October 2020: A330s permanently retired

Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold
The 332's are very young. It's not surprising as this is a sub fleet that does not really "fit" into AA's fleet, but when the news comes it is still depressing.

And since they are already in long storage, I guess it would be almost impossible to see retirement flight(s), as DL does with 77Ls.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02
I agree, flew them out of PHL and CLT to Europe and liked them quite a bit.
Ah, me too. The 332 was my first taste of TATL lie flat biz. It was definitely a US Airways crew and they provided great service on that flight back in the day. RIP 330s.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
I remember flying FRA-PHL once and was seated in a mid-cabin bulkhead. There were exit row seats on the sides, but after takeoff, the FAs pulled curtains around those seats to make their, "crew rest," area. Thankfully it wasn't a very full flight and I had several seats to myself, as did most others on the aircraft. I can imagine that would look a bit customer un-friendly on a full flight.
AA had 767 planes where row 17 was used a crew rest seats on longer flights per contract, and available to customers (pending seat blocks, gate agents, etc.) on shorter flights. These seats weren't really much wider than standard coach seats, but did have leg rests at least 4 feet of leg room and pretty good recline. Of course, with the curtain pulled, a pretty nice ride!
Old Oct 22, 2020, 4:27 pm
Suspended

As disappointing as it is, they are just getting rid of a subfleet that probably cost them more money than they made, especially with the amount of 787's on order.

Still, hate to see wide-bodies grow, I'm not a fan of narrowbodies on long flights.
AAir_head likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Well guess AA was serious about brining 777s tp CLT since those A330s were the backbone of CLT long haul flights.

Safe Travels
Old Oct 22, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
I got my only flight on a 330-200 last year. I was able to get an upgrade since it was a domestic hop from PHL to CLT. Awesome plane, wish I could have gotten on it more often.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
until 2023 when they would receive their first A321XLR's.
Perhaps I took a nap in 2014 and haven't woke up but I didn't know AA is eventually planning on flying narrowbodies to LHR???

Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Setting aside the different engine types from their current A332s, I wouldn't mind seeing DL pickup a few of these for a good price as a replacement for their outgoing 763s. Of course, DL isn't in any place to be picking up used aircraft at the moment, but there's plenty of life left in them and I'm a fan of any aircraft that uses a 2-X-2 seating in Y/Y+.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:20 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by wetrat0
After the 777s were densified with ten-across Y, the 332 was far and away the most comfortable long-haul aircraft in the fleet. Nice flat bed in J with no "rocking" or backward facing seats, and reasonably roomy Y seat if your upgrade didn't clear.
That's probably why Doug Parker wants them 'out'. Economy needs to be a burden so you spring for PE or J. It's the LCC model.
Spanish likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by JDiver
There are Boring 787 -8s and -9s still pending delivery
Freudian slip? So many boring twinjets out there these days...
Old Oct 23, 2020, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Perhaps I took a nap in 2014 and haven't woke up but I didn't know AA is eventually planning on flying narrowbodies to LHR???

Where did you ever get that idea? Just because they are receiving 321XLRs doesn't mean they'll waste them on the most slot-controlled airport in the world.

They'll be used TATL, but I'd expect it to be for thin flights like PHL-OPO/NCE/TXL/EDI/etc
Old Oct 23, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Where did you ever get that idea? Just because they are receiving 321XLRs doesn't mean they'll waste them on the most slot-controlled airport in the world.

They'll be used TATL, but I'd expect it to be for thin flights like PHL-OPO/NCE/TXL/EDI/etc
Not looking forward to that - the single aisle will make it so difficult to be comfortable moving about the cabin. I'm sure the FAs won't like it either.

​​​​​
Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by atbPy
I got my only flight on a 330-200 last year. I was able to get an upgrade since it was a domestic hop from PHL to CLT. Awesome plane, wish I could have gotten on it more often.
My shortest ever widebody flight was BOS-PHL on a 332. I was doing a segment run DCA-BOS-PHL-DCA. I got the upgrade... I think I got to lie flat for about 20 minutes before they started preparing the cabin for landing.

Then had to connect onto a CR7 for the PHL-DCA hop. I got that upgrade too and it was the weirdest contrast ever.
Spanish and atbPy like this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wetrat0
My shortest ever widebody flight was BOS-PHL on a 332. I was doing a segment run DCA-BOS-PHL-DCA. I got the upgrade... I think I got to lie flat for about 20 minutes before they started preparing the cabin for landing.

Then had to connect onto a CR7 for the PHL-DCA hop. I got that upgrade too and it was the weirdest contrast ever.
Hahaha. At least it wasn't a CR2

I've flown MAD-PHL back before the merger on US (thanks to Iberia being incompetent) and domestically on AA on PHL-SFO and CLT-PHL.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 10:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Only flew a US 33x once, got an upgrade PHL-CLT but a nice improvement over the weird beehive-hair-dryer biz seats on NW A330s that did not lie flat and had me sliding slowly to the floor on that HNL>MSP leg. These are still flying at DL... a great pax-friendly plane in all classes and a shame to lose it. The Boeings are more cramped and noisier.

I look at Airbus vs Boeing like Citron (C6, DS) vs. Ford (Mustang GT350). As a car guy I want my ride to be sharp, fast, and loud. When I'm riding on a plane, I want quiet, smooth, serene.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.