Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Sep 25, 22, 8:51 am

Question Using AA Flight Credit in Europe

Any tips on this?
We are UK based and booked flights for a family Winter USA holiday in July direct with AA site, but have just had to cancel. AA are offering flight credit per person, with 1 year to use from day of booking! Note to self never book with AA again.
I think this means we have to rebook flights UK to USA to happen before July next year? Not ideal.
The helpline vaguely said we could book AA codeshare flights across Europe, and use the AA flight credit for these(?)
Does anyone know if this is possible? and how to find out the codeshare UK->EUR flights that might work?
Old Sep 25, 22, 11:13 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by dazza007 View Post
Any tips on this?
We are UK based and booked flights for a family Winter USA holiday in July direct with AA site, but have just had to cancel. AA are offering flight credit per person, with 1 year to use from day of booking! Note to self never book with AA again.
I think this means we have to rebook flights UK to USA to happen before July next year? Not ideal.
The helpline vaguely said we could book AA codeshare flights across Europe, and use the AA flight credit for these(?)
Does anyone know if this is possible? and how to find out the codeshare UK->EUR flights that might work?
flights originating from UK going to destinations other than the United States are going to be exorbitantly expensive!

pro tip, keep rebooking for a few months out with some tight connections in the US, expect a schedule change and get a credit with a new expiration date!
Old Sep 25, 22, 11:33 am

thx - good tip!. But I'm not due to be in the usa for a while yet, and $ currency very expensive atm.
Do you know how I can even find AA code-share flights that go across Europe.
I might be able to use them for affordable Euro hols?
Old Sep 25, 22, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by dazza007 View Post
! Note to self never book with AA again.
If you had booked via BA and then cancelled then all you'd get back is the proper governemt taxes and airport fees and that's it - about 250 at most.if these were in Business and a hundred or so in economy

Since AA don't sell intra Europe tickets without an accompanying TATL I'm not sure how you're going to use the credit for european trips.
Old Sep 25, 22, 1:05 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
flights originating from UK going to destinations other than the United States are going to be exorbitantly expensive!

pro tip, keep rebooking for a few months out with some tight connections in the US, expect a schedule change and get a credit with a new expiration date!
Didnt know This would work to extend refund window. I thought the original date still stood.
Old Sep 26, 22, 8:45 am

I purchased a new ticket with three trip credits and got a trip credit back for difference between the ticket price and total amt of the three trip credits. Then I canceled the ticket within the 24 hours. Now the ticket is showing as "Refund Requested" and when I check the status, it says "In Progress". Am I going to get a FLIGHT CREDIT or a TRIP CREDIT issued for the refund? And BTW, stupid AA IT system that I have to wait a week for the credit. I believe DL does it immediately.
Old Sep 26, 22, 5:01 pm

Programs: SkyTeam Elite Plus lifetime
Originally Posted by shidden View Post
I purchased a new ticket with three trip credits and got a trip credit back for difference between the ticket price and total amt of the three trip credits. Then I canceled the ticket within the 24 hours. Now the ticket is showing as "Refund Requested" and when I check the status, it says "In Progress". Am I going to get a FLIGHT CREDIT or a TRIP CREDIT issued for the refund? And BTW, stupid AA IT system that I have to wait a week for the credit. I believe DL does it immediately.
I received a Trip Credit, but I was told by an agent that this is not always reliably the case, and it depends on where your specific circumstances fall on AA's transition from Flight Credits to Trip Credits. Some cases get processed as Flight Credit. The credit should get processed within a couple days in most cases.

Also, I am as much of a Delta fanboy as the next person, but DL's IT system is honestly full of glitches, too. I've had numerous cases where the credits didn't get processed correctly and I had to talk to someone on the line for half an hour to fix it. Delta used to have competent staff readily available to handle such cases, but during the pandemic Delta's staff training and availability have also declined...
Old Sep 28, 22, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold
I didn't realize that you couldn't use trip credits granted as the result of a US issued ticket for travel originating outside the US.

An AA representative very politely explained the policy. Interestingly enough, she sai they hace a test program that allows US trip credits to be used for travel originating in the U.K. coutries including Bermuda. She also said that it is likely that other countries will be added.

It didn't help for my AKL-GEG trip, but that is the way it goes. Somewhat surprisingly the credits migrated from paper to flight to trip credits with minimal effort on my part.
Old Today, 3:09 am

Programs: Skywards Silver, AerClub Silver
Hi all. Hoping for some advice with this as I'm an AA novice:

Following some cancelled flights from back in 2020 (ex. MIA) I've got 2 Flight Credits (approx. $300 & $170) that expire today (30th Sept.) for travel by 31st Dec.

I'm based in Ireland so was hoping to use them against AA or BA flights to US but when I called the reservation line, I was told they need to be used against US-origin flights and that only one could be used against a TATL reservation.

Does this sound right and could you advise how best to use these credits or should I just let them expire?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Today, 3:35 am

Programs: LH FTL, AY+ Gold, TAP Gold, BAEC, AF FB
Originally Posted by bryanto1 View Post
Hi all. Hoping for some advice with this as I'm an AA novice:

Following some cancelled flights from back in 2020 (ex. MIA) I've got 2 Flight Credits (approx. $300 & $170) that expire today (30th Sept.) for travel by 31st Dec.

I'm based in Ireland so was hoping to use them against AA or BA flights to US but when I called the reservation line, I was told they need to be used against US-origin flights and that only one could be used against a TATL reservation.

Does this sound right and could you advise how best to use these credits or should I just let them expire?

Many thanks in advance.
Had the same problem and got the same answer. Was told to get in touch with Customer Relations through the online contact form. I asked for alternatives for us non-US-based travellers. They offered me to transform my credit into a voucher which can be used for any AA flights, disregarding airport of origin. Only hook is that it had to be a paper-based voucher that they mailed to me (eVoucher only seems to be for US-based customers). Pretty oldschool, but it essentially solved my problem. Can now book AA flights from anywhere and got another year to use it as the validity starts with date of issuance of the voucher.

Considering that your credit expires today, you better take up action immediately. I think this customer relations team can only be contacted via their contact form, no phone number anywhere. They reply within 1-2 weeks, I think. Called me back actually and offered me the voucher option on the phone, followed by email exchanges on mailing details. So, maybe do the same, directly suggest the voucher, and hope they show mercy when you write to them today, not telling you it's too late.
sherships2 likes this.
Old Today, 4:24 am

Programs: Skywards Silver, AerClub Silver
Originally Posted by AxelJF View Post
Had the same problem and got the same answer. Was told to get in touch with Customer Relations through the online contact form. I asked for alternatives for us non-US-based travellers. They offered me to transform my credit into a voucher which can be used for any AA flights, disregarding airport of origin. Only hook is that it had to be a paper-based voucher that they mailed to me (eVoucher only seems to be for US-based customers). Pretty oldschool, but it essentially solved my problem. Can now book AA flights from anywhere and got another year to use it as the validity starts with date of issuance of the voucher.

Considering that your credit expires today, you better take up action immediately. I think this customer relations team can only be contacted via their contact form, no phone number anywhere. They reply within 1-2 weeks, I think. Called me back actually and offered me the voucher option on the phone, followed by email exchanges on mailing details. So, maybe do the same, directly suggest the voucher, and hope they show mercy when you write to them today, not telling you it's too late.
Thanks a million. I've just put a request in with Customer Relations asking for a voucher as you advised. It's a bit of a long shot but fingers crossed!
Old Today, 6:35 am

Is there any other way to use American credits?

I have two credits for American Airlines, but they're in the original ticket holder's names (mine and my husband's). We have to use them by the end of this month and fly before the end of the calendar year. None of this is really workable for us. Is there any other way we can use the credits or sell them? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old Today, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk sherships2.

We're going to move this to our AA forum for further insight.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Today, 9:16 am

Thank you!
Old Today, 9:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by sherships2 View Post
I have two credits for American Airlines, but they're in the original ticket holder's names (mine and my husband's). We have to use them by the end of this month and fly before the end of the calendar year. None of this is really workable for us. Is there any other way we can use the credits or sell them? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk sherships2.

We're going to move this to our AA forum for further insight.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
And I in turn will merge it in with the extant AA thread on this topic.

~Moderator

Search this Thread