That's not the point. Masks are not 100% effective either, and zero covid risk is impossible for as long as we have some degree of functional economy.

It's on you to keep yourself healthy. It's on me to keep myself healthy. I operate under the baseline assumption that no one gives a flying rat's you know what about me, and most of the time, I'm correct. And I'm fine with that.

They can wear N95s, N99s, fully sealed, self-contained space suits, whatever.
tai4de2, yjc281, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.

Last edited by stupidhead; Oct 28, 2021 at 1:30 pm
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I really don't understand these people who really want to spend their money on AA flights and do not comply with the rules for an unknown reason and get kicked out.
They think they're making a political statement. It's just silly. I don't much appreciate the mask rules at this point, but when you buy the ticket you agree to abide by the rules.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 5:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
That's not the point. Masks are not 100% effective either, and zero covid risk is impossible for as long as we have some degree of functional economy.

It's on you to keep yourself healthy. It's on me to keep myself healthy. I operate under the baseline assumption that no one gives a flying rat's you know what about me, and most of the time, I'm correct. And I'm fine with that.

They can wear N95s, N99s, fully sealed, self-contained space suits, whatever.
Your opinion is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Look: nobody LIKES wearing masks. We get it. I'm triple-vaxxed and also had a breakthrough this summer so I'm not at all concerned about catching it again. But if you want to fly, you have to mask up. Stop whining about it.

Last edited by born sleepy; Oct 28, 2021 at 5:14 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 28, 2021, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by born sleepy
Your opinion is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Look: nobody LIKES wearing masks. We get it. I'm triple-vaxxed and also had a breakthrough this summer so I'm not at all concerned about catching it again. But if you want to fly, you have to mask up. Stop whining about it.
I'm still going to point out the abject stupidity of the "rules". I've never not worn a mask on a plane, and there's a polite, professional and diplomatic way to enforce virtue signaling stupidity, and there's the wrong way. Diverting a plane full of 200 people and wasting time and money over something this petty is the wrong way absent something that physically endangers the aircraft. I get that the crew are just doing their jobs, but we've seen plenty of instances where militant crew unnecessarily escalate the situation. Customer service is part of their job, and any FA who thinks otherwise should be summarily fired.

I don't know if the people making the rules are dumb or apathetic but they really shouldn't be surprised that there's pushback when some bureaucrat enforces stupidity with "rules". Theater is theater is theater. Nothing changes that. So it is relevant.

Last edited by stupidhead; Oct 28, 2021 at 7:40 pm
Old Oct 28, 2021, 10:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
You missed people who are immuno-compromised or those who have underlying conditions that are nothing they could have prevented with a healthy lifestyle such as Type 1 diabetes, asthma, or a variety of auto-immune diseases which make them more succeptible.

Fortunately, the airlines have advised us (I think correctly) that the air in a plane is among the cleanest that any of us will encounter in a normal life because it is hepa-filtered and changed every 2-3 minutes.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sbrower
Fortunately, the airlines have advised us (I think correctly) that the air in a plane is among the cleanest that any of us will encounter in a normal life because it is hepa-filtered and changed every 2-3 minutes.
AA is too cheaap to give us a packet of Mayo with a dry ol' Turkey sandwich, kinda wonder how well they are servicing those Hepa filters???
sushanna1 and Annerk like this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:54 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
That's not the point. Masks are not 100% effective either
Neither are seatbelts, but they're required for commercial transportation on a plane. So is obeying the no-smoking sign and turning off transmit mode on mobile devices. Those are the rules. If that's not to one's liking there are alternate forms of transportation that do not have mask requirements (namely, driving).
born sleepy, TWA884, hbtr and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.