Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by srikp
The way I understand Trip Credit and someone can correct me if I am wrong, the outbound flight has to occur before the expiration date. Having said that, I had booked a flight DFW-MSY but had to postpone. The change fee was ridiculous so I asked them to cancel. They reinstated my Trip Credit with a new expiration of Oct 2022. YMMV.
I think your referring to flight credit not trip credit.....that's where I'm confused????? I know you have to start travel by the expiration of flight credit. But, it only says expiration date for trip credit....with no explanation on weather that's use it to book by or you have to start travel by.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:01 am

International flight originating outside US priced in USD

A follow up question and related to azsund's post:
I have a similar issue. We booked flights to Europe for fall 2021 and had to cancel due to lockdowns. I tried calling AA reservations today to use the flight credits we have from those cancellations- wanted to book flights to Puerto Rico. They said we can only use the flight credit's to/from Spain since that was where the original flights were going. So we will likely lose out on that $$ since we don't have any plans to go to Europe this year. Ridiculous rule.
I've booked a flight from Ireland to the US in October. I used the US website and input a US billing address (even if my credit card is not American) to pay for the flights because they were 2.5x cheaper than the identical European option.
If I cancel for credit, will I be able to use it on a flight from Ireland to the US? Or will the credit be restricted to US domestic routes?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by tosaerba24
A follow up question and related to azsund's post:

I've booked a flight from Ireland to the US in October. I used the US website and input a US billing address (even if my credit card is not American) to pay for the flights because they were 2.5x cheaper than the identical European option.
If I cancel for credit, will I be able to use it on a flight from Ireland to the US? Or will the credit be restricted to US domestic routes?
It is my understanding, based on my convo with AA customer service, international flights can only be rebooked for international flights if using flight credit. So in my case, a trip from Spain to US has to be rebooked for US to/from Europe route. So you should be ok rebooking if you need to cancel.
flyertalker0013223 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by azsund
It is my understanding, based on my convo with AA customer service, international flights can only be rebooked for international flights if using flight credit. So in my case, a trip from Spain to US has to be rebooked for US to/from Europe route. So you should be ok rebooking if you need to cancel.
Yes, finally managed to get through to AA customer service. The friendly agent said that, even if I paid in USD, the ticket is actually issued in EUR, so if I cancel I'll be able to use the credit for any route ex-EU.
Honestly, AA customer service has been excellent ime. UK or Irish line are quick to put you through to an agent, too.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:08 am

Value of flight credit

My situation does not appear to be covered in this thread. I'm trying to find the value of the credit. First thing to note is that I have a flight credit and not a trip credit in my wallet.

There were 2 1-way business class award flights from USA-Chile for the total solar eclipse in December 2020. AA cancelled the flights and the aadvantage miles returned to my account. I received a refund of the USA-Chile taxes/fees, $5.60. No refund of the Chile-USA taxes/fees of about $50. I wonder if the flight credit is for the taxes/fees. If I knew the value of the flight credit, I could determine if that was the case.

The timeline is as follows.
Ticket issued 17-Feb-2020 for trip SCL-MIA-DCA on 19-Dec-2020.
Flight cancelled by AA on 3-Sep-2020
Flight credit expires 30-Sep-2022

Any suggestions as to how to proceed other than calling reservations? I'm not a twitter user so that manner of contact is out.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by headinclouds
My situation does not appear to be covered in this thread. I'm trying to find the value of the credit. First thing to note is that I have a flight credit and not a trip credit in my wallet.

There were 2 1-way business class award flights from USA-Chile for the total solar eclipse in December 2020. AA cancelled the flights and the aadvantage miles returned to my account. I received a refund of the USA-Chile taxes/fees, $5.60. No refund of the Chile-USA taxes/fees of about $50. I wonder if the flight credit is for the taxes/fees. If I knew the value of the flight credit, I could determine if that was the case.

The timeline is as follows.
Ticket issued 17-Feb-2020 for trip SCL-MIA-DCA on 19-Dec-2020.
Flight cancelled by AA on 3-Sep-2020
Flight credit expires 30-Sep-2022

Any suggestions as to how to proceed other than calling reservations? I'm not a twitter user so that manner of contact is out.

What happens when you look up the ticket on aa.com? Typing in the eTicket number should pull up the flight credit (if it's not already in your wallet).
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:44 pm

Anyone have experience getting AA to outright convert their Flight Credits to Trip Credits? I have several Flight Credits I'd like to use up on one flight, but can't with the restrictions. I thought all of these were supposed to be converted already?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
What happens when you look up the ticket on aa.com? Typing in the eTicket number should pull up the flight credit (if it's not already in your wallet).
That's the issue. The credit is in my wallet with ticket number and PNR, but no dollar amount just --. I clicked on every URL in all phases, nada.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headinclouds
That's the issue. The credit is in my wallet with ticket number and PNR, but no dollar amount just --. I clicked on every URL in all phases, nada.
But did you try looking up the PNR/ticket number under "manage my booking" instead of your wallet?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
But did you try looking up the PNR/ticket number under "manage my booking" instead of your wallet?
Just now checked. Same info as in my wallet. Flight cancelled and no dollar amount even with details expanded. I'll call in, though not sure what the agents can do that we cannot do online.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to make absolutely sure I called in today, this is how it went:

"I have a flight credit and a trip credit that expire end of the year, can I use both in the same booking?"

"No"

"Okay, I only have more flight to take this year, is there a way I can extend one or both of them?"

"No"

"... Okay, so.. hypothetically, if I make a booking today and use my flight or trip credit on it and then cancel that booking, does that then give me a new flight credit that I can use until a year after booking?"

"... Yes"

... Why can't they just extend it when extending it is as simple as booking & canceling? I just need to find a flight that costs maybe a dollar more than my flight/trip credit to not make my interest-free loan to AA too big, but it's just an unnecessary hassle. And why not make flight & trip credit combine able? -shrug-
Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Has anyone had similar experience with utilizing an AA flight credit via Amex? Is there anyway to get/pay a fee to work with AA directly to utilize a credit on a ticket originally booked with Amex Platinum travel?
Old Apr 16, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by azsund
Originally Posted by tosaerba24
Yes, finally managed to get through to AA customer service. The friendly agent said that, even if I paid in USD, the ticket is actually issued in EUR, so if I cancel I'll be able to use the credit for any route ex-EU.
Do you know if in the event you have to cancel, is the value of the credit fixed in EUR or USD?
Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by econ
Do you know if in the event you have to cancel, is the value of the credit fixed in EUR or USD?
I'd say EUR, because that's the ticket's currency.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Thanks for the info. I just bought a fully flexible tkt with my 3 credits. Will cancel it tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.