Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by ACR2013
If the new booking is more than the original Flight Credit, then you have to pay the difference. If less, then you will be given a voucher.
How long is it supposed to take for the residual to be issued as an e-voucher? I used a Flight Credit for a new booking 6 days ago and was told I would receive an e-voucher for the residual but have not received anything by email nor is there any credit in my Wallet.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:15 am

Programs: AA EP
No. The premium lines - or the go to the head of the queue is for status holders. It’s one of our benefits. If you don’t have status, you should go to the regular lines.

Originally Posted by OpenSky
As someone who doesn't hold AA status and buys premium tickets, and no patience for speaking to regular agents, having someone to manage my travel with access to AA Global Travel Sales support has been helpful. You are right the external travel agents have to follow the rules, but there are avenues to go straight to the top, which has been handy for rebookings

I wish the US airlines would send people who bought premium tickets outright to the EXP line ( or similar) instead of the regular line. That would be helpful for me.
Emirates and Etihad etc do this...
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: Independent
Since it's not entirely clear to me: if I cancel a flight, is the expiration a year from when I cancel, or a year from when I booked it?
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
I don't have status on AA, ( and don't intend to) . As a buyer fo premium tickets on AA - I just use a TA with access to Global Sales Support, a handy shortcut. Its a nice backdoor to agents who are empowered to do things the regular agents cannot.

This only works if you spent money on J/F tickets, or have a relationship with a travel manager.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 10:15 pm

AA told me I couldn't use an evoucher for a changed flight....

Two questions - I think I just got told a bunch of lies by a phone agent - want to check with the community to see if that might be the case or if I didn't handle a rebooking correctly.

I wanted to change a flight that was booked in February pre-Covid being a thing. I wanted to change the dates of travel (out and return) and the booking class - from economy to first. Same passengers.

The agent was helpful with making the change. Initially she told me the fare difference was $900 about. I had an evoucher that would cover this. She put me on hold and came back and said the evoucher couldn't be used to pay for the difference. I was surprised but hadn't studied the terms and conditions. Then she also said that I would have to pay $600 in change fees ($200x3) because they were bought preCovid. This didn't seem right and I tried to find the waiver details while on the phone with her but couldn't.

So I ended up paying the $1,500 on my credit card.

Should I have been able to use the vouchers (they are evouchers with a pin code etc). Was she correct about charging me the $200? I made the mistake of calling at the end of a long tiring day and didn't feel like fighting her..... Worth a call back or just let it go.... Thanks for any advice.

Ray
Old Nov 9, 2020, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Raymoland
Two questions - I think I just got told a bunch of lies by a phone agent - want to check with the community to see if that might be the case or if I didn't handle a rebooking correctly.

I wanted to change a flight that was booked in February pre-Covid being a thing. I wanted to change the dates of travel (out and return) and the booking class - from economy to first. Same passengers.

The agent was helpful with making the change. Initially she told me the fare difference was $900 about. I had an evoucher that would cover this. She put me on hold and came back and said the evoucher couldn't be used to pay for the difference. I was surprised but hadn't studied the terms and conditions. Then she also said that I would have to pay $600 in change fees ($200x3) because they were bought preCovid. This didn't seem right and I tried to find the waiver details while on the phone with her but couldn't.

So I ended up paying the $1,500 on my credit card.

Should I have been able to use the vouchers (they are evouchers with a pin code etc). Was she correct about charging me the $200? I made the mistake of calling at the end of a long tiring day and didn't feel like fighting her..... Worth a call back or just let it go.... Thanks for any advice.

Ray
My understanding is you cannot combine fight credit and evouchers.
Did you try HUCA?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
eVouchers arent able to be applied to ticket changes so the agent was correct there.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Agent was correct. It becomes most pronounced with AA's elimination of change fees. While changes resulting in lower fares do generate a credit, if one then changes again and the new new fare is an increase, one cannot use the credit to pay for the second change and must use "new" funds.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hkcj
Since it's not entirely clear to me: if I cancel a flight, is the expiration a year from when I cancel, or a year from when I booked it?
I have the same question. A family member booked a trip to Cartagena back in February that was supposed to depart this week. Family member ended up canceling the flight and received ~$900 flight credit, but I'm trying to figure out for them if they have until 12/31/21 to use the credit or need to book tickets by next February
Old Nov 11, 2020, 6:56 pm

Not sure where this is written, but I have flight credit for a flight I cancelled that was originally for MIA-SJU. I am trying to use this ticket's value for MGA-USA, but it says
We're sorry, but you can't depart from a different country / region than your original trip.
Wasn't aware of these limitations...?
Old Nov 14, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
You put a reservation on hold on the AA website and then call in and tell them that you want to use a voucher, they will give you instructions on how to mail the voucher into Pensocola Florida for ticketing. You can also buy a ticket in person at an airport ticket counter.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I wish AA would figure out a way to generate something that can be used online without this nonsense.
It wasn't a big deal when I was flying a lot or when I lived in San Jose, CA because using it at the airport or city ticket office was not as difficult
I believe the San Jose city ticket office is no longer open but I could be wrong............long time since I went there.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
What a pain. Might as well deduct cost of detour to ticket office/airport or postage costs, plus however much one values an hour or so of their time, from the value of the voucher.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by econ
What a pain. Might as well deduct cost of detour to ticket office/airport or postage costs, plus however much one values an hour or so of their time, from the value of the voucher.
The cost of a stamp? Plus, if I recall, these vouchers are not subject to some of the taxes, so you actually get your flight for less than quoted when it is processed.
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA has zero incentive here. The breakage on credits / vouchers and other funny money is high to begin with. Paper increases it.

But, as noted, we are talking about the cost of a stamp, so it is hardly a disincentive to someone motivated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.