Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Next to the "flight credit" it will say "trip credit." Put the same number in the "trip credit" box & it'll let you through.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
IME it can be redeemed online but there are some limitations.

I cancelled a trip back in December for four passengers. When I book a new trip with four passengers, the option for redeeming the credit online is not there. But if I book a new trip with 1 or 2 passengers, the option is available. I ended up putting the reservation for 4 on hold and then calling AA to redeem the credit.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
OP - You are not doing anything wrong as I have the same experience. Can retrieve the tkt # and see the credit, but upon creating a new reservation there doesn't seem to be any method to apply/pay for it. If I attempt to rebook from the credit reservation it doesn't give me the option to make it a round trip as it was originally a one-way so only prompts me with one-way reservation search criteria.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
There's a difference between an electronic flight voucher which has a long number and a four digit pin and a flight credit. The latter can be used online, the former requires you to put the reservation on hold and call in to ticket.

Me thinks like gift cards AA will hope (and plans) that a certain percentage of people will forget about the flight credit or not know how to use it and not call in.
jmrp likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 3:46 pm

I had a flight credit, which I tried every which way to use online. Simply would not work. Finally called and the agent applied it without any issue. Seemed to me that the new flight was linked to the previous PNR. Bottom line: simply call.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 3:56 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It’s hit or miss. Sometimes it doesn’t even display the option.

If you’re adverse to calling, I’ve had some success getting their Twitter staff to put it in and queue it for ticketing, Keep in mind these flight credits are really unused tickets, all with potentially different rules.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
There's a difference between an electronic flight voucher which has a long number and a four digit pin and a flight credit. The latter can be used online, the former requires you to put the reservation on hold and call in to ticket.

Me thinks like gift cards AA will hope (and plans) that a certain percentage of people will forget about the flight credit or not know how to use it and not call in.
e Vouchers are entered online under "other forms of payment" just put it in as a gift card would be. you can enter up to 8 I think RT
Old Feb 24, 2021, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George

I think that it is a combination of "breakage" which is built into the valuation of all credits no matter what they are called and the fact that this scheme was created and implemented on very short notice.
nyc10036 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 7:32 pm

My wife and I used e-vouchers and cash for first class PIT-DFW-HNL March 23 returning April 1st.
DEPARTURE, AA892 6:05AM - 8:00AM PIT-DFW. AA123 9:05AM -12:45PM DFW-HNL. RETURN, AA8 5:50PM -6:00AM HNL-DFW. AA2667 7:15AM -11:02AM DFW-PIT.
AA CHANGED ALL FLIGHTS/TIMES TOO;
DEPARTURE, AA679 7:23AM - 9:50AM PIT-DFW. AA5 11:15AM - 3:06PM DFW-HNL. RETURN, AA102 7:30PM - 7:53AM HNL-DFW. AA1868 2:28PM - 6:07PM DFW-PIT

FLIGHTS AA892 AND AA2667 Have been removed from the schedule. The return connecting time changed from 1 hour 15 minutes. Now 6 hours 35 minutes.
We would ideally like to cancel and rebook first class Next year March 2022. Do we have any options ? Thank You
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:41 pm

I just purchased a First Class ticket for $400 using $300 eVoucher that expires in early April and $100 cash. I am still within 24 hours. I am thinking of cancelling.

The ticket was purchased today Wednesday , for next Wednesday, so I am not sure if that affects the 24 hour rule.

What are my options to cancel and a) get full refund b) extend expiration day for $300 funds?
Class: First (R)
Update: Its also not allowing changes online, saying I have to call

Last edited by jmsnyc; Feb 24, 2021 at 10:34 pm
Old Mar 7, 2021, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by raptor2
My wife and I used e-vouchers and cash for first class PIT-DFW-HNL March 23 returning April 1st.
DEPARTURE, AA892 6:05AM - 8:00AM PIT-DFW. AA123 9:05AM -12:45PM DFW-HNL. RETURN, AA8 5:50PM -6:00AM HNL-DFW. AA2667 7:15AM -11:02AM DFW-PIT.
AA CHANGED ALL FLIGHTS/TIMES TOO;
DEPARTURE, AA679 7:23AM - 9:50AM PIT-DFW. AA5 11:15AM - 3:06PM DFW-HNL. RETURN, AA102 7:30PM - 7:53AM HNL-DFW. AA1868 2:28PM - 6:07PM DFW-PIT

FLIGHTS AA892 AND AA2667 Have been removed from the schedule. The return connecting time changed from 1 hour 15 minutes. Now 6 hours 35 minutes.
We would ideally like to cancel and rebook first class Next year March 2022. Do we have any options ? Thank You
Was able to cancel and after a few emails and phone calls AA gave us vouchers/credit
card refund. Thank You AA.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I haven't seen this discussed in the forum but if I missed it, my apologies!

I have a flight credit for about $900. I want to use it to book a flight that is about $400. Does that mean I'll still have a residual value of about $500 on the flight credit? Just want to make sure that my residual value will remain on the flight credit. It's not clear from the AA website.

Nevermind....see the answer to my question in a post above

Last edited by mh3265a; Mar 7, 2021 at 6:33 pm
Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:07 pm

I booked a flight through Amex travel a few days ago and I now cannot take the flight. If I log in to AA.com it gives me the option to change the ticket or to cancel it. If I change it it says that I must pay a $39 fee because the ticket was booked through a travel agent. If I click on cancel though it says that I'll be able to keep the full value of the ticket as a credit for future travel, presumably within a year. What's the catch? I assume there must be a catch but why would I do anything other than cancel the ticket and rebook using the credit?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by lkar
I booked a flight through Amex travel a few days ago and I now cannot take the flight. If I log in to AA.com it gives me the option to change the ticket or to cancel it. If I change it it says that I must pay a $39 fee because the ticket was booked through a travel agent. If I click on cancel though it says that I'll be able to keep the full value of the ticket as a credit for future travel, presumably within a year. What's the catch? I assume there must be a catch but why would I do anything other than cancel the ticket and rebook using the credit?
Cancelling online may just cancel your reservation. The $39 fee to take over the ticket may resurface if you try to exchange the ticket directly with AA in the future, unless you are actually getting a "wallet" credit for the value of the ticket.

Amex Travel is waiving their service fees through September, so if you can rebook by then, that might be the best approach.
lkar likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Last year I cancelled 2 trips with AA online, one for March and the other for May. I just went to rebook one of the flights, and when I logged into my AA account, I was able to find both trips, and there was a link that said "rebook this trip," so I did, and it all seemed to go pretty smoothly at first. I found new flights that I wanted, and selected my seats, but right after the last seat selection, it asked me to update my address, but when I did, it gave me an error message saying it couldn't update it and to try again later. Which I did, 5 or 6 times. And I could never get past the "update your address requirement." So I couldn't rebook online.

Instead, I called AA and booked the flight with a person over the phone. At first I got a recording, which said wait time was between 45 and 62 minutes, so I left my number for them to call me back, which they did in about 50 minutes. Callbacks can be hit or miss in my experience (not thinking of airlines in particular, but just companies generally), so I was pleased to get a timely callback. And I got the fights I wanted (although I forgot to give her my seat selections, aaaaaah), and all's well that ends well, but it was really frustrating to go through this a bunch of times only to not be able to finish it because of some update requirement (and fwiw, my address has not changed in years; no need to update it).

Has anyone else had this experience and found a work-around? I would like to rebook the other cancelled flight online, but don't know if I'll be able to do it. jib

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.