Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Elite for 2021 - Adjusted qualifying requirements and more announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Aadvantage elite earning requirements have been adjusted for 2021, and other changes have been made.
  • AAdvantage® members will get a head start on earning elite status for 2021 with an extra three months to earn towards elite qualification.
  • Members who use AAdvantage credit cards have an additional path to status.
  • Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum members rewarded for their loyalty with a new rewards menu.
  • Elite members now enjoy benefits when traveling on a Basic Economy fare.
  • AAdvantage members can view complete program details on aa.com/programupdates.

AAdvantage 2021

AAdvantage members can start earning elite status in 2021 right now. American will count all elite qualifying flight activity flown in the fourth quarter of 2020 toward a member’s 2021 qualifications.

AAdvantage 2021 tier requirements

Gold $2,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD), 20 EQ Segments (EQS) or 20,000 EQ Miles (EQM)
Platinum $4,500 EQD, 45 EQS or 40,000 EQM
Platinum Pro $7,000 EQD, 70 EQS or 60,000 EQM
Executive Platinum $12,000 EQD, 95 EQS or 80,000 EQM

Elite status achieved in 2021 is valid through Jan. 31, 2023.

For 2021, American will also waive the elite qualifying dollar requirement for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro if members spend $30,000 on purchases with their eligible AAdvantage credit cards. This gives members another way to achieve their elite status goal.

Rewarding our most loyal members

American thanks our elite members for their continued loyalty by making status even more rewarding in 2021. Awaiting Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum members is a curated menu of rewards, including items such as systemwide upgrades, Admirals Club day passes, bonus AAdvantage miles and more. This choice of rewards gives members achieving status in 2021 the flexibility to select the reward they value the most. More details will be coming soon.

Caring for elite status into 2021

As a reminder, in April, AAdvantage Gold, Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum elite members at that time had their status automatically extended to Jan. 31, 2022, given the reduced travel this year due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Elite benefits now available on Basic Economy fares

Since Oct. 1, elite members enjoy benefits such as priority access, upgrades privileges, access to Preferred and Main Cabin Extra Seats and same-day confirmed flight changes during their journey on Basic Economy fares.

To upgrade, elite members can use their 500-mile upgrade certificates, systemwide upgrade certificates or mileage award upgrades just as they do today with a Main Cabin fare.

Print Wikipost

AA Elite for 2021 - Adjusted qualifying requirements and more announced

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Per AA website:

American Airlines may, in its discretion, change the AAdvantage® program rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers at any time with or without notice.

AA can change the qualification criteria for any level of elite status in the AAdvantage Program.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
It’s a nice gesture for sure. I’ve got three trips between now and end of the year so I’ll pick up about 25,000 EQMs right off the bat. A lot of 2021 Intl travel will depend on country travel policies. Was hoping to go to Japan, but they are closed until April????. Was hoping to go to IST and that’s looking ok. But nobody knows and I know I won’t be one of the first people to get inoculated with the vaccine whenever that happens. I’ll bet another AA pivot is coming in 21 if the world is still a hot mess.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Question that seemed unanswered to me from the email that I got will BE fares in 2021 now count towards status.
No, it is only about elite benefits on BE, not status earning. See the earning table "For travel on or after January 1, 2021" -- zilch for BE.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Will flights on partner metal that you choose to credit with Aadvantage count towards this (specifically the 3-month head-start)? There are some sweet spots for AS, especially if one is willing to take a less direct route, given AS's mileage-based status earning.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ajf87
Will flights on partner metal that you choose to credit with Aadvantage count towards this (specifically the 3-month head-start)? There are some sweet spots for AS, especially if one is willing to take a less direct route, given AS's mileage-based status earning.
As per AA:
"All base EQMs, EQSs, and EQDs earned based on flights taken from October 1 – December 31, 2020, will also count toward your 2021 requirements. We’ll automatically roll them over after January 1, 2021."

There is no asterisk or footnote indicating that it must be on AA metal only but not sure if AA is intentionally being vague about this
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by dls25
That threw me off as well but after I thought about it, that is correct.

Earn status in 2021
It is good for 2022
Expires Jan 2023
I doubt that! I can earned more miles again for next year. I hope. We shall see!
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by ajf87
correct me if I'm wrong but if you fly AS and credit to AA aren't you're just going to get AA adjusted fare-based AA points? Not the distance-based AS credit.

I thought you would only get distance-based credit if you credit your AS flights to the AS program?
Old Oct 18, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
correct me if I'm wrong but if you fly AS and credit to AA aren't you're just going to get AA adjusted fare-based AA points? Not the distance-based AS credit.

I thought you would only get distance-based credit if you credit your AS flights to the AS program?
Nope, it is a formula chart based on distance, much like AA special fares or other partner airline programs: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LovePrunes

Originally Posted by HiAperture
Nope, it is a formula chart based on distance, much like AA special fares or other partner airline programs: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp
First class nets you 30 or 35% of miles flown in EQD and 1.5x EQM. Certain routings can effectively net you double EQD if you don't mind connections.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
That status rollover is nice and almost makes me want to book a big MR before end of year. I'm currently sitting at $4600 EQD / 50,000 EQM but haven't flown since March.

So if I booked one big trip to get 4400 EQD and 40,000 EQM... then I could get 4 sys-wide upgrades, 40,000 redeemable points (bonus threshold), and then also have a big head start for next year.

Problem now is finding a destination / MR deal since most long-haul destinations are restricted.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by fly747first
As per AA:
"All base EQMs, EQSs, and EQDs earned based on flights taken from October 1 – December 31, 2020, will also count toward your 2021 requirements. We’ll automatically roll them over after January 1, 2021."

There is no asterisk or footnote indicating that it must be on AA metal only but not sure if AA is intentionally being vague about this
There’s nothing to suggest that partner flights don’t count, so that’s clear enough for me. I wouldn’t expect AA to emphasize this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by eltoddo22
That status rollover is nice and almost makes me want to book a big MR before end of year. I'm currently sitting at $4600 EQD / 50,000 EQM but haven't flown since March.

So if I booked one big trip to get 4400 EQD and 40,000 EQM... then I could get 4 sys-wide upgrades, 40,000 redeemable points (bonus threshold), and then also have a big head start for next year.

Problem now is finding a destination / MR deal since most long-haul destinations are restricted.
to IST on BA is fairly cheap...but then you fly BA
Old Oct 18, 2020, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
No extension on expiring miles, apparently. I just got a 90-day notice in email.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:16 am

double dip

AA is letting us start our 2021 qualification in Q4 2020

if we hit the Citi spend requirement or Barclays spend requirement in q4 and get 10K EQM and 3K EQD in Q4 2020 and then hit the spend in Q1 2021 on both cards, can we essentially get 20K EQM and 6K EQD towards the 2021 qualification period
Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by azmmza
AA is letting us start our 2021 qualification in Q4 2020

if we hit the Citi spend requirement or Barclays spend requirement in q4 and get 10K EQM and 3K EQD in Q4 2020 and then hit the spend in Q1 2021 on both cards, can we essentially get 20K EQM and 6K EQD towards the 2021 qualification period
The 4Q20 card EQD and EQM don't carry over for 2021 qualification, only 4Q20 butt-in-seat EQD and EQM carries over. The card part starts 1/1/21. EQD earned in 4Q20 via card I believe will count in your running 12-month EQD total when jockeying for the upgrade list.

Last edited by ramcm7; Oct 19, 2020 at 12:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.