Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Elite for 2021 - Adjusted qualifying requirements and more announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Aadvantage elite earning requirements have been adjusted for 2021, and other changes have been made.
  • AAdvantage® members will get a head start on earning elite status for 2021 with an extra three months to earn towards elite qualification.
  • Members who use AAdvantage credit cards have an additional path to status.
  • Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum members rewarded for their loyalty with a new rewards menu.
  • Elite members now enjoy benefits when traveling on a Basic Economy fare.
  • AAdvantage members can view complete program details on aa.com/programupdates.

AAdvantage 2021

AAdvantage members can start earning elite status in 2021 right now. American will count all elite qualifying flight activity flown in the fourth quarter of 2020 toward a member’s 2021 qualifications.

AAdvantage 2021 tier requirements

Gold $2,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD), 20 EQ Segments (EQS) or 20,000 EQ Miles (EQM)
Platinum $4,500 EQD, 45 EQS or 40,000 EQM
Platinum Pro $7,000 EQD, 70 EQS or 60,000 EQM
Executive Platinum $12,000 EQD, 95 EQS or 80,000 EQM

Elite status achieved in 2021 is valid through Jan. 31, 2023.

For 2021, American will also waive the elite qualifying dollar requirement for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro if members spend $30,000 on purchases with their eligible AAdvantage credit cards. This gives members another way to achieve their elite status goal.

Rewarding our most loyal members

American thanks our elite members for their continued loyalty by making status even more rewarding in 2021. Awaiting Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum members is a curated menu of rewards, including items such as systemwide upgrades, Admirals Club day passes, bonus AAdvantage miles and more. This choice of rewards gives members achieving status in 2021 the flexibility to select the reward they value the most. More details will be coming soon.

Caring for elite status into 2021

As a reminder, in April, AAdvantage Gold, Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum elite members at that time had their status automatically extended to Jan. 31, 2022, given the reduced travel this year due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Elite benefits now available on Basic Economy fares

Since Oct. 1, elite members enjoy benefits such as priority access, upgrades privileges, access to Preferred and Main Cabin Extra Seats and same-day confirmed flight changes during their journey on Basic Economy fares.

To upgrade, elite members can use their 500-mile upgrade certificates, systemwide upgrade certificates or mileage award upgrades just as they do today with a Main Cabin fare.

Print Wikipost

AA Elite for 2021 - Adjusted qualifying requirements and more announced

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Arrow AA Elite for 2021 - Adjusted qualifying requirements and more announced

for EXP 80K EQM $12K EQD.
Oct - December 2020 travels count toward next year

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p..._Elite_Program
GlobalMatt and Antarius like this.

Last edited by enviroian; Oct 14, 2020 at 8:29 am
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Just saw this. Interesting.

BTW, small typo in your post - Oct-Dec counts, not Oct-Nov.
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Still 4 SWU's.

I think the rollover is a nice touch.

I find it odd that Gold-PP can spend 30K on an AA branded credit card to waive EQD requirement but not EXP's. WHY.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Still 4 SWU's.

I find it odd that Gold-PP can spend 30K on an AA branded credit card to waive EQD requirement but not EXP's. WHY.
Well, makes some sense. SWUs are arguably the most valuable thing about ExecPlat. AA doesn't want to give them out to people mileage running on super cheap longer haul flights.
drewp123 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Well, makes some sense. SWUs are arguably the most valuable thing about ExecPlat. AA doesn't want to give them out to people mileage running on super cheap longer haul flights.
Point taken but then why not offer say $50K annual spend on a AA branded card will waive EXP EQD requirements.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:42 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
For UA, only spending on legacy credit cards that are not open to new applications counts towards PQP for 1K. For DL, the MQD waiver is $25k for Silver, Gold, and Platinum and $250k for Diamond. I think it makes some sense to keep the top elite level harder to get.

I think it's interesting that the EQD thresholds are going up faster than the EQM thresholds -- perhaps a tacit acknowledgement that they expect most of their elite travel will be domestic, with limited opportunities for the crazy CPM mileage runs.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Well this makes my day. I guess the big unknown is what will business travel look like in 2021 and will there by a fair number of EXPs (and some CKs) with little in the way of 12 month rolling spend. There was a rumor going round that AA would soon be returning to normal Y beverage service. Being stuck in MCE with a free drink (assuming alcohol returns to Y) and a free snack/food item (assuming BOB returns to Y) takes the sting out of not upgraded. Of course I think my alternative should be just buy F, particularly given some of the upfare deals presented.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Oct - December 2020 travels count toward next year
That's a nice move for people that are travelling.

But the chances that I'm setting foot on a plane between now and December are someplace between 0% and 0%. Work travel is still completely shut down - and I'll drive for holiday travel.
writetorich and MasterPlanner like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VFR
$250k for Diamond.
LOL

that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. That's a long delta between platinum and Diamond spend. If one is spending $250K a year on a CC, EQD thresholds are utter meaningless.

Anyway back to AA. I noticed too the focus seems to be on EQD's. I agree with the other poster, AA figures business travel is still going to be very limited next year so they will be going after people who are paying for F. That's fine AA whatever, just make sure you bring your plane up to F standards F&B wise.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Well this makes my day. I guess the big unknown is what will business travel look like in 2021 and will there by a fair number of EXPs (and some CKs) with little in the way of 12 month rolling spend. There was a rumor going round that AA would soon be returning to normal Y beverage service. Being stuck in MCE with a free drink (assuming alcohol returns to Y) and a free snack/food item (assuming BOB returns to Y) takes the sting out of not upgraded. Of course I think my alternative should be just buy F, particularly given some of the upfare deals presented.
Yeah, I just felt this sting. My flight to DFW was delayed due to fog and I had a tight connection from DFW. On the ground in my originating airport, I was rescheduled from my original flight (where I was upgraded to F seat) to the next flight in an Oasis'd Y seat (not even MCE was available on that one), but then all of a sudden we were shuffled and told to board. We made it to DFW in time for the original flight (they were boarding group 5 when I walked up), and got the gate agent for that flight to get me seated back in my original flight, but of course my F seat was given to someone else. So, I spent a 4 hour flight in row 8, watching F get food and drink service while all I got was a tiny bottle of water and cookies. No option to even buy food! Blame myself for agreeing to getting rebooked I guess.

Anyways, all around, these are good moves. Especially the ability to count a couple flights over the next few months!
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I am double glad that I purchased a J fare on AA to Brazil next month now!
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
shame for me and my wife.. our next 2 trips outside of the USA are all award flights....buying them outright would result in a very expense ticket ($9,000)
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Two trips booked in November and then December. Between that and the CC card 10,000K EQM bump, I might have a fighting chance of PPRO again.
ranran likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
BTW, did anyone notice this one - which I think is -huge-

For 2021, we’ll waive the EQD requirement to qualify for Gold, Platinum or Platinum Pro status if you spend $30,000 on net purchases with an eligible AAdvantage® credit card that post to your account between January 1 – December 31, 2021. More details to come.

So for average to big credit card spenders, this is a very big deal. For EPs, spend as always.
lsquare and LovePrunes like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Still 4 SWU's.

Are you sure on the SWU? I took it as no more SWU and can choose them at the Elite reward choices??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.