Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Jun 1, 22, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: *G
Trial & Error results:

I had both a flight credit AND a trip credit expiring end of September 2022, with no trips planned until next year. Figured I'd book a very cheap throwaway one-way ticket with both (BOS-DCA is 100 bucks each way), then decide later if I actually want to fly it or not.

Trip credit: Leftover amount did NOT extend the duration - still expiring September 2022.
Flight credit: Leftover becomes a fresh trip credit, expires June 1 2023.

I guess now I still have a bunch of unused trip credit, dang. I wonder what would happen to the flight-credit booked flight if I cancelled it - becomes flight credit with original expiry? Becomes trip credit with original expiry? Becomes trip credit with new expiry?

EDIT: Turns out Trip Credit only has to be BOOKED by expiry date, not flown! Awesome, means I was able to use up all the residual value.

Originally Posted by Bojackson63044 View Post
Question regarding the trip credits converted from flight credits - the converted trip credits expire 1 year from the date of conversion. However AA just recently extended all flight credits to 12/31/2022. Some of my converted trip credits have expiration dates before 12/31/2022. Does anyone know if the expiration is also extended for these converted trip credits?
Nope, trip credits never got extended. Flight credits get extended to book by end of September, complete travel by end of December.

Last edited by Smiley90; Jun 2, 22 at 2:16 pm
Old Jun 14, 22, 10:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton, National, Hertz
Two quick questions re: cancelling and later rebooking

I've read through all 15 pages of this thread, and I'm afraid I'm more confused than before I started. So please forgive me if this was covered in a previous post:
My wife and I have a RT domestic booking in regular economy Sept. 24-28, 2022, same PNR. We may need to cancel.
1. Do I get a flight credit or a trip credit?
2. Tickets were purchased March 14, 2022. Do I have to book and start travel no later than that date, or can I book and start travel no later than the date the credit was issued (likely Sept. 23, 2022)?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Last edited by bob12403; Jun 14, 22 at 11:42 am
Old Jun 14, 22, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bob12403 View Post
I've read through all 15 pages of this thread, and I'm afraid I'm more confused than before I started. So please forgive me if this was covered in a previous post:
My wife and I have a RT domestic booking in regular economy Sept. 24-28, 2022, same PNR. We may need to cancel.
1. Do I get a flight credit or a trip credit?
2. Tickets were purchased March 14, 2022. Do I have to book and start travel no later than that date, or can I book and start travel no later than the date the credit was issued (likely Sept. 23, 2022)?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Alright, I'm probably 90% sure this is how it works:

1) you get a flight credit2) if the ticket was purchased March 14 2022 and is cancelled September 23 2022, travel needs to be started by March 14, 2023.
3) if you have, say, 2000 USD in flight credit that would expire unused by March 14 2023, you COULD book a throwaway ticket for the cheapest flight you can find in the AA system (say, 100 dollars), which converts the remaining 1900 of flight credit into 1900 of trip credit, with an expiration date of March 14, 2024 (!). And this just needs to be booked by March 14, 2023, so you've effectively extended the duration of your credit by 2 years for the cost of 100 dollars. Not optimal, but better than losing the whole amount. And also more flexible, since trip credit can be used for anyone, not just yourself.
Old Jun 16, 22, 1:01 am

1.Wife and i each have trip credits for $200. Can we use both of them (in different AA wallets) towards a ticket $650 ticket for our son?

2.We also both each have a flight credit. looks like we personally individually have to use that one? page 1 of this group says thats not transferable?

thanks for your time. I tried to call AA, the agent basically sounded like it was their first day and knowing the labor crisis it might have been. They had no idea what credits were
Old Jun 16, 22, 6:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lunchtime View Post
1.Wife and i each have trip credits for $200. Can we use both of them (in different AA wallets) towards a ticket $650 ticket for our son?

2.We also both each have a flight credit. looks like we personally individually have to use that one? page 1 of this group says thats not transferable?

thanks for your time. I tried to call AA, the agent basically sounded like it was their first day and knowing the labor crisis it might have been. They had no idea what credits were
You got it right. Though as I mention the post above, depending on the flight credit amount - when you make a booking with flight credit, the leftover unused amount gets converted into a new trip credit.
lunchtime likes this.
Old Jun 20, 22, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott GFL, Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond,
Using a voucher issued in Europe - help

I have a voucher (or trip credit I don't know which) and want to use it. I am located in Belgium and so have to use the Belgian website to book (because if I try use the US website, it doesn't accept my Belgian credit card).

However, unlike the US website, when proceeding to the payment screen, there is nowhere to add a voucher number.

Has anyone figure this out yet? Ringing AA from here costs 15 cents a minute and of course you have to wait a long time so I am trying to avoid that.

Btw, I am trying to book an internal US flight (it drives me crazy that AA don't accept non-US CCs on their US website. All other airlines do).
Old Jun 20, 22, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC, LH MM, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by mjack99 View Post
I have a voucher (or trip credit I don't know which) and want to use it. I am located in Belgium and so have to use the Belgian website to book (because if I try use the US website, it doesn't accept my Belgian credit card).

However, unlike the US website, when proceeding to the payment screen, there is nowhere to add a voucher number.

Has anyone figure this out yet? Ringing AA from here costs 15 cents a minute and of course you have to wait a long time so I am trying to avoid that.

Btw, I am trying to book an internal US flight (it drives me crazy that AA don't accept non-US CCs on their US website. All other airlines do).
My experience: I have booked without issue on the US website twice using my UK credit cards and just inputting my friend's address in the US as a billing address.

I also had a $9.80 USD trip credit which I wanted to use on a domestic US booking. Interestingly, the trip credit was the result of a change to a EU-US booking, which I had bought on the US website. An agent over the phone told me that flight credit resulting from bookings ex-EU (even if bought on the American site) could only be used on itineraries priced in EUR and ex-EU; however, it is true that the European websites do not show the option to add a trip credit. But since I could use the US website even with my UK card, I just booked on the US website, inputting the trip credit number and paying with my UK card.

Do you see your trip credit in EUR or USD? My advice: try to use it on the US website and put a friend's address as a billing address if you need to pay with your Belgian card.
Old Jun 20, 22, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mjack99 View Post

Can you use the voucher on the US website?

I don't know the answer to this, but can you buy AA gift cards using a belgian credit card? That might be a workaround...
Old Jun 21, 22, 1:14 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott GFL, Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by tosaerba24 View Post
My experience: I have booked without issue on the US website twice using my UK credit cards and just inputting my friend's address in the US as a billing address.

I also had a $9.80 USD trip credit which I wanted to use on a domestic US booking. Interestingly, the trip credit was the result of a change to a EU-US booking, which I had bought on the US website. An agent over the phone told me that flight credit resulting from bookings ex-EU (even if bought on the American site) could only be used on itineraries priced in EUR and ex-EU; however, it is true that the European websites do not show the option to add a trip credit. But since I could use the US website even with my UK card, I just booked on the US website, inputting the trip credit number and paying with my UK card.

Do you see your trip credit in EUR or USD? My advice: try to use it on the US website and put a friend's address as a billing address if you need to pay with your Belgian card.
Thanks for the great suggestion of using a US address and I will try that in the future. However, for this voucher, I just tried to use it on the US website and could not. Funnily enough, the flight this credit is associated with was cancelled in January, and only yesterday I got a paper ticket (yep the old fashioned paper ticket) in the mail. It has 3 different 13 digit numbers on it and I tried them all several times before I noticed the words "Not Usable on AA.com" on the voucher. So back to the phone lines (which took 2 hours to call me back yesterday and after speaking to an agent for 2 minutes automatically put me back to the beginning of the queue).

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
I don't know the answer to this, but can you buy AA gift cards using a belgian credit card? That might be a workaround...
Indeed. I might try that if I get desperate enough. Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 22, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
Hello everyone,

I tried to read the entire forum, but still running into an issue... Any help, feedback, data points will be appreciated.

I have a ton of Trip Credits and Flight Credits.

I am trying to use them for a ONE WAY flight on AA, MEX-LAX. I know that flights originating from outside the US are tricky, but I thought the Trip Credit should be ok to use in this situation.

One way in the opposite direction, LAX-MEX allows me to use the credit.

Is this how it is supposed to work or is there a glitch?

Thanks!

Last edited by cdmca; Jun 28, 22 at 2:22 pm Reason: punctuation

Search this Thread