Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Microsoft TEAMS call in flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2020, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
You never exceed the speed limit either, do you. Because that would be illegal, and the laws are clear.
Actually, there are plenty of individuals that follow all the traffic laws. Just look around at all the people you're passing next time you're speeding. Those are the people that (probably) are following the speed limit.

And in case you're wondering, not everyone cheats on their taxes, either.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Croupier
​​​​​​
Right on bro. I remember flying on TG from BKK-BNE about 8 years ago l, swiping my credit card through the IFE remote and talking away.

Man people have become so precious. May as well just ban talking while inflight?

Do people that think talking on a phone inflight is a no no ok with a business meeting for 4 in Qsuites?
This... I find the pettiness around this hilarious. It wasn't that long ago that the airfones were at every row, though rarely used because fairly expensive. Equally ridiculous, I live in Japan and you're not allowed to talk on the phone inside the commuter trains here though it's perfectly fine to talk to your friends, even drunkenly late at night, loud and stumbling around.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
What on earth does the OP's wife's opinion have to do with this?
OP is (as per post 20) travelling with his wife. She may prefer to be talking to her husband than him to be calling his office.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
OP is (as per post 20) travelling with his wife. She may prefer to be talking to her husband than him to be calling his office.
In the context of a trip together, I can't imagine a spouse caring if one takes a business call. If so, sounds like reason for a new spouse!
Old Oct 11, 2020, 9:48 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by gateH15
ive joined zoom calls many times, always in listen only mode and FAs were able to see my screen that I’m watching something on my laptops screen. No one ever said anything, but I also would never try to talk. Always type response in the chat if needed. I know that calls are not allowed in flight but I don’t see how watching abs listening to a zoom meeting is different from streaming Netflix.
With JAL wifi (domestic service), where you really aren't allowed to disturb other passengers,
Half the time you're allowed streaming, half the time you aren't...
Old Oct 11, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by dvs7310
This... I find the pettiness around this hilarious. It wasn't that long ago that the airfones were at every row, though rarely used because fairly expensive. Equally ridiculous, I live in Japan and you're not allowed to talk on the phone inside the commuter trains here though it's perfectly fine to talk to your friends, even drunkenly late at night, loud and stumbling around.
People that ride the train late at night and had some drinks are having fun and the alcohol impairs their judgement. If you are riding the train late at night, that behavior is kind of expected and probably nobody would care if you get on your phone next to the tipsy riders.
I can probably assure you that those tipsy riders will be ultra respectful on the 7am train when everybody is going to work.

On the other hand, if your judgement is not impaired by alcohol and you are aware of your actions, it is common courtesy not to disturb others in a metal tube packed like sardines. As the plain is loud, it is impossible to have a phone conversation without raising your voice to annoying levels.
enviroian and 757FO like this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Really - it is expected to have drunk loud annoying people on a train and it is ok because they are unable/unwilling to control their alcohol consumption? Are people not responsible for their own actions?

loud oobnoxious drunks are more annoying than people on telephones

Outside US, there are plenty of flights I have been on where mobile phone use is permitted in flight and has been completely no issue

Biggest issue of inflight internet would seem to be performance and port blocking
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Really - it is expected to have drunk loud annoying people on a train and it is ok because they are unable/unwilling to control their alcohol consumption? Are people not responsible for their own actions?

loud oobnoxious drunks are more annoying than people on telephones

Outside US, there are plenty of flights I have been on where mobile phone use is permitted in flight and has been completely no issue

Biggest issue of inflight internet would seem to be performance and port blocking
Personally, I've never encountered a loud/obnoxious drunk individual on an aircraft in all my years of flying. In contrast, I have regularly encounter loud/obnoxious individuals yammering into the cell phone before pushback which presumably would have continued if permitted once airborne.

Honestly, if the OP wanted to only listen in and offer feedback through text chat, I'd have no problem with that. But we don't need a world where the F cabin is full of people on meetings trying to talk louder than the person next to them.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Really - it is expected to have drunk loud annoying people on a train and it is ok because they are unable/unwilling to control their alcohol consumption?
late at night on the weekends , yes, which is the scenario discussed.
Late at night, in most cities of the world, there are people that have had a few drinks and are loud.
I did not say stumbling around or to the point of blacking out, that's not ok.
I see a lot of people on their way or coming back from having fun on a weekend night in the metros (mass public transportation) of Berlin, Amsterdam, etc . They are not intentionally planning to bother other people.
I don't think anybody is making a generalized statement that getting drunk and boarding metros is ok

Again, it is a matter of courtesy and etiquette.

You want to have a loud conversation on your next 7am flight to DFW and annoy the whole cabin? Fine, go ahead if you can and you want. "It is a free country". You are being "that guy", FYI and the rest of the annoyed pax are "insert your adjective of choice here (petty, ridiculous, etc). That's cool. It is all good .

​​​​​​
​​​

​​​​​​

​​
Old Oct 11, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Two-way voice conversations from the air to the ground are not permissible.
How about air to air?
Old Oct 11, 2020, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fatlasercat
How about air to air?
I’d guess the same applies but honestly not sure.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 9:32 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by 757FO
As a member of the crew (Captain) if you are able to do this, please don't. It will potentially create a huge issue with the passengers around you, and the cabin crew, which could end up with a diversion and/or police at the gate if you don't comply.

Plus, over the Caribbean, connectivity will be very poor. In some spots, there isn't even radar coverage, let alone decent wifi.
Can you explain more about what kind of issue it would create that would require police? That seems a little extreme.
Teams and Zoom use the G.711 codec for voice which is 64Kbps for the call. That isn't much at all and would hardly put a dent in overall capacity.

I do agree about wifi coverage though. Back in the days of gogo on a 737 to SJU, you had maybe 30 mins of connectivity before it cut out. I'd expect something similar here.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bchandler02
I do agree about wifi coverage though. Back in the days of gogo on a 737 to SJU, you had maybe 30 mins of connectivity before it cut out. I'd expect something similar here.
This really just depends on the aircraft.

The old ground based system won’t work well but an aircraft with a satellite based system should work fine.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca
late at night on the weekends , yes, which is the scenario discussed.
Late at night, in most cities of the world, there are people that have had a few drinks and are loud.
I did not say stumbling around or to the point of blacking out, that's not ok.
I see a lot of people on their way or coming back from having fun on a weekend night in the metros (mass public transportation) of Berlin, Amsterdam, etc . They are not intentionally planning to bother other people.
I don't think anybody is making a generalized statement that getting drunk and boarding metros is ok

Again, it is a matter of courtesy and etiquette.

You want to have a loud conversation on your next 7am flight to DFW and annoy the whole cabin? Fine, go ahead if you can and you want. "It is a free country". You are being "that guy", FYI and the rest of the annoyed pax are "insert your adjective of choice here (petty, ridiculous, etc). That's cool. It is all good .
​​​
​​
I would be annoyed by both types of people. It doesn't matter whether they are intentionally being loud or not, it is still annoying.

Originally Posted by 757FO
I think the issue would be 2-way conversation more than just watching. Having said that, I suspect you may be killing the bandwidth for others, as it is a shared service. My guess is that if the wi-fi slowed down considerably, one of the FA's would re-boot the system, to see if that fixes it, which may end up interrupting your session. Also, I may be wrong, but I don't believe you can use a streaming service in-flight?

My only concern as a captain is that the rules be respected and followed, and that my passengers and crew are safe. If someone is causing a disruption in the cabin, and won't stop, and it comes to my attention, you can bet there will be police waiting when we land.
If there are issues with bandwidth, this is something the network should be able to adjust, not by having a crew member guess which device is using the most bandwidth. Why would the police be waiting? Please tell me what crime you would be reporting, someone being on MS Teams against your orders? If AA decided they didn't want people to have MS Team meetings onboard AA could stop, assuming they are also going to be disallowing VPN, because unless you block VPN, there is no way to no which sites, etc, are being used.

Last edited by JY1024; Oct 12, 2020 at 9:27 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Can you explain more about what kind of issue it would create that would require police? That seems a little extreme.
Teams and Zoom use the G.711 codec for voice which is 64Kbps for the call. That isn't much at all and would hardly put a dent in overall capacity.

People get angry and tempers get frayed and it escalates.

Also it's not an issue about how much capacity a single call takes but what if every one starts to join zoom calls or live stream video etc,

And if it's just against the the rules to make such calls then how much or little bandwidth is used is neither here nor there.
cheltzel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.