Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Just rebooked our tickets for an upcoming trip. Exact same itinerary and dates but the fare decreased by $100. New tickets have already been issued. So I'm wondering how long will it be until the flight credit shows up online? Not worried about it yet as I have no idea when our next trip will be when I'll want to use it, but just curious if there's a lag between when new tickets are reissued and the flight credit actually shows up.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:54 pm

I'm sure this is probably discussed, but, you cannot use an eVoucher AND a flight credit for the same booking.
I'd stupidly taken a flight voucher instead of a refund for a cancelled flight back in 2019, (25% bonus or something). Used *some* of THAT to book 2 new flights (subsequently cancelled in 2020--thank you COVID) and they then issued ecredits for each passenger. So now I have one evoucher and 2 ecredits (2 diff. accounts). The only good thing is that AA extended the eVoucher expiration to 3/31/2022.

Was NOT able to apply the eCredit online. Waited 2.5 hours for callback (never happened). Called in, another 30 minutes on hold and now they have to send me a diff. department to apply the credit (really)?
Old Apr 10, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Apparently a trip credit can only be used for one passenger at a time. I tried booking an itinerary with two people, and trip credit did not show up as a payment option. I called and was told it could only be used for one passenger. The agent booked one passenger, which triggered another trip credit for the remaining balance. The agent then booked the second passenger with this trip credit, but the passengers are now on separate record locators.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by JJ804
Apparently a trip credit can only be used for one passenger at a time. I tried booking an itinerary with two people, and trip credit did not show up as a payment option. I called and was told it could only be used for one passenger. The agent booked one passenger, which triggered another trip credit for the remaining balance. The agent then booked the second passenger with this trip credit, but the passengers are now on separate record locators.
This is odd. One would think that an AA rep could simply process the tickets individually but keep the booking in one PNR. I don't know the operating mechanics of AA's internal "trip credit" system works but certainly unused tickets/credit held on a MCO can be processed separately (or sequentially) in Sabre.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
This is odd. One would think that an AA rep could simply process the tickets individually but keep the booking in one PNR. I don't know the operating mechanics of AA's internal "trip credit" system works but certainly unused tickets/credit held on a MCO can be processed separately (or sequentially) in Sabre.
I now found in the T&C: "You may only use Trip Credit for single-passenger reservations." It also says: "If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Trip Credit, you may pay the difference only with a credit card accepted by American." I assume that means no gift cards. These restrictions are really annoying.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by JJ804
I now found in the T&C: "You may only use Trip Credit for single-passenger reservations." It also says: "If the ticket price is greater than the value of the Trip Credit, you may pay the difference only with a credit card accepted by American." I assume that means no gift cards. These restrictions are really annoying.
Interesting, I guess this is one area where travel agency-issued tickets can facilitate more flexibility for the customer.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Anyone know on average how long it takes AA to get back to you regarding a refund request? The system said it would take 24 hours but considering I did that on Saturday and it's COVID times I'm assuming it's going to be a lot longer.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 3:37 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
I have a flight credit that expires January 23, 2022 but the website says "Flight Credit issued for flights voluntarily canceled by customers during the COVID-19 flexible period can be used for travel through March 31, 2022"? What are the dates of the covid flex period? Is January 2021 during this and therefore I have until March 31, 2022 to start travel.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Really hate how they make you call to book a flight using some trip credits, current wait time is over 2 hours and waiting about the same amount of time for a call back. As wonderful as the Twitter agents are they can't book new reservations. Ugh.
I have tried for two days and the wait times are over 4 hours both yesterday and today. It's ridiculous.
hurnik likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I got through in 10 minutes (8pm Pacific Sunday).

But it's been a rough ride.

Saw C7 for upgrades on the 8pm JFK-LAX. Quickly buy 2 cheap G fares. Tickets hung up for hours, no good reason. Finally go to bed. Of course, it ticketed, but no more upgrades.

Ok, pivot to the YUP fare - at a better time (Sun eve vs. Sat eve). But can I apply the coach fares for two to one new fare? Not if I want to use any of the many evouchers I have. Nor any of the many gift cards I have. So, I fork over extra $$ just to get a "flight credit" back, which similarly can't be used with anything other than a credit card.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:28 am

Never mind, was looking at old rules.

Last edited by joe318; Apr 22, 2021 at 11:47 am
Old Apr 24, 2021, 7:00 pm

Questions:

Can I combine flight credit and trip credit?

If I use multiple trip credit and I have more than the flight cost, do I get to keep the remaining trip credit amount? For example, a $90 flight and I have two trip credits of $50 each. Do I get to keep $10 in trip credit?
Old Apr 24, 2021, 8:35 pm

Has anyone tried converting a flight credit to a trip credit? I found some sites suggesting that if you find a really cheap flight, like $40 between two close cities or something and book that with your flight credit, you'll get the remainder back as trip credit. I'm contemplating trying this as I have 5 flight credits from a cancelled flight last year and American is one of the worst flight options for our trip this summer, plus all of the same people aren't going. My understanding is if I booked a very cheap flight at least then I could get some money back as a trip credit instead which would then no longer be tied to specific names, is that right?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 6:50 am

I used part of my flight credit and received the remainder back in an e-voucher. It is my understanding that flight credit can only be only for the individual on the original reservation but e-vouchers can be used for anyone.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by cmaberg
I used part of my flight credit and received the remainder back in an e-voucher. It is my understanding that flight credit can only be only for the individual on the original reservation but e-vouchers can be used for anyone.
I've had the same experience

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.