Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

The band is back together (mileage run party for 2020)!

The band is back together (mileage run party for 2020)!

Old Oct 15, 20, 6:33 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Posts: 5,768
The band is back together (mileage run party for 2020)!

Well, since the EQD requirement is gone for anyone who has decent annual credit card spend and is not shooting for EXP, and with rollover being in effect for the final three months of 2020, the mileage run game appears to be back on for the 2021 qualifying year. Provided you want to wear a mask for 12 hours.

Anyone else looking at some MR plays for the 2020/1 season?

I've found BWI-LAX via MIA available for $141 round trip. That's $0.02 a mile!
355F1, JB OmahAA, Zacnlinc and 3 others like this.
IADCAflyer is offline  
Old Oct 15, 20, 8:42 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Posts: 4,613
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Anyone else looking at some MR plays for the 2020/1 season?
Nope.

Regards
scubadu is offline  
Old Oct 15, 20, 9:10 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,317
Nope - I view mileage run as a synonym to throwing money in a bin
Uzzar, TEBraniff and FAA1996 like this.
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Oct 15, 20, 9:12 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DCA
Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,090
The thought passed my mind today. With discussion from experts that flying was safe with a mask.

I have not flown since March (and the last flights were UA from Australia). I am 2K EQM and $2.7K short of getting EXP this year. Everything else was earned by mid-Feb 2020.
So does it make sense to mask up and buy a couple of F tickets. Leaving the country is out of the question at this point. CA is no longer on Wash DC 's list of states requiring a 14 day quarantine upon return. Delaware is back on the list as a Covid hot spot.
The overlap for next year certainly makes this appealing.
JB OmahAA and 355F1 like this.
cova is offline  
Old Oct 15, 20, 9:45 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Posts: 1,524
Originally Posted by cova View Post
The thought passed my mind today. With discussion from experts that flying was safe with a mask.

I have not flown since March (and the last flights were UA from Australia). I am 2K EQM and $2.7K short of getting EXP this year. Everything else was earned by mid-Feb 2020.
So does it make sense to mask up and buy a couple of F tickets. Leaving the country is out of the question at this point. CA is no longer on Wash DC 's list of states requiring a 14 day quarantine upon return. Delaware is back on the list as a Covid hot spot.
The overlap for next year certainly makes this appealing.
You are rather close to EXP. Why not spend a couple of long weekends in San Diego and Palm Springs, flying out of DCA?

There are lots of benefits of EXP beyond the possible ability to actually use a SWU.
JB OmahAA and Zacnlinc like this.
jcatman is offline  
Old Oct 15, 20, 10:50 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 6,130
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Nope - I view mileage run as a synonym to throwing money in a bin
The same could be said for vacation.

I think if it's just chasing status for status, then yes. But if you really enjoy being on an airplane, then it's a mini vacation.
Antarius is offline  
Old Oct 16, 20, 12:35 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 20,128
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Well, since the EQD requirement is gone for anyone who has decent annual credit card spend and is not shooting for EXP, and with rollover being in effect for the final three months of 2020, the mileage run game appears to be back on for the 2021 qualifying year. Provided you want to wear a mask for 12 hours.

Anyone else looking at some MR plays for the 2020/1 season?

I've found BWI-LAX via MIA available for $141 round trip. That's $0.02 a mile!
Not really into MRs any more. Most of my first 2MM was earned from 2X to 4X the miles flown. Now it isn't even 1x
Don't need to make an effort to pursue status, as it too much work to get to EXP, and I already am lifetime PLT
Spiff and JB OmahAA like this.
mvoight is offline  
Old Oct 16, 20, 5:19 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Delaware: PHL,WAS,NYC
Programs: AA Executive Platinum / Hilton Diamond
Posts: 19
I currently have two trips planned in early November that will leave me $244 EQDs short of EXP. If I donít have another reason to fly, Iíll just take the shortest same day flight possible to earn the remaining $244.
Not bad since I was only Gold at the beginning of the pandemic.
ranran is offline  
Old Oct 16, 20, 5:33 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: RDU
Programs: AA CK
Posts: 1,903
Originally Posted by ranran View Post
I currently have two trips planned in early November that will leave me $244 EQDs short of EXP. If I donít have another reason to fly, Iíll just take the shortest same day flight possible to earn the remaining $244.
Not bad since I was only Gold at the beginning of the pandemic.
Unless already booked in first, could always upfare a segment or two to put you over the EQD threshold and save yourself the wasted trip.
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
dave_261 is offline  
Old Oct 16, 20, 5:46 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Delaware: PHL,WAS,NYC
Programs: AA Executive Platinum / Hilton Diamond
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by dave_261 View Post
Unless already booked in first, could always upfare a segment or two to put you over the EQD threshold and save yourself the wasted trip.
Yes, both trips are already paid business/first.
I originally had the one trip from PHL-SJD as an award flight but canceled and rebooked as paid business/first. It will still leave me $244 EQDs short.
maybe a quick same day SBY-CLT by years end. I would take the trip this month but if the possibility arises for me to have another trip, Iíll just wait until closer to years end.
I look forward to EXP next year and see what Iíve been missing.
ranran is offline  
Old Oct 16, 20, 7:58 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Roswell, GA
Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,708
booked the rest of this years travel using miles.... oh well
fotographer is offline  
Old Oct 16, 20, 8:29 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Posts: 5,768
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
booked the rest of this years travel using miles.... oh well
Cancel and rebook?
IADCAflyer is offline  
Old Oct 16, 20, 9:59 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: AAdvantage PP
Posts: 13,198
Make a little mini vacation out of it. Hotels are dirt cheap. I just got back from 3 days in Chicago. I got the last of the early fall weather before it turns cold. I'd work from the hotel room and enjoy the city as time allowed.
JB OmahAA likes this.
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George is offline  
Old Oct 16, 20, 10:16 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shreveport (SHV)
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Posts: 2,531
"The band is back together!" Funny you mention that because that was my exact thought upon seeing that email. I had a physical smile upon opening it.

2021 will be filled with basement-bargain economy mileage runs, and it will be even more enjoyable as I'll be EXP. I've really missed hot-shotting out to BOS for some Santarpio's pizza and a nice walk in the city on a same-day turn for $120 and a ton of miles. Or taking the long way to my destinations when time permits. As my running mostly stopped once the EQD requirement was put into place, it'll be nice to partake in the tradition again if only for a little while.
brewdog11 is offline  
Old Oct 16, 20, 10:50 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dallas
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Silver
Posts: 329
if the right opportunities presented itself I'd be all over a MR, but being Dallas based I don't see many cheap fares.

brewdog11 I'm surprised you can find anything for $120 being SHV based, that airport is always expensive!
wakesetter93 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: