Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Elite for 2021 - Adjusted qualifying requirements and more announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Aadvantage elite earning requirements have been adjusted for 2021, and other changes have been made.
  • AAdvantage® members will get a head start on earning elite status for 2021 with an extra three months to earn towards elite qualification.
  • Members who use AAdvantage credit cards have an additional path to status.
  • Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum members rewarded for their loyalty with a new rewards menu.
  • Elite members now enjoy benefits when traveling on a Basic Economy fare.
  • AAdvantage members can view complete program details on aa.com/programupdates.

AAdvantage 2021

AAdvantage members can start earning elite status in 2021 right now. American will count all elite qualifying flight activity flown in the fourth quarter of 2020 toward a member’s 2021 qualifications.

AAdvantage 2021 tier requirements

Gold $2,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD), 20 EQ Segments (EQS) or 20,000 EQ Miles (EQM)
Platinum $4,500 EQD, 45 EQS or 40,000 EQM
Platinum Pro $7,000 EQD, 70 EQS or 60,000 EQM
Executive Platinum $12,000 EQD, 95 EQS or 80,000 EQM

Elite status achieved in 2021 is valid through Jan. 31, 2023.

For 2021, American will also waive the elite qualifying dollar requirement for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro if members spend $30,000 on purchases with their eligible AAdvantage credit cards. This gives members another way to achieve their elite status goal.

Rewarding our most loyal members

American thanks our elite members for their continued loyalty by making status even more rewarding in 2021. Awaiting Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum members is a curated menu of rewards, including items such as systemwide upgrades, Admirals Club day passes, bonus AAdvantage miles and more. This choice of rewards gives members achieving status in 2021 the flexibility to select the reward they value the most. More details will be coming soon.

Caring for elite status into 2021

As a reminder, in April, AAdvantage Gold, Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum elite members at that time had their status automatically extended to Jan. 31, 2022, given the reduced travel this year due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Elite benefits now available on Basic Economy fares

Since Oct. 1, elite members enjoy benefits such as priority access, upgrades privileges, access to Preferred and Main Cabin Extra Seats and same-day confirmed flight changes during their journey on Basic Economy fares.

To upgrade, elite members can use their 500-mile upgrade certificates, systemwide upgrade certificates or mileage award upgrades just as they do today with a Main Cabin fare.

Print Wikipost

AA Elite for 2021 - Adjusted qualifying requirements and more announced

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2020, 11:14 am

delete
Old Oct 19, 2020, 11:16 am

All base EQMs, EQSs, and EQDs earned based on flights taken from October 1 – December 31, 2020, will also count toward your 2021 requirements. We’ll automatically roll them over after January 1, 2021. Keep in mind, bonus elite qualifying credits, such as those earned from an AAdvantage® credit card, will not roll over.

looks like they will not count
Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Simple question for those who know.
If I have an AA Executive card with AUs, does the spend from the AUs go into my overall spend? IOWs, if I (the actual holder) spend a $1000 and my wife, the AU also spends $1000 on her card, does the total EQD = $2000 or only $1000?

Could not find the answer at Citi or AA.
TIA
Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by radonc1
Simple question for those who know.
If I have an AA Executive card with AUs, does the spend from the AUs go into my overall spend? IOWs, if I (the actual holder) spend a $1000 and my wife, the AU also spends $1000 on her card, does the total EQD = $2000 or only $1000?

Could not find the answer at Citi or AA.
TIA
If you are buying AA tix, the EQDs will go the owner of the butt in the seat. You do not receive 1 EQD per dollar spent on general spending of an AA card. If you are looking at the spending required for the EQD waiver, I would expect that all spending on the account, both by Primary an AU, will count toward the $30,000 target at which point the EQD requirement is waived and waived only for the Primary cardholder.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:43 am

Underwhelmed

The AA offer to rollover EQM and EQDs from Oct - Dec 2020 is underwhelming. Despite an increase in domestic travel, there are still major restrictions on welcoming destinations which are likely to continue well into 2021. International travel for US citizens is banned to Europe, Asia, Australia,.... and even Canada indefinitely. So AA's plan to rollover 4th quarter EQM and EQD in lieu of rolling over pre-pandemic qualifying credit (as Delta is doing) leaves me feeling betrayed. I realize AA is lowering the threshold in 2021 for 2022 qualification, but they will still zero out all my pre-pandemic 2020 EQM and EQD on New Year's Eve. If AA wants to retain loyalty, they need to consider 2020 and 2021 as one combined year with qualifying credits from Jan 1 2020 through Dec 31 2021 counting towards 2022 status.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by RideThe22A
International travel for US citizens is banned to Europe
No.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by RideThe22A
The AA offer to rollover EQM and EQDs from Oct - Dec 2020 is underwhelming. Despite an increase in domestic travel, there are still major restrictions on welcoming destinations which are likely to continue well into 2021. International travel for US citizens is banned to Europe, Asia, Australia,.... and even Canada indefinitely. So AA's plan to rollover 4th quarter EQM and EQD in lieu of rolling over pre-pandemic qualifying credit (as Delta is doing) leaves me feeling betrayed. I realize AA is lowering the threshold in 2021 for 2022 qualification, but they will still zero out all my pre-pandemic 2020 EQM and EQD on New Year's Eve. If AA wants to retain loyalty, they need to consider 2020 and 2021 as one combined year with qualifying credits from Jan 1 2020 through Dec 31 2021 counting towards 2022 status.
AA is counting flights from October 1 through December 31 as well as reducing requirements. Really, I think AA has stepped up to the plate. Other than maybe NYC the domestic "restrictions" are a joke. They amount to people walking against the pedestrian Don't Walk light in NYC. Yes I understand that if one was earning status through International business travel that 's gone but how is that AA's fault? Not everyone can substitute personal travel for business travel for a host of reasons. But AA isn't a charity. No different from a person that takes a job or is forced into a job with no travel. Things change in our life and often with negative side effects.
GunsOfNavarone and apeortdz like this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 5:43 am

AA is my secondary carrier, so I know less about it's elite program. I am only a Plat. I have several questions which diligence has not provided enlightenment

If I obtain an elite level by 12/31/20 (say I make it to Gold) but am already a Plat, how do I benefit since my Plat status is assured until 12/22 (or later)?

If I obtain my new Gold status by a combination of segments, EQDs and EQMs, how does my obtaining 10K of those EQMs through AA credit card spending impact my roll-over. In other words, say I flew 15K BIS miles and obtained 10K EQMs through the credit card (thereby making it to Gold, EQDs not an issue), what would exactly get rolled over? .....my Gold status? (which in my limited understanding is worthless since I will already be a Plat for year 2022).
According to the T&C's all that would roll over would be my BIS miles and my AA spend (not CC spend) for EQDs.

If I obtain Gold status, this will remain in effect for how many additional years....till 1/24? If that answer is no...only until 1/23, then that is when my current Plat status would expire. I see no benefit here.

So, if I have this correctly parsed out, if I already have a higher status, earning a lower status is basically worthless unless I am not going to reach my current Plat status in 2022. Furthermore, will AA allow me to keep my 2022 Gold status earned this year if part of it was earned by CC EQMs?

And if I read this correctly, even if I have earned Gold (while still being a Plat ), I will be a "shortchanged" Gold since 10K EQM will disappear since they are CC EQMs which do not roll over.

It shouldn't take this much work to figure out an awards program
Old Oct 23, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by radonc1
AA is my secondary carrier, so I know less about it's elite program. I am only a Plat. I have several questions which diligence has not provided enlightenment

If I obtain an elite level by 12/31/20 (say I make it to Gold) but am already a Plat, how do I benefit since my Plat status is assured until 12/22 (or later)?

If I obtain my new Gold status by a combination of segments, EQDs and EQMs, how does my obtaining 10K of those EQMs through AA credit card spending impact my roll-over. In other words, say I flew 15K BIS miles and obtained 10K EQMs through the credit card (thereby making it to Gold, EQDs not an issue), what would exactly get rolled over? .....my Gold status? (which in my limited understanding is worthless since I will already be a Plat for year 2022).
According to the T&C's all that would roll over would be my BIS miles and my AA spend (not CC spend) for EQDs.

If I obtain Gold status, this will remain in effect for how many additional years....till 1/24? If that answer is no...only until 1/23, then that is when my current Plat status would expire. I see no benefit here.

So, if I have this correctly parsed out, if I already have a higher status, earning a lower status is basically worthless unless I am not going to reach my current Plat status in 2022. Furthermore, will AA allow me to keep my 2022 Gold status earned this year if part of it was earned by CC EQMs?

And if I read this correctly, even if I have earned Gold (while still being a Plat ), I will be a "shortchanged" Gold since 10K EQM will disappear since they are CC EQMs which do not roll over.

It shouldn't take this much work to figure out an awards program
If you earned Plat in 2019, you are Plat through 1/31/2022. No benefit to Gold earned in 2020.

What would carry over to 2021 elite qualification are any BIS EQD, EQM, and EQS for flights in 4Q20, not any EQD or EQM earned from CC spend in 4Q20.

AA wants people flying now. Incenting people to do so through rollover of 4Q20 flying activity seems a very reasonable effort on their part. Will it incent and benefit everyone? Certainly not.

I am surprised AA isn't highlighting their reduced 2020 qualifying thresholds to encourage people to fly now and try and hit a higher elite level this year.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by ramcm7
If you earned Plat in 2019, you are Plat through 1/31/2022. No benefit to Gold earned in 2020.

What would carry over to 2021 elite qualification are any BIS EQD, EQM, and EQS for flights in 4Q20, not any EQD or EQM earned from CC spend in 4Q20.

AA wants people flying now. Incenting people to do so through rollover of 4Q20 flying activity seems a very reasonable effort on their part. Will it incent and benefit everyone? Certainly not.

I am surprised AA isn't highlighting their reduced 2020 qualifying thresholds to encourage people to fly now and try and hit a higher elite level this year.
Thanks

As I see it, the only use for my 2020 CC EQMs would be to obtain a higher level of status before 12/31/20. In my case, that would be PP. That is not going to happen. I am more than happy at the Plat level for AA.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jcatman
Read the email and immediately pulled out my Aviator Business Card for October thru December 2020 spending in order to earn the 3,000 EQD before end of the year.

Then read the fine print "bonus elite qualifying credits, such as those earned from an AAdvantage® credit card, will not roll over."

Aviator Business Card back in the file cabinet until January 2021.
I've not read anything that indicates EQDs and/or EQMs earned October to Dec 2020 on credit card spend "rolling over" towards 2021 earning for 2022 status. Do those EQMs and/or EQDs roll over? And I realize that EQMs earned rollover for flights taken but I assume EQDs do not then? Wasn't in the email I received.

I've run out of credit cards for spending that provide lucrative points and even have opened up a few accounts for the bonuses. So, I'm thinking why not use my silver aviator for the EQMs/EQDs and have count towards million miler too. Could even use my Excecutive card for another 10K EQMs.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
The reduced spending limits are great, and I will make Plat this year when I wpuld have only made gold in a normal year. With tickets so cheap, I will end up with enough EQM for ExPlat but only enough EQD for Plat. This is even with a couple of trips in paid F.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
The reduced spending limits are great, and I will make Plat this year when I wpuld have only made gold in a normal year. With tickets so cheap, I will end up with enough EQM for ExPlat but only enough EQD for Plat. This is even with a couple of trips in paid F.
This is why I'm going to Istanbul for lunch next month.
ExpatExp, thunderdeacon and ranran like this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Follow up to my above post, I decided to call AA about this. After 5-10 minutes she came back stating that yes, for Oct 1-end of year EQMs and EQDs earned from spending will roll over to 2021 for 2022 status. She also said the same about flying, that in addition to the EQMs the EQDs would also roll over. Not sure I trust what she is saying, though, since I've not seen that on here nor have found confirmation of that online.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
Follow up to my above post, I decided to call AA about this. After 5-10 minutes she came back stating that yes, for Oct 1-end of year EQMs and EQDs earned from spending will roll over to 2021 for 2022 status. She also said the same about flying, that in addition to the EQMs the EQDs would also roll over. Not sure I trust what she is saying, though, since I've not seen that on here nor have found confirmation of that online.
You got poor information. It's quite explicit on aa.com

Giving you a head start on elite qualification for 2021

All base EQMs, EQSs, and EQDs earned based on flights taken from October 1 – December 31, 2020, will also count toward your 2021 requirements. We’ll automatically roll them over after January 1, 2021. Keep in mind, bonus elite qualifying credits, such as those earned from an AAdvantage® credit card, will not roll over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.