Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

The band is back together (mileage run party for 2020)!

Old Oct 15, 20, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt

Well, since the EQD requirement is gone for anyone who has decent annual credit card spend and is not shooting for EXP, and with rollover being in effect for the final three months of 2020, the mileage run game appears to be back on for the 2021 qualifying year. Provided you want to wear a mask for 12 hours.

Anyone else looking at some MR plays for the 2020/1 season?

I've found BWI-LAX via MIA available for $141 round trip. That's $0.02 a mile!
355F1, JB OmahAA, Zacnlinc and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 20, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Nope.

Regards
Old Oct 15, 20, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Nope - I view mileage run as a synonym to throwing money in a bin
Uzzar, TEBraniff and FAA1996 like this.
Old Oct 15, 20, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The thought passed my mind today. With discussion from experts that flying was safe with a mask.

I have not flown since March (and the last flights were UA from Australia). I am 2K EQM and $2.7K short of getting EXP this year. Everything else was earned by mid-Feb 2020.
So does it make sense to mask up and buy a couple of F tickets. Leaving the country is out of the question at this point. CA is no longer on Wash DC 's list of states requiring a 14 day quarantine upon return. Delaware is back on the list as a Covid hot spot.
The overlap for next year certainly makes this appealing.
JB OmahAA and 355F1 like this.
Old Oct 15, 20, 9:45 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by cova View Post
The thought passed my mind today. With discussion from experts that flying was safe with a mask.

I have not flown since March (and the last flights were UA from Australia). I am 2K EQM and $2.7K short of getting EXP this year. Everything else was earned by mid-Feb 2020.
So does it make sense to mask up and buy a couple of F tickets. Leaving the country is out of the question at this point. CA is no longer on Wash DC 's list of states requiring a 14 day quarantine upon return. Delaware is back on the list as a Covid hot spot.
The overlap for next year certainly makes this appealing.
You are rather close to EXP. Why not spend a couple of long weekends in San Diego and Palm Springs, flying out of DCA?

There are lots of benefits of EXP beyond the possible ability to actually use a SWU.
JB OmahAA and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Oct 15, 20, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Nope - I view mileage run as a synonym to throwing money in a bin
The same could be said for vacation.

I think if it's just chasing status for status, then yes. But if you really enjoy being on an airplane, then it's a mini vacation.
Old Oct 16, 20, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Well, since the EQD requirement is gone for anyone who has decent annual credit card spend and is not shooting for EXP, and with rollover being in effect for the final three months of 2020, the mileage run game appears to be back on for the 2021 qualifying year. Provided you want to wear a mask for 12 hours.

I've found BWI-LAX via MIA available for $141 round trip. That's $0.02 a mile!
Not really into MRs any more. Most of my first 2MM was earned from 2X to 4X the miles flown. Now it isn't even 1x
Don't need to make an effort to pursue status, as it too much work to get to EXP, and I already am lifetime PLT
Spiff and JB OmahAA like this.
Old Oct 16, 20, 5:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum / Hilton Diamond
I currently have two trips planned in early November that will leave me $244 EQDs short of EXP. If I donít have another reason to fly, Iíll just take the shortest same day flight possible to earn the remaining $244.
Not bad since I was only Gold at the beginning of the pandemic.
Old Oct 16, 20, 5:33 am

Programs: AA CK
Originally Posted by ranran View Post
I currently have two trips planned in early November that will leave me $244 EQDs short of EXP. If I donít have another reason to fly, Iíll just take the shortest same day flight possible to earn the remaining $244.
Not bad since I was only Gold at the beginning of the pandemic.
Unless already booked in first, could always upfare a segment or two to put you over the EQD threshold and save yourself the wasted trip.
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old Oct 16, 20, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dave_261 View Post
Unless already booked in first, could always upfare a segment or two to put you over the EQD threshold and save yourself the wasted trip.
Yes, both trips are already paid business/first.
I originally had the one trip from PHL-SJD as an award flight but canceled and rebooked as paid business/first. It will still leave me $244 EQDs short.
maybe a quick same day SBY-CLT by years end. I would take the trip this month but if the possibility arises for me to have another trip, Iíll just wait until closer to years end.
I look forward to EXP next year and see what Iíve been missing.
Old Oct 16, 20, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
booked the rest of this years travel using miles.... oh well
Old Oct 16, 20, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
booked the rest of this years travel using miles.... oh well
Cancel and rebook?
Old Oct 16, 20, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Make a little mini vacation out of it. Hotels are dirt cheap. I just got back from 3 days in Chicago. I got the last of the early fall weather before it turns cold. I'd work from the hotel room and enjoy the city as time allowed.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Oct 16, 20, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
"The band is back together!" Funny you mention that because that was my exact thought upon seeing that email. I had a physical smile upon opening it.

2021 will be filled with basement-bargain economy mileage runs, and it will be even more enjoyable as I'll be EXP. I've really missed hot-shotting out to BOS for some Santarpio's pizza and a nice walk in the city on a same-day turn for $120 and a ton of miles. Or taking the long way to my destinations when time permits. As my running mostly stopped once the EQD requirement was put into place, it'll be nice to partake in the tradition again if only for a little while.
Old Oct 16, 20, 10:50 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Silver
if the right opportunities presented itself I'd be all over a MR, but being Dallas based I don't see many cheap fares.

brewdog11 I'm surprised you can find anything for $120 being SHV based, that airport is always expensive!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: