Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta
The flight number did change. They eliminated my late morning flight and put me on an early morning flight and that resulted in the five and a half layover. The original layover was just over two hours.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Sylvanlaker
The flight number did change. They eliminated my late morning flight and put me on an early morning flight and that resulted in the five and a half layover. The original layover was just over two hours.
Yeah, I think that's a cancellation not just a schedule change.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is clearly due a refund as AA cancelled his original flight. That is both in the COC and per DOT rule. The fact that AA was able to find other flights is irrelevant as is made clear in the two Warning Letters issued by DOT in March and April 2020, referring to DOT's 2011 determination, e.g., either a cancellation OR a significant change.

OP should call AA and push this. The key is to start the call by saying such as, "AA cancelled my flight and I would like a refund." Once an agent goes down the rabbit hole of change times, this all falls apart. As is noted earlier in the thread, the agent will need to back out the credit and that can take some doing. But, OP should simply be polite but firm.

If that fails, initiate a chargeback with his credit card issuer. Just make certain to document the original itinerary, the new itinerary (highlighting the cancellation) and referring to both the contract provision and either or both DOT Warning Letters.
AA100k likes this.

Last edited by Often1; Jan 18, 2021 at 3:49 pm
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:58 pm

Many thanks to all...this is very helpful and encouraging information. Is there a number, other than for reservations, that I should be using? Or a department I should ask to be transferred to? I've already struck out with reservation folks and customer service. I'll report back after making contact!
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond , Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
I had a similar experience with AA during the summer. They canceled my departure flight and put me on another flight two hours earlier. I didn’t want take the trip in general, so I used the change to request refund. It was somewhat funny that they didn’t approve the refund the first three times , because “ basic economy tickets are not eligible and the change was insignificant “ .After the third email with not approving my refund request, I replied that I have no other option but to escalate to DOT for disobeying the law and at the same time to apply for a chargeback through the credit card. My refund was issued in two days, and I didn’t take any other action...
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Many thanks to all...this is very helpful and encouraging information. Is there a number, other than for reservations, that I should be using? Or a department I should ask to be transferred to? I've already struck out with reservation folks and customer service. I'll report back after making contact!
Just call customer service and point out that the flight was cancelled and that a credit rather than a refund was issued, while you want a refund.

Give it one shot and then move to a chargeback. You can also file a DOT complaint (online and easy), but the key is the chargeback as that gets you your money.

The key to all of this is that the time difference is a red herring. Could have been another flight 5 minutes later. Would not have made a difference.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Just call customer service and point out that the flight was cancelled and that a credit rather than a refund was issued, while you want a refund.

Give it one shot and then move to a chargeback. You can also file a DOT complaint (online and easy), but the key is the chargeback as that gets you your money.

The key to all of this is that the time difference is a red herring. Could have been another flight 5 minutes later. Would not have made a difference.
Agreed, if the flight number changes, then it doesn't matter what the time difference is
Old Jan 19, 2021, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
File a DOT complaint if AA won't give you a refund based on the cancelled flight. Consumer Complaint
Old Jan 20, 2021, 8:40 am

I spoke with the customer relations rep who has been handling this and she is holding onto the judgment that my originating flight was "rescheduled," not "cancelled." She admitted the flight they changed me to had a different flight number and type of aircraft but still insisted that it was a rescheduled flight and a refund was not possible, only a travel credit. I cited the COC and DOT rules but her mantra was: "this was a rescheduled flight and you do not qualify you for a refund." So I guess it's time to make the DOT complaint and try for a chargeback with my credit card. Since DTW is my local airport, I use Delta 90% of the time and have never had a problem with their customer relations folks. No more AA for me!
Old Jan 20, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I spoke with the customer relations rep who has been handling this and she is holding onto the judgment that my originating flight was "rescheduled," not "cancelled." She admitted the flight they changed me to had a different flight number and type of aircraft but still insisted that it was a rescheduled flight and a refund was not possible, only a travel credit. I cited the COC and DOT rules but her mantra was: "this was a rescheduled flight and you do not qualify you for a refund." So I guess it's time to make the DOT complaint and try for a chargeback with my credit card. Since DTW is my local airport, I use Delta 90% of the time and have never had a problem with their customer relations folks. No more AA for me!
Sorry that you have to go to the direction of DOT complaint. From the information you have provided here, it sure looks like simple case of cancelled flight where full refund is due in original form of payment. Good luck with DOT complaint and hope something will come out of it.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond , Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond Elite

That was the response in one of my email responses as well. If it’s a different flight number , it’s not rescheduled. I never called , only email as a communication channel. Before you file a complaint, I would email again with clarification of refund law in case of a cancel flight...
Old Jan 20, 2021, 2:22 pm
Suspended

The flight number is not dispositive. But, the change in time and reduction in frequency, e.g. there were 2 flights and now there is only 1 is.

Simple chargeback The merchant acquirers won't waste time on fighting this and will simply debit AA's chargeback reserve.

DOT won't do anything other than forward to AA for a response, but it hasn't taken an enforcement action on refunds since the pandemic began.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 2:31 pm

The link to the Flight Credit Wallet (August 2020) appears to be broken.
It shows up in search (threadloom) but if you click on it you get an error stating the link isn't valid anymore?
Old Jan 20, 2021, 10:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
OP is clearly due a refund as AA cancelled his original flight. That is both in the COC and per DOT rule. The fact that AA was able to find other flights is irrelevant as is made clear in the two Warning Letters issued by DOT in March and April 2020, referring to DOT's 2011 determination, e.g., either a cancellation OR a significant change.

OP should call AA and push this. The key is to start the call by saying such as, "AA cancelled my flight and I would like a refund." Once an agent goes down the rabbit hole of change times, this all falls apart. As is noted earlier in the thread, the agent will need to back out the credit and that can take some doing. But, OP should simply be polite but firm.

If that fails, initiate a chargeback with his credit card issuer. Just make certain to document the original itinerary, the new itinerary (highlighting the cancellation) and referring to both the contract provision and either or both DOT Warning Letters.
Originally Posted by mvoight
Agreed, if the flight number changes, then it doesn't matter what the time difference is
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Sorry that you have to go to the direction of DOT complaint. From the information you have provided here, it sure looks like simple case of cancelled flight where full refund is due in original form of payment. Good luck with DOT complaint and hope something will come out of it.
Change in flight number that takes place more than 72 hours to departure does not equate to cancellation regardless of how much some FT members are insisting it is. AA qualification for refund is 4 hours.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DOT has never defined terms like "signficant change" or "cancellation" in the regulations and has left it up to the airlines --
https://www.cozen.com/Templates/medi...12%202020).pdf
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/do...garding-95048/

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 21, 2021 at 9:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.