Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Planning 737 MAX Service Restoration (Limited Start Dec and 2021) [CLOSED]

American Planning 737 MAX Service Restoration (Limited Start Dec and 2021) [CLOSED]

Old Oct 14, 2020, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

FWIW, not sure if anyone has seen, but my flight from MCO to MIA around Xmas time is now slotted as a 7M8. They're loading these aircraft into the system for use by YE 2020.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
FWIW, not sure if anyone has seen, but my flight from MCO to MIA around Xmas time is now slotted as a 7M8. They're loading these aircraft into the system for use by YE 2020.
I think this is just residual old schedule which hasn't been updated yet.

A few weeks ago before the November changes rolled out, they were scheduled on a few of the daily MCO-MIA flights. Once the November schedule was finalized they all disappeared.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
MIA service

Just heard AA will fly the 737 MAX Dec29-JAN4 from MIA to NYC did not say which airport. Will tell customers it’s the MAX. Would you fly I would after being grounded 20 months it’s must be safe.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Just heard AA will fly the 737 MAX Dec29-JAN4 from MIA to NYC did not say which airport. Will tell customers it’s the MAX. Would you fly I would after being grounded 20 months it’s must be safe.
Where did you hear this?

Keep in mind the December schedule hasn’t been updated yet so while 737MAXs will show up on it, that doesn’t mean there’s any intention of actually flying them.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
There's no guarantee that the MAX will be approved for service by then.

When AA was operating the MAX prior to the grounding, MIA-LGA was the first route, IIRC.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by cmd320
Where did you hear this?

Keep in mind the December schedule hasn’t been updated yet so while 737MAXs will show up on it, that doesn’t mean there’s any intention of actually flying them.
Seeing in on ThePointsGuy app, but not on the website too.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-737-max-debut
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:22 am

Hopefully when they do they will restore full meal service. You know, last supper
Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:13 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by cmd320
Where did you hear this?

Originally Posted by Antarius

When AA was operating the MAX prior to the grounding, MIA-LGA was the first route, IIRC.
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Seeing in on ThePointsGuy app, but not on the website too.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-737-max-debut

​​​​​​https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/18/busin...longstory_pool
Old Oct 19, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Robl
Congressional report out today:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...es/5809550002/"The committee's report dwells on how, at multiple points in the development of the Max, engineers and test pilots noted problems in MCAS that would later prove to be at the root of the crashes.

As early as 2012, a Boeing test pilot found it took 10 seconds to deal with an uncommanded activation of the MCAS system, which was deemed to be "catastrophic," the report discloses."

A test pilot noted that the MCAS system could kick in multiple times, leaving the plane's ability to stay aloft badly hindered, which is what sealed the fate of the Lion Air and Ethiopian flights, according to the report.

The 737 Max's chief engineer said he approved MCAS without really understanding it, the report states, a reflection of a management system in which he had overall authority, but most of the engineers on the project reported directly to others.
Is this chief engineer still with the company? How can you sign off on something you don't understand?
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 355F1
Right, but that merely states that AA wants to do so. The MAX is not approved to fly yet.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 12:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
One Mile at a Time has a story today, albeit everything is speculation until the FAA releases an AD note and restores certification to the MAX - and other world aviation agencies do. The head of EASA says he’s ready, but they must publish something similar to an FAA Airworthiness Directive.

In part:American plans to resume 737 MAX flights this year

American Airlines will shortly be scheduling its first 737 MAX flights for when the plane returns to service. While it’s possible that the timeline could slip, this is being done so that crews can start bidding on schedules, pilots can start being scheduled for simulator training, etc.

Here’s American’s strategy for bringing the 737 MAX back into service, which isn’t exactly what I would have expected:
  • American is completely removing the 737 MAX from the schedule, even 11 months out (the airline previously kept the plane in the schedule far in advance, and then removed it as the travel date neared)
  • American will schedule the 737 MAX once daily between Miami and New York LaGuardia, but only between December 29, 2020, and January 4, 2021
  • Customers will be able to book these flights as of October 24, 2020
  • American seems pretty committed to not having the plane enter service with passengers before December 29, and similarly, won’t schedule any 737 MAX flights for after January 4
and

American won’t rebook passengers on the 737 MAX

There have been lots of questions about whether airlines will inform passengers they’re booked on the 737 MAX. After all, many people may not feel comfortable flying on the plane, so how will airlines handle that?

Here’s American’s approach:
  • The 737 MAX on the above route will replace an existing plane, but customers currently booked on those services will be accommodated on other flights, and won’t automatically be rebooked on the 737 MAX
  • In other words, American is proactively helping customers avoid the 737 MAX, so you’ll only be booked on a 737 MAX if you specifically want to be
Frankly this seems like a delicate balance, and I don’t envy the situation airlines are in:
  • On one end of the spectrum, airlines could just pretend that the 737 MAX doesn’t exist, and is the same as any other 737; we’re seeing the plane essentially rebranded as the 737-8, and I’m sure many airlines will take the approach of providing passengers with no warning
  • On the other end of the spectrum, airlines could literally warn passengers that they’re booked on this plane, but at that point one has to wonder if they’re almost creating fear that shouldn’t exist
How far should 737 MAX disclosures from airlines go? Is listing the aircraft type as “737 MAX” enough? Should the aircraft type have to be listed in a different font to make it more obvious? Should airlines have a screen whereby passengers have to acknowledge that they understand they’re booking a 737 MAX?

Old Oct 20, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The MAX will have to eventually come back. Maybe AA should ID the aircraft type as MAX rather than 7M8. Perhaps AA should sell seats at say a 20% discount over other flights - there are always people who go for the lowest price.

For me to fly it - if would require a real experience crew. And assurances from Boeing that the crew can completely disable all automated control and fly manually if needed. Issue with the crashes was that software overrode the pilot.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Not loaded in the schedule flights are either Republic EMB RJ and a few A321’s.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Antarius

Actually, FAA will be approved, not for airlines decision. They will be approved real soon. You'll see. They will re-certification again. They will change.

They will deployed some 737-MAX8 flights.

Since the 737-MAX was grounding in March 2019. Boeing was responsible for those 346 passengers killed.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by cova
The MAX will have to eventually come back. Maybe AA should ID the aircraft type as MAX rather than 7M8. Perhaps AA should sell seats at say a 20% discount over other flights - there are always people who go for the lowest price.

For me to fly it - if would require a real experience crew. And assurances from Boeing that the crew can completely disable all automated control and fly manually if needed. Issue with the crashes was that software overrode the pilot.
If the FAA signs off on it, I will not be concerned about the safety of it. However, there are things other than safety I don't like about it
MIAFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.