Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Invent an ex-US RTW with 4 SWUs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Invent an ex-US RTW with 4 SWUs

Hoping I can tap the creativeness of this forum. My business travel is showing no hope of coming back. I was going to fly CLT-MUC to pick up a new BMW, but they have cancelled all European delivery (still buying the car...)

I appear to be too late to the game for the true RTW experience. However, if I was willing to depart from any US gateway in late 2021, and had 4 SWUs at my disposal, would anyone be willing to suggest a fun RTW itinerary that *might* have the requisite C space?

I would welcome any speculation as we know frequencies are way down and no one can predict the state of travel a year from now. Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
This isn't possible because the SWU's are valid only on AA flights, and AA does not fly around the world. The best you could do is get to Asia somewhere and from there get to Banglore back to Seattle.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:15 am

Having a bunch of SWUs (more than two) doesn't particularly help.

Every AA-operated flight starts or ends in the US (no fifth-freedom routes), so a RTW would involve only two SWU-eligible international flights. AA's deepest TATL destination will be TLV and its deepest TPAC destination will be BLR. So at least that 3,000-mile gap has to be bridged with another airline where AA SWUs cannot be used.

You could even try to get two AA international flights on one SWU, which requires them to be on the same one-way trip (and also allows upgrading a domestic flight in between, for a total of three segments). But this doesn't seem to work if you're starting and ending your RTW in the US.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:29 am

Programs: EXPLT
Definitely consider SEA-BLR and BLR - SEA. The actual route of flight will go northeast fm SEA over/near the N Pole then over Russia into India. The return BLR-SEA route if flight may very well continue on a generally easterly heading, quite psbly heading north over Delhi then northeast bound over eastern Russia over Alaska into SEA.

While not touted as a ‘round the world ‘ flight, you may very end up going ‘around the world’. United’s DEL-SFO flight does route on the similar easterly heading on occasion. In the end , it’s all dependent on enroute winds aloft and how many country overfly permits are obtained.

DFW-HKG/HKG-DFW would be the other top consideration.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
IIRC I believe one SWU can be used to as far as the fare-break point (in other words, all of the flights need to be on one fare component for it to only take 1 SWU, so as long as your one fare component permits stopovers, you can use 1 SWU to upgrade HKG-oDFW-EZE), so if you really wanted it to be fun:

SWU1: US - Europe
SWU2: EU -xDFW/MIA/JFK - GRU/SCL/EZE (I believe AA files fare from EU to South America)
SWU3: GRU/SCL/EZE - DFW/MIA/LAX-TYO/HKG
SWU4: TYO/HKG - US

Usually Tokyo to USA flights regularly have some C spaces, EU-USA leisure routes also have C spaces, the toughest might be NA-SA trips since many of the flights are now 20J 788s

Also many AA fares could be combined on a half round-trip basis to form circle trips / open-jaws, so you **might** have some luck booking all (or most) of those segments on a single ticket.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by shd9
SWU1: US - Europe
SWU2: EU -xDFW/MIA/JFK - GRU/SCL/EZE (I believe AA files fare from EU to South America)
SWU3: GRU/SCL/EZE - DFW/MIA/LAX-TYO/HKG
SWU4: TYO/HKG - US
That might be a fun trip but is not a RTW as OP requested. It goes "back and forth", not "all the way around". In particular, it does not cross the 60-90E longitude area (central Asia/Indian Ocean), and it crosses the international date line an even number of times (two). Because it does not make a complete circuit, the total sunrises seen will match the calendar dates and not be "off by one" as in a true RTW that crosses the international date line an odd number of times.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Really good ideas above, really appreciate it. Either SEA-BLR or DFW-HKG look like great options. Now, the C space search begins. Thanks all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.