Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Elite for 2021 - Adjusted qualifying requirements and more announced

Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Aadvantage elite earning requirements have been adjusted for 2021, and other changes have been made.
  • AAdvantage® members will get a head start on earning elite status for 2021 with an extra three months to earn towards elite qualification.
  • Members who use AAdvantage credit cards have an additional path to status.
  • Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum members rewarded for their loyalty with a new rewards menu.
  • Elite members now enjoy benefits when traveling on a Basic Economy fare.
  • AAdvantage members can view complete program details on aa.com/programupdates.

AAdvantage 2021

AAdvantage members can start earning elite status in 2021 right now. American will count all elite qualifying flight activity flown in the fourth quarter of 2020 toward a member’s 2021 qualifications.

AAdvantage 2021 tier requirements

Gold $2,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD), 20 EQ Segments (EQS) or 20,000 EQ Miles (EQM)
Platinum $4,500 EQD, 45 EQS or 40,000 EQM
Platinum Pro $7,000 EQD, 70 EQS or 60,000 EQM
Executive Platinum $12,000 EQD, 95 EQS or 80,000 EQM

Elite status achieved in 2021 is valid through Jan. 31, 2023.

For 2021, American will also waive the elite qualifying dollar requirement for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro if members spend $30,000 on purchases with their eligible AAdvantage credit cards. This gives members another way to achieve their elite status goal.

Rewarding our most loyal members

American thanks our elite members for their continued loyalty by making status even more rewarding in 2021. Awaiting Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum members is a curated menu of rewards, including items such as systemwide upgrades, Admirals Club day passes, bonus AAdvantage miles and more. This choice of rewards gives members achieving status in 2021 the flexibility to select the reward they value the most. More details will be coming soon.

Caring for elite status into 2021

As a reminder, in April, AAdvantage Gold, Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum elite members at that time had their status automatically extended to Jan. 31, 2022, given the reduced travel this year due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Elite benefits now available on Basic Economy fares

Since Oct. 1, elite members enjoy benefits such as priority access, upgrades privileges, access to Preferred and Main Cabin Extra Seats and same-day confirmed flight changes during their journey on Basic Economy fares.

To upgrade, elite members can use their 500-mile upgrade certificates, systemwide upgrade certificates or mileage award upgrades just as they do today with a Main Cabin fare.

Print Wikipost

AA Elite for 2021 - Adjusted qualifying requirements and more announced

Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:28 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
BTW, did anyone notice this one - which I think is -huge-

For 2021, we’ll waive the EQD requirement to qualify for Gold, Platinum or Platinum Pro status if you spend $30,000 on net purchases with an eligible AAdvantage® credit card that post to your account between January 1 – December 31, 2021. More details to come.

So for average to big credit card spenders, this is a very big deal. For EPs, spend as always.
I can easily spend $30k on my Exec card.

But I was hoping to keep my EXP status even though I won’t be flying much next year.

I just hope my 5 SWUs that expire July 2021 are extended. I will be pretty upset if international travel is still shut down and I lose them.
rabbott and MasterPlanner like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Been away from the board for a while since travel stopped in March. Had my first two trips back in September so this seems like a good thread to get back into the FT game.

Overall, pretty nice updates. As mentioned, my only negative here is the $30k spend not waiving EQD for EXP. With international trips up in the air for me next year this could be a challenge. It would have been great to spend the $30k get the EQD waived and then spend another $10k to get to $40k and the extra 10,000 EQMs. This would have made requalification only 70k EQMs for me. I spend that every year anyways. Either way, Platinum Pro should be a shoe in for me.

The biggest thing for me is the Oct-Dec rollover. I have at least 1 trip scheduled in November with the potential for 1-2 more this year. My company also recently is allowing us to book F if travelling to avoid being crammed in the back. I'm not complaining but that will help the EQD/EQM game.

Will be interesting to see the a la cart rewards options too. I like that! As much as the pandemic has been awful, it is nice to at least see some nice changes to these programs.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:36 am

Did anyone else notice that status earned in 2021 will be valid until January 31 2023!? Is that typo in AA statement ?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:38 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by gateH15
Did anyone else notice that status earned in 2021 will be valid until January 31 2023!? Is that typo in AA statement ?
No, that's usually how it works. If you qualify based on flying done in a year (2021), you get status for all of the remainder of that year (2021) and all of the next year (2022) through January 31 of the following year (2023).
ronp101 and JY1024 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by VFR
No, that's usually how it works. If you qualify based on flying done in a year (2021), you get status for all of the remainder of that year (2021) and all of the next year (2022) through January 31 of the following year (2023).
oh you are right! Haven’t had my coffee yet! Still great offer tho
jhalapin and Spanish like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
That threw me off as well but after I thought about it, that is correct.

Earn status in 2021
It is good for 2022
Expires Jan 2023
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by dls25
That threw me off as well but after I thought about it, that is correct.

Earn status in 2021
It is good for 2022
Expires Jan 2023
to be honest this is prob the best email from AAdvantage in the last 5 years! Mileage runs are back on the table
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
to be honest this is prob the best email from AAdvantage in the last 5 years! Mileage runs are back on the table
For someone looking to secure gold, platinum or PP and spends $30K on a card--absolutely yes.

For those that don't, absolutely not.
ronp101 and bchandler02 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
For someone looking to secure gold, platinum or PP and spends $30K on a card--absolutely yes.

For those that don't, absolutely not.
EXP qualification is 12k EQD and 80K EQMs is still pretty good isn’t it ?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
For me the lack of an EQD makes the credit card game calculus interesting. When there was no EQD requirement, I typically spent like mad on the Citi card and then went to the Barclay card to max it out. When the EQD requirements were instituted and the only eligible card for the EQD bonus was the Barclay card, I would spend on the Barclay card exclusively and then switch to the Citi Exec card.

With NO EQD requirement, I'll likely reverse this and spend on the Citi Exec card before switching to the Barclay card.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
The EQD waiver might actually get me to consider taking out an AA credit card. I don't do a lot of flying in J/F, but—at least in the ordinary course of business—do quite a lot of domestic flights and LAX to LHR and back two or three times a year. I'm within touching distance of PP this year as far as mileage goes but will probably be about $1,500 short on EQD. I only have a nonimmigrant visa, however, so I'm going to need some relaxation of UK-to-US travel restrictions if I'm going to be able to get the benefits of the LAX–LHR route next year.

The ability to use October–December's flights towards next year's totals is very welcome. I've already flown ORD to LAX since October 1, and have LAX–JFK return coming up, and will likely have at least one more return trip from LAX to ORD before the year ends. Again, it won't do a lot for the EQD counter but it's a nice jump start on the EQM front.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

EXP qualification is 12k EQD and 80K EQMs is still pretty good isn’t it ?
It in itself isn't. Why? Most people will not start business travel until probably next summer is my best guess. However, combined with rollover Q4 2020 EQD's and EQM's it is.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
For me the lack of an EQD makes the credit card game calculus interesting. When there was no EQD requirement, I typically spent like mad on the Citi card and then went to the Barclay card to max it out. When the EQD requirements were instituted and the only eligible card for the EQD bonus was the Barclay card, I would spend on the Barclay card exclusively and then switch to the Citi Exec card.

With NO EQD requirement, I'll likely reverse this and spend on the Citi Exec card before switching to the Barclay card.
i closed my Citi card about 4 years ago and switched to Barclays because of extra EQDs. Now I’m thinking to abandon Barclays and open Citi card again. Customer service is so much better at Citi.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They need to throw an EXP waiver out there.

More so they need to throw a bone to their Citi Executive card holders.
anaggie, lsquare, WiscAZ and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
I thought there was zero chance I would get EXP next year, at least now I have a shot depending on when international travel opens back up. The rollovers from this year will help. Planning on 3 (possibly 4) personal flights between now and the end of the year which will help some. Worst case, I will hit Plat Pro

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.