Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:05 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I was told by a higher-up at AMEX that a flight credit remaning from a first class ticket cannot be used to book a coach ticket. This is not directly on point for the current post, but it does demonstrate that Amex's policies are not the same as AA's.

AA will take over an Amex ticket for an EXP with no fee.

The bottom line here is, don't book through AMEX unless you're quite sure you're going to take the trip.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Alright, I'm probably 90% sure this is how it works:

1) you get a flight credit2) if the ticket was purchased March 14 2022 and is cancelled September 23 2022, travel needs to be started by March 14, 2023.
3) if you have, say, 2000 USD in flight credit that would expire unused by March 14 2023, you COULD book a throwaway ticket for the cheapest flight you can find in the AA system (say, 100 dollars), which converts the remaining 1900 of flight credit into 1900 of trip credit, with an expiration date of March 14, 2024 (!). And this just needs to be booked by March 14, 2023, so you've effectively extended the duration of your credit by 2 years for the cost of 100 dollars. Not optimal, but better than losing the whole amount. And also more flexible, since trip credit can be used for anyone, not just yourself.

What happens if you then cancel the throw away reservation? Does it have any credit in return?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Woofbite
What happens if you then cancel the throw away reservation? Does it have any credit in return?
You get a flight credit worth its value with the original (e.g. the original flight credit used to book the throwaway ticket)'s expiry date. (in the hypothetical scenario: March 14, 2023)
Old Jul 21, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
I don't need American to change anything here, but curious if the consensus is that I should have done something differently: I had a flight credit of $250 and used it to purchase a $350 ticket, so I paid an additional $100. But several hours after buying the ticket, my plans changed and I cancelled it (well within the 24 hours), assuming the $250 would remain a flight credit and the $100 would be refunded. Later that day when my plans solidified again, when I went to purchase the second new ticket (also $350), I put in the ticket number from my flight credit, assuming it would ask me for another $100, but aa.com instead said the flight credit was $350. This was a no harm/no foul situation, but shouldn't that original $100 have been refunded rather than added to my existing flight credit, or does mingling a flight credit and fresh cash mess up the 24-hour refund rule? Or perhaps I tried to use the flight credit too soon, before AA had the chance to divide the cancelled reservation between a flight credit and a cash refund? As I said, only curious for future situations where the refund might be more important.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Flight credit option not availabe for international?

I am trying to book online, DFW-FCO-DFW for next May/June, in PE
When I try to pay, it doesn't give me a Flight Credit option, just Trip Credit
Oddly, if the booking has two seats it tells me I can't use Trip Credit for 2 passengers
When I try to book a domestic flight, I was offered Flight Credit, and able to use 2 flight credits for 2 people, as two boxes popped up.
Is this new, I thought I had used flight credit before for International on AA.com
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
My bookings were all hit or miss as to when I had the Flight Credit option in the interface - domestic or international. If it didn't appear, I held the reservation and called in, let them know the option wasn't available but I wanted to use credit adn all was fine
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:05 pm

Issue is that it is a flight credit and there are 2 pax on PNR. U need to call AA and have it converted to a trip credit. Or have them skip the PNR

Originally Posted by mvoight
I am trying to book online, DFW-FCO-DFW for next May/June, in PE
When I try to pay, it doesn't give me a Flight Credit option, just Trip Credit
Oddly, if the booking has two seats it tells me I can't use Trip Credit for 2 passengers
When I try to book a domestic flight, I was offered Flight Credit, and able to use 2 flight credits for 2 people, as two boxes popped up.
Is this new, I thought I had used flight credit before for International on AA.com
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:15 pm

If it allows you to use the hold radio button just hit hold and just call AA on a speaker phone. Have a book or newspaper to read while you hold.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:15 am

Was told yesterday by an AA agent that I cannot use flight credit for any international segment as either partial payment or otherwise. Perhaps I did not speak with the right person?
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Bootman4U
Was told yesterday by an AA agent that I cannot use flight credit for any international segment as either partial payment or otherwise. Perhaps I did not speak with the right person?
The post above yours are correct unless the travel begins outside the US-then you cannot use flight credits. Travel has to start at a domestic airport to be eligible for flight credits.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Originally Posted by redtop43
I was told by a higher-up at AMEX that a flight credit remaning from a first class ticket cannot be used to book a coach ticket. This is not directly on point for the current post, but it does demonstrate that Amex's policies are not the same as AA's.

AA will take over an Amex ticket for an EXP with no fee.

The bottom line here is, don't book through AMEX unless you're quite sure you're going to take the trip.
So stupid. Spent hours on the phone with Amex today over the same issue. They couldn't point me *anywhere* in AA's or their terms that said it must be used on the same fare class but multiple reps swore up and down it was their policy.

Now to call AA, but not EXP so there will be a fee.

Edit called AA best use of $50 and 17 minutes ever. So, never gonna be using Amex travel again after this.

Last edited by AZbba; Jul 24, 2022 at 3:01 pm
Old Jul 31, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Just ran into this today. No idea why AA shows these in one's online wallet if they can't actually be used online. At minimum, there should be a note to "put your flight on hold and call us to use this credit." It looks like AA is hoping for a lot of breakage.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by js1993
Just ran into this today. No idea why AA shows these in one's online wallet if they can't actually be used online. At minimum, there should be a note to "put your flight on hold and call us to use this credit." It looks like AA is hoping for a lot of breakage.
I don't know that it's that deliberate, but they're sure not doing much to fix these very well known problems (unlike UA and DL, both of which made substantial efforts to improve ease of reusing cancelled tickets during the pandemic - UA especially).

But what most aggravates me is that the bulk of my cancelled tickets never showed up in my wallet. The whole situation has made the decision to focus my OW accruals to AS very very easy.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:06 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't know that it's that deliberate, but they're sure not doing much to fix these very well known problems (unlike UA and DL, both of which made substantial efforts to improve ease of reusing cancelled tickets during the pandemic - UA especially).

But what most aggravates me is that the bulk of my cancelled tickets never showed up in my wallet. The whole situation has made the decision to focus my OW accruals to AS very very easy.
With AA these days, it's tough to decide whether it's malice or incompetence. I cut these companies a lot of slack in 2020 and into 2021. AA has now had over two years to make improvements but things seem to be getting worse. You'd think it would be a top priority to make it so as few people as possible need to call in, particularly if staff shortages are causing absurd wait times. Instead, presumably hundreds of thousands of people still need to call in to use these credits.

What's worse, the credits themselves are often broken. Last year, if I clicked on one, it would tell me the value. Now they show expiration dates in Sept. but they all return a "system error" after trying to do anything with them.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by js1993
What's worse, the credits themselves are often broken. Last year, if I clicked on one, it would tell me the value. Now they show expiration dates in Sept. but they all return a "system error" after trying to do anything with them.
Yeah, I end up relying on old emails to determine the value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.