Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Jan 5, 23, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zkzkz View Post
Hello, I'm trying to use a partly used flight coupon cancelled during covid flexibility. And I'm getting answers from an agent that make no sense to me. I want to understand how AA handles partly used tickets and repricing better.

My ticket was YUL-BCN-YUL. And I flew YUL-BCN but cancelled the return BCN-YUL. Now I have the ticket that's partly used. And I want to use the unused portion of the ticket to book a return journey BRU-YUL. I would expect this to be the same as if I had just changed the return journey to be BRU-YUL and to reprice using return fares which look like they would be about $100 higher than the original ticket.

However what the agent seems to be doing is looking up the price to book a *one-way* BRU-YUL which obviously is much higher, about $2000. And then applying the residual ticket value against that. Which still leaves me owing over $1000 which is more than it would cost to just book a return to or from BRU.

I don't really understand why he would be looking at one-way fares when he's repricing a ticket where it would form part of a return journey. Is that normal for AA? Should I just keep calling and asking for different agents? Or should I be doing something different like just booking a whole new return journey and trying to use the residual value as a credit on that?

Actually.... is it normal for the ticket to show "Your trip was canceled" and list the entire itinerary with "status: Canceled"? I flew the outbound but maybe for some reason my ticket is listed as cancelled in its entirety? That would be... really weird. So is it possible I now have the full value of the ticket available to use?
Unfortunately, partially flown ticket value is always calculated that way, i.e. the flown portion is treated as a one way ticket as you described. In fact such calculation is stated in the Fare Rules of a fully refundable ticket I just combed thru. I also see same kind of wordings in many previous Fare Rules I read when trying to just book a place holder tickets which I use all efforts to book it as a one-way nonstop itinerary to make it easiest at cancellation time.

The rest of your question others may have more explanation.
Old Jan 5, 23, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hand_solo View Post
This our chance to find out Please do report back what happens when you cancel a trip booked with a Trip Credit past its original expiration date.
Alright, I just used a Trip Credit expiring on Jan 9th to pay for a fully refundable ticket traveling on Nov 5th 2023. I could choose a trip on Nov 12th at $708 and pay extra $10 or choose this one at $688 and initially lose $9 - as the unused balance would expire on the original date, with the hope sometime before November we could use it on real trip. As for this fully refundable ticket value we have no idea how it would play out at cancellation UNTIL time comes when we have a real trip to book. Some folks may have DPs before us I am sure.

Here is what happened -

1) You cannot use Trip Credit to pay online if the itinerary is on hold. For that you must call reservation. Both button of Flight Credit and Trip Credit are present, just that when you click on it, a popup shows up telling you you must call reservation in order to use Trip Credit. Why AA does not facilitate the same functions online when a ticket is on the 24 hours hold?
Instead of calling reservation, I decided to just cancel the on hold one and then booked / purchased a new one with the same fare code on the same date but different departure time. I dont know if there would be any difference calling reservation to use the Trip Credit or to do it online yourself.

Oh, I thought since the booking was made while logged in AAdvantage, the system would be smart enough to pull the Trip Credit from the Wallet, but Nope, you need to manually enter the full number in the box.

2) The balance of $9.50 Trip Credit is immediately refunded with the same January 9th 2023 expiration date. Got the email almost immediately. Needless to say, this would be forfeited.

3) The e-Ticket confirmation email has NOT come in, but the reservation is shown TICKETED, and the all important Print Itinerary and Receipt button is there. So I printed a PDF of such. eTicket number is on the Receipt. The payment Type is Ticket Exchange (the used Trip Credit number) This is exactly the same accounting method with the Paper Voucher era when I often had to book place holder fully refundable tickets, except back then when a residual Paper Voucher was issued, it would have a new 12 months life. Now the residual would expire on the same date.

I dont know if the "promised" eTicket confirmation email would ever arrive but I guess the Receipt with eTicket number is sufficient at cancellation. Though it would be several months before we can find out how the rebooking may go.
Old Jan 5, 23, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
The first part is correct, I did the exact same thing.

If you cancel the 50 dollar ticket, you SHOULD get the 50 dollar flight credit back, with original expiry. But I'm not 100% sure on that.
If the $50 ticket is canceled AFTER the 24 hours free cancellation period, how could the poster get the $50 flight credit back? The cancellation fee would be more than the ticket value I would think.

Originally Posted by hand_solo View Post
At this point, I'm convinced the process is entirely random. I had to unfortunately cancel my ticket AGAIN due to the polar vortex last week. This time, instead of getting a new Trip Credit with with new expiration like the first time, I got a Flight Credit instead.
What is the expiration date of the Flight Credit that you received from the latest cancellation?
Old Jan 8, 23, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond
I have a flight credit for a little over $1,000 that will expire in November 2023. All of my flights are already booked and paid for the next 10 months. I will be taking a trip to Cairo Egypt last week of December 2023. The agent on the phone advised that I could ask for a Flight Credit extension via email but I am unable to locate an appropriate contact to do so. Looking for advice on the best way to preserve this flight credit so that it can be applied within 2 months of expiry. Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 23, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by EncFlyer View Post
I have a flight credit for a little over $1,000 that will expire in November 2023. All of my flights are already booked and paid for the next 10 months. I will be taking a trip to Cairo Egypt last week of December 2023. The agent on the phone advised that I could ask for a Flight Credit extension via email but I am unable to locate an appropriate contact to do so. Looking for advice on the best way to preserve this flight credit so that it can be applied within 2 months of expiry. Thanks!
There is no way to just email AA and get an extension of a credit, otherwise everyone would be doing it. I'm afraid the agent you talked to was just trying to get you off the phone.
Old Jan 8, 23, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by EncFlyer View Post
It's a flight credit, right? You can book a cheap throwaway ticket from anywhere to anywhere (literally anywhere in the AA system) and pay for it with the flight credit. The leftover amount (so hopefully ~950 USD) becomes a TRIP credit with an expiration 1 year from that point on.

So if you booked a cheap 50 USD ticket today and paid for it with your 1000 USD flight credit, you'll be issued a 950 USD trip credit with expiry a year from today.

You can do this whenever you want to book your Egypt ticket.
Old Jan 18, 23, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a goodwill gesture for a cancelled flight, I received a $200 "trip credit" issued on February 1, 2022. By it's terms, the credit expires one year from issuance. I assume I could buy a ticket now with this trip credit for travel next (say) November. If, I decide not to take that flight and cancel it, do I get a new trip credit with a later expiration date? In other words, can I extend the life of this trip credit by buying a future date and then cancelling it?
Old Jan 18, 23, 11:47 pm

Programs: SkyTeam Elite Plus lifetime
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
As a goodwill gesture for a cancelled flight, I received a $200 "trip credit" issued on February 1, 2022. By it's terms, the credit expires one year from issuance. I assume I could buy a ticket now with this trip credit for travel next (say) November. If, I decide not to take that flight and cancel it, do I get a new trip credit with a later expiration date? In other words, can I extend the life of this trip credit by buying a future date and then cancelling it?
Unfortunately this is case-by-case right now. Some canceled tickets immediately get converted to Trip Credit with the same expiration date -- so if you booked a ticket now and canceled it later, it would become a Trip Credit that you must use by Jan 2024 (1 year from issuance of ticket) to book a ticket that flies by Jan 2025. In other cases it becomes a Flight Credit and retains the original expiration date of the ticket -- so if you booked a ticket now and canceled it, the Flight Credit issued would require you to fly by Jan 2024 in order to not forfeit the value. However, you could still use this Flight Credit to book the cheapest flight you can find on Google Flights, and get the residual value back as Trip Credit with a new 1-year expiration date from the issuance of that Trip Credit.

From others' data points on this thread, it's hard to discern if there is a consistent set of criteria for being issued Trip Credits versus Flight Credits (obviously there must be one, since this process is automated, but it appears to be highly complex). That said, since AA is working on converting all credits to Trip Credit and there are more and more reports of canceled flights being issued Trip Credits right away (rather than Flight Credits), I would say your chances are pretty decent if you cancel in Nov 2023.

Last edited by Holometer3D; Jan 18, 23 at 11:55 pm
Old Jan 19, 23, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I cancelled a trip in Sept 2022 that I had bought in June 2022. I received a credit only usable by me. Trip?

I bought another ticket for less value in Dec 2022 and the remainder was reissued in a form i thought could be used by anyone. Flight?

Today made a reservation for flight for 2 persons and system would not allow credit to be used so needed to split record. Is that correct?

I also had the 125 dollar citi certificate but i couldnt use that together with the credit. Was there a way to do that?

Was there something else we shoukd have known ? we were under a time crunch booking flights for a funeral in 2 days time to a popular leisure destination on a weekend so didnt stop to research every nuance.
Old Jan 20, 23, 2:22 am
ek9

Originally Posted by worldiswide View Post
I cancelled a trip in Sept 2022 that I had bought in June 2022. I received a credit only usable by me. Trip?

I bought another ticket for less value in Dec 2022 and the remainder was reissued in a form i thought could be used by anyone. Flight?

Today made a reservation for flight for 2 persons and system would not allow credit to be used so needed to split record. Is that correct?

I also had the 125 dollar citi certificate but i couldnt use that together with the credit. Was there a way to do that?

Was there something else we shoukd have known ? we were under a time crunch booking flights for a funeral in 2 days time to a popular leisure destination on a weekend so didnt stop to research every nuance.
​​​​​​​The first credit would have been a Trip Credit and the second one a Flight Credit.

Last edited by ek9; Jan 20, 23 at 2:23 am Reason: add quote
Old Jan 21, 23, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Holometer3D View Post
Unfortunately this is case-by-case right now. Some canceled tickets immediately get converted to Trip Credit with the same expiration date -- so if you booked a ticket now and canceled it later, it would become a Trip Credit that you must use by Jan 2024 (1 year from issuance of ticket) to book a ticket that flies by Jan 2025. In other cases it becomes a Flight Credit and retains the original expiration date of the ticket -- so if you booked a ticket now and canceled it, the Flight Credit issued would require you to fly by Jan 2024 in order to not forfeit the value. However, you could still use this Flight Credit to book the cheapest flight you can find on Google Flights, and get the residual value back as Trip Credit with a new 1-year expiration date from the issuance of that Trip Credit.

From others' data points on this thread, it's hard to discern if there is a consistent set of criteria for being issued Trip Credits versus Flight Credits (obviously there must be one, since this process is automated, but it appears to be highly complex). That said, since AA is working on converting all credits to Trip Credit and there are more and more reports of canceled flights being issued Trip Credits right away (rather than Flight Credits), I would say your chances are pretty decent if you cancel in Nov 2023.
Thanks. So given this confusion and uncertainty, if I use my goodwill travel credit that was issued in Feb 2022 before its expiration in Feb 2023 to buy a changeable ticket (not basic economy) for November 2023, is the worst that can happen if I cancel that ticket that I have a voucher for another ticket that I need to fly by Nov. 2023? Is there any way my Feb. 2023 issued ticket using my Feb. 2022 travel credit has no value if I don't fly it?
Old Jan 23, 23, 11:45 am

Bought a cheap flight with an expiring flight credit to get the remainder as a new trip credit. AA person said I couldn't use the flight credit to buy a basic economy ticket, since the flight credit wasn't from a BE flight. That seems backwards? How would you even wind up with a flight credit from a BE flight? It wasn't a huge deal but cost me about $30 more per ticket to switch from BE to E. Just wondering if that was actually right.

She never made it to the point of contacting the ticketing desk or whoever it is the front line agents call to actually process the credit, so I figured she might have just been wrong and if I'd insisted she go to the next step maybe it would have worked.
Old Jan 25, 23, 12:38 pm

Can someone let me know if there's a term and condition I am overlooking here?

AA gave away our paid business class seats (I mention PAID bc it was not an upgrade, it was booked in I class). They could not rebook us within 24 hours, so a supervisor at AA offered a full refund as there was no airport within 300 miles to rebook us in ANY class of service.

1 of 3 tickets were FULLY refunded

Ticket 2:
Booked Sept 16 2022
One way: MSY-CLT-YYZ | Booked in I class (first / business)

Numbers are rounded to make it easier:
$700 USD total fare
$200 USD trip credit (this trip credit was issued due to a AA reservations agent rebooking my husband on the wrong flight, he did not ask it... it was given to him as a goodwill gesture)
$500 USD charged to AMEX

I understand we did not pay for $200 of the $700 fare so I would not at any point expect a $700 refund
How can they keep the FULL AMOUNT in a trip credit though.... why would the $500 not be owed to me in a refund?
Better yet, this trip credit expires in just over 2 weeks from today bc the original $200 USD trip credit was issued in Feb 2022
We live in Canada so our options with AA are limited unless going to the US

Ticket 3:
$700 FULL FARE
- $275 issued in a travel credit expires in Jan 2024
- $425 refunded

The $275 was a paper voucher issued to us in Jan/Feb 2020 due to a computer issue at US Pre-Clearance that affected several passengers being delayed that day. We used the $275 several times to rebook NEW flights but they were cancelled by AA as they had very limited service to Canada during COVID. We would have flown had the flights been available.
The $275 was still my money, paid with by credit card.
Now I'm still stuck with it?
Old Jan 25, 23, 2:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, ANA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
PSA to check your upcoming AA reservations -- just repriced one for February for the second time, with my total residual Trip Credits from this single one-way domestic leg now totaling $62!
Old Jan 25, 23, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by EJRofChicago View Post
PSA to check your upcoming AA reservations -- just repriced one for February for the second time, with my total residual Trip Credits from this single one-way domestic leg now totaling $62!
What's the easiest way to reprice it? Just cancel and rebook?

Search this Thread