Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

WN Announces Newest Cities: ORD and IAH: AA Response?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum

WN has announced they will begin service out of ORD and IAH. Shots fired!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/sout...d-chicago.html

Curious to see if either AA or UA retaliate with flights out of MDW, HOU, DAL or other WN fortresses or any other way...if they even retaliate at all.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
This is more a UA question.

​​​​
Old Oct 12, 2020, 2:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Relevant thread over in the WN forum:
Southwest is claiming IAH and ORD service in 2021
Old Oct 12, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
WN has announced they will begin service out of ORD and IAH. Shots fired!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/sout...d-chicago.html

Curious to see if either AA or UA retaliate with flights out of MDW, HOU, DAL or other WN fortresses or any other way...if they even retaliate at all.
AA already has a 772/77W (depending on the day) for the next two months MIA ORD so maybe they will get more aggressive and add more capacity to fight WN
Old Oct 12, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
There are only 21 gates in Terminal 5. Sky Team will get at least 8 of those with Delta moving from Terminal 2. I would think that they would get two gates full time and split a third with a foreign carrier.

At Midway, there isn't any space. AA fought against them years ago when they were contesting DAL and the Wright Amendment, but that was before the current MDW terminal. United didn't bother even then.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Antarius
This is more a UA question.​​​​
Indeed. Though the speculation on the UA board will be no more informed than the speculation on this one.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
Indeed. Though the speculation on the UA board will be no more informed than the speculation on this one.
Welcome to FT!
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
Although the people speculating will (almost always) insist their opinion is not speculation but fact.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EP
Wouldn’t the more pertinent topic for the AA forum be WN starting CLT-PHX and CLT-DEN? Competing with both UA and AA for DEN....I guess WN sees an opportunity...or smells blood? Will be interesting to see the frequencies....
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:07 pm

IAH is not really a new airport for WN. They flew the DAL-IAH route for decades. I believe they ended it around 2005.
PurdueFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
IAH is not really a new airport for WN. They flew the DAL-IAH route for decades. I believe they ended it around 2005.
Yes, they did. They pulling out of IAH completely. They left IAH in 2005. They tried IAH in the past and it did not work. This is third time. They came back IAH again. I believe they will be at terminal A.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by N830MH
I believe they will be at terminal A.
Terminal A being the sad Island of Misfit Toys at IAH, where the Air Afterthoughts pitch camp. Around 9/11 I spent many depressing hours in there awaiting late America West flights.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Antarius
This is more a UA question.​​​​
Really? Last time I checked AA still had a hub at ORD. Any move WN makes there will have an impact on AA and UA. Between ORD, MIA and CLT, WN is on the offensive with AA just as much as they are with UA.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Really? Last time I checked AA still had a hub at ORD. Any move WN makes there will have an impact on AA and UA. Between ORD, MIA and CLT, WN is on the offensive with AA just as much as they are with UA.
IAH is meaningless to AA and UA is the dominant player at ORD now. So there definitely is some impact to AA, but by listing IAH and ORD, to me that's more for UA than anyone else. If it was DFW and ORD, different story.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
ORD-DAL would cause AA some annoyance... They aren't going to fly ORD-IAH nonstop, but WN can cause a little havoc by adding frequencies to high value mainline coach routes. Does AA really want to see a weekday 0630 ORD-DAL-AUS with a DTW-ORD-DAL right behind it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.