Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
AA really needs to step up and add a travel wallet bank or something to make life easier. I'm still grateful for no change fees so calling in isnt end of the world. well with these wait times it gets kind of close when you have a ticket on hold or if a partner is involved cause you cant put it on hold.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Amil
AA really needs to step up and add a travel wallet bank or something to make life easier. I'm still grateful for no change fees so calling in isnt end of the world. well with these wait times it gets kind of close when you have a ticket on hold or if a partner is involved cause you cant put it on hold.
What would your proposed travel bank offer that the current AA wallet does not? It holds Flight credits and travel credits. They can be used online for most bookings. Understand there have been some issues if you trying to apply credits to a hold, or are trying to apply multiple credits to a single reservation and therefore need a live agent. The current wallet capability AA allows me to see my credits and is greatly approved from the old paper vouchers.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Segments
What would your proposed travel bank offer that the current AA wallet does not? It holds Flight credits and travel credits. They can be used online for most bookings. Understand there have been some issues if you trying to apply credits to a hold, or are trying to apply multiple credits to a single reservation and therefore need a live agent. The current wallet capability AA allows me to see my credits and is greatly approved from the old paper vouchers.
One centralized 'BANK' where all Flight Credits and Trips go into. so instead of having like 6 fight credits 2 trip credits it will just take the value and dump into the wallet.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Amil
It would be nice, but "needs to"? If AA "needed to" to do this, they would have done so already. I'm afraid AA's model is pretty much the standard and not sure they have any incentive to match AS's far superior approach.

Originally Posted by Segments
What would your proposed travel bank offer that the current AA wallet does not?
The AS wallet would be a nice model. You maintain a single wallet balance, as opposed to having to track multiple credits in different amounts (as you must do with AA, UA, DL, and WN).
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
When I book a Flight Credit ticket - I go to "Your Trips" and click at the bottom on "Search for another trip".
I put in the 6 letter record locator and that allows you to pull up the trip. This now works with 2 people in the PNR.
Then you can rebook with the same passenger - and it pulls both yours and theirs out of the respective account.

If the new ticket is less then you get a Trip Credit.
Definitely improvement.
Had done a couple of these with 2 people and the first time you continue to book - it glitches.
But I backspace the browser and do again. Then it goes away.
But when you check in Your Trips it is there and ticketed.
This is happening since it appears that if one passengers gets free upgrades and the other has to use 500 mile coupons then you need to go back and check the upgrade boxes.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
It would be nice, but "needs to"? If AA "needed to" to do this, they would have done so already. I'm afraid AA's model is pretty much the standard and not sure they have any incentive to match AS's far superior approach.

The AS wallet would be a nice model. You maintain a single wallet balance, as opposed to having to track multiple credits in different amounts (as you must do with AA, UA, DL, and WN).
AA needs to do something. Finding a better way to automate the process would take the load off of agents, and reduce customer frustrations due to long hold times.
Southwest has been handling unused travel credit for years, and the process is simple.
NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest and Amil like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:29 am

LOL why are dissecting my sentence. you know what I meant with needs to.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mvoight
AA needs to do something. Finding a better way to automate the process would take the load off of agents, and reduce customer frustrations due to long hold times.
Southwest has been handling unused travel credit for years, and the process is simple.
Two or three months ago I would have agreed that AA's IT for handling unused ticket value sucks, but it's much better now and functions pretty well given the limitation that credits are stored by ticket number, rather than as a single balance. It's very similar to WN's, not sure why you think theirs is any better.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 12:01 pm

Programs: Chase, Amex, Citi, basically all of them
If you book a flight using flight credits and ticket value is less, you get overage as travel credit.

Does anyone know what happens if you then cancel that flight?

Do you get the cancelled flight back in form of flight credit and the whole thing reverts as flight credit?

Do you get the cancelled flight back in for of travel credit?

Do you get cancelled back flight credit but the overage continues to be travel credit?
Old Dec 29, 2021, 6:43 am

[I've read through this thread to the point of getting a migraine and, sadly, it's still clear as mud. Any guidance/advice would be appreciated:
  • I booked tickets in Guadeloupe in April 2021, thinking that my AA main cabin flights were "flexible" - I know, my own fault
  • France situation with Pass Sanitaire is a mess, especially on islands, so decided to cancel the ticket. I immediately received my cancellation email with flight credit details
  • I foolishly assumed that I could rebook new travel until April 2022. Wrong, I need to BEGIN travel by April 2022
  • I've made other plans for winter and spring travel so don't have any immediate use for the flight credit
Do I have any options here? It doesn't appear they can be extended, right? As others have asked, if I book a cheap flight to Des Moines or South Bend, will the rest of the value be reissued as a flight credit? Does that extend the value? If not, can I book a new ticket and then attempt to change the date to something past the date of the flight credit expiry? I'm beyond frustrated - United, Air France, Austrian, and Delta have made cancellations, refunds, and flexibility so easy. This does little to build loyalty to AA. Thanks for any feedback or advice.QUOTE=Mr. BoH;33733446]Yes, if you book a cheap flight, the residual will be issued to you as flight credit with one-year expiration from date of issue (so waiting until April to book the flight will give you the most time). Unless it is a flight you can actually use, you'll wind up eating the ~$30 (or whatever the cheapest fare you can find is), but a small price to pay to preserve value of an expensive ticket for another year.[/QUOTE]

Has this worked? I read through the last ~year of posts and cannot make sense of it all. They say things are flexible and then it is a sea of fine print to figure out where you fit in and with omicron traveling is harder.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
I cancelled my flight in Jan 2021 and the flight credit was expiring this month. Since the travel was to Mexico, I was not able to rebook using the Flight Credit online.

However, what I found was that once you have a new flight booked over the phone with your Flight Credit, the reminder amount is issued as a Trip Credit with a new expiration a year from now. I was even able to change/rebook the flight once the price dropped and get additional credits as a Trip Credit.

If I were to cancel the new flight, a new Trip Credit would be issued with a new expiration date one year from now.

I thought I was going to lose the credit, but it worked out much better than expected.
scoonee likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Two or three months ago I would have agreed that AA's IT for handling unused ticket value sucks, but it's much better now and functions pretty well given the limitation that credits are stored by ticket number, rather than as a single balance. It's very similar to WN's, not sure why you think theirs is any better.
Well it would be okay if it worked. Every single one of mine fails online, I have to call customer service to use them.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Can a trip credit that was issued due to a last minute involuntary downgrade be converted to AAdvantage miles?

Last edited by jw3putt; Jan 4, 2022 at 6:26 am Reason: Punctuation
Old Jan 5, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
If a ticket canceled in less than 24 hours of purchase and travel date still after 5 days. Does the passenger get a full cash refund to his original method of payment ( in this case his credit card ) or he will get a voucher for future travel date?
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:43 am

Change trip booked with evoucher

I have a trip booked with evoucher. I noticed that the fare is lower and tried to change the trip online hoping to get the fare diff either in flight or trip credit. But I’m not able to change flight online. If I cancel the flight, will I get a flight credit that will allow me to book the cheaper flight online?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.