Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

High fees of MileSAAver / SAAver main cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2020, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold

On several random checks of SEA-ATH I noticed $300+ fees on saver main cabin, but $66+ on Prem Econ and Business on AA metal

Why the higher Main fees?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 5:42 pm

Must be another AA bug.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't think 62K is actually a saver award. You searched for a roundtrip award ticket and being show roundtrip pricing, but are only being shown the outbound flight option. Complete the outbound flight selection and then see what return flights are being offered. The 62K roundtrip option almost certainly involves BA metal on the return and is getting a carrier-imposed surcharge tacked on, while the PE/J return options likely do not involve BA metal and thus no surcharge
JDiver, ijgordon, dls25 and 8 others like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 10, 2020 at 8:53 pm
Old Oct 12, 2020, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rkh29
On several random checks of SEA-ATH I noticed $300+ fees on saver main cabin, but $66+ on Prem Econ and Business on AA metal

Why the higher Main fees?
What does it show for the one way fees or what does the return trip look like?
As someone has indicated, it is showing the roundtrip cost, and makes sense if the only return for Economy is via BA
Old Oct 15, 2020, 10:05 am

I'm looking at award flights from NYC to MXP, FCO or CDG in business for August 2021.. All are showing fees of $800 to $900 on AA metal Fees on United are $50.

Since when is AA the new BA?
Old Oct 15, 2020, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Schutzee
I'm looking at award flights from NYC to MXP, FCO or CDG in business for August 2021.. All are showing fees of $800 to $900 on AA metal Fees on United are $50.

Since when is AA the new BA?
Since you're obviously looking at something wrong.

I just did dummy bookings for AA metal roundtrips JFK-MXP/FCO/CDG in Aug. 21 and the taxes and fees range from $54 (MXP) to $154 (CDG). Right in line with where they've always been.

Take a look at post #3 in this thread just above which most likely explains what you're seeing.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 10:16 am

Thanks for the help. Before choosing the return flight the fees were $800 +-. Once the return was selected the fees dropped to $55 I was able to book business JFK-MXP in September for 133,000 miles each. Both United and Delta were over 200,000.

I just hope i get to take the trip. In 2018 I had to cancel as my Mom passed away a few days before departure. In 2019 I had to cancel as my father in law passed. In 2020 Covid forced cancellation. Keeping my fingers crossed for 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.