Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:10 pm

I just used part of my “flight credit” from a canceled flight due to COVID-19 yesterday for a trip in October 2021.

I received the remainder of my flight credit in an e-voucher within 24 hours. The voucher has a 12 month expiration date. The agent said that unlike the flight credit that requires travel to be completed by the expiration date, you just need to make a flight reservation prior to expiration of the voucher. She added that since AA’s flight schedules are available 11 months out, you effectively have 1 year plus 11 months to complete travel.

I have to say that AA website was not tremendously helpful and I kept getting different answers through the refunds and flight credit phone lines. However, I finally got a knowledgeable agent last night who was able to book my flight and clearly explain what would happen to the remaining flight credit.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:15 pm

I had a similar problem rebooking with flight credit online. The agent said the system has been having problems applying credits as they are normally good for 12 months but have been extended to 12/31/21. After a lot of frustration and several attempts, I called and had the agent book the trip and process an e-voucher for the remaining flight credit. You would think that AA would have a lot of these issues out by now.
FlyDeltaMD88 likes this.

Last edited by cmaberg; Mar 15, 2021 at 6:49 pm
Old Mar 15, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
If I book a trip for later this year and decide to cancel, how long is the voucher/credit good for? I see 1 year from issue date, so does that mean 1 year from when I cancel the reservation? 1 year from original ticketing date?
GoProf likes this.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Mar 17, 2021 at 7:38 pm
Old Mar 17, 2021, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
If I book a flight with a flight credit from a previously cancelled flight but then cancel my new flight after 24 hours, do I still get the original flight credit back as a refund to use some other time?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Enigma368
If I book a flight with a flight credit from a previously cancelled flight but then cancel my new flight after 24 hours, do I still get the original flight credit back as a refund to use some other time?
ANyone?
Old Mar 23, 2021, 5:39 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
I swear I saw a "Use Flight Credits" link in the Payment section on aa.com the other day. Now that I am booking a flight, it has disappeared. Anyone else having that problem or am I just looking in the wrong place?

TIA

PS I put the reservation on hold and will call in if needed
Old Mar 23, 2021, 7:12 pm

You are correct. There were buttons at the top of the payment section for flight credit and trip credit the last time I booked a flight a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I ended getting an error message when I entered my ticket number for the flight credit option and had to put my reservation on hold and call reservations to complete the reservation. Reservations said the system did not know how to handle the extended expiration date, which was 12/31/21 at the time.
bosman likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 7:22 pm

Enigma368 - I asked AA about this a couple of weeks ago when I was using flight credit to book a flight. Two of three AA reps said that I would receive flight credit if I needed to cancel the flights; however, the credit must be used by the same expiration date (e.g. 12/31/21). The third said that I would receive flight credit that must be used within 12 months.

Unfortunately, I did not get a consistent answer and there is no info about this anywhere on AA.com. I also searched a number of message boards but could not find an answer. I would recommend that you call AA and talk to more than one rep.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 2:17 pm

Looks like flight credits expiring 12/31/21 due to COVID have been extended to March 31, 2022. https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...vel-credit.jsp

The new expiration is yet to show correctly when I check the flight credits under my account when logged in, but hopefully that will change soon.
zanderblue likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
re FLIGHT CREDITS -- as in the ones that are quite limited for use online...if i call in, am i allowed to combine 2 or 3 different flight credits for payment of a new ticket on hold?
Old Mar 28, 2021, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by VSLover
re FLIGHT CREDITS -- as in the ones that are quite limited for use online...if i call in, am i allowed to combine 2 or 3 different flight credits for payment of a new ticket on hold?
2 flight credits can be used towards purchase of a new ticket if you call
VSLover likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA, WN, AS, AA
I have a $125 credit from the Platinum Select card that expires on 4/30. Do I have to fly by then, or do I only have to book by then? Sorry for the dumb question--I've never had a credit so long for me to know.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Really hate how they make you call to book a flight using some trip credits, current wait time is over 2 hours and waiting about the same amount of time for a call back. As wonderful as the Twitter agents are they can't book new reservations. Ugh.
hurnik likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Really hate how they make you call to book a flight using some trip credits, current wait time is over 2 hours and waiting about the same amount of time for a call back. As wonderful as the Twitter agents are they can't book new reservations. Ugh.
Actually never mind, The wonderful AAgent on Twitter was able to use the credit card on file with that reservation and I got the new flight booked. Still would've been waiting for a call-back from AA.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Is AA preparing to reimpose change fees for discounted Business and First? It seems odd that the banner on the aa.com home page reads "No Change Fees in the Main Cabin". Other links on the website still reflect no change fees for all but Basic Economy, but it caught my eye. Is it maybe just poor wording?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.