Microsoft TEAMS call in flight?

Old Oct 10, 20, 8:32 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by geepmaley View Post
...I will be flying (in domestic F to St Thomas with my wife as seatmate in row 4 on a 319) ...
Surprised no one picked up on this. There is no row 4 in F on a 319...just rows 1 and 2.
wrp96 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Oct 10, 20, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by Croupier View Post
​​​​​​
Right on bro. I remember flying on TG from BKK-BNE about 8 years ago l, swiping my credit card through the IFE remote and talking away.

Man people have become so precious. May as well just ban talking while inflight?

Do people that think talking on a phone inflight is a no no ok with a business meeting for 4 in Qsuites?
Has nothing to do with people being precious. It's called common courtesy. There's enough people blabbing in lounges and airports as it is. I don't want to hear Mr. I need an Ego blabbing away on the phone when the plane is probably still the last place of relative solace.
Old Oct 10, 20, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Has nothing to do with people being precious. It's called common courtesy. There's enough people blabbing in lounges and airports as it is. I don't want to hear Mr. I need an Ego blabbing away on the phone when the plane is probably still the last place of relative solace.
Also, with the engine noise, the inability to lean in, the general issues we see with conf calls and internet lag, it is a guarantee that it will not be a normal conversation. It will end up with people yelling into the phone obnoxiously.

Hard pass.
Old Oct 10, 20, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by 757FO View Post
As a member of the crew (Captain) if you are able to do this, please don't. It will potentially create a huge issue with the passengers around you, and the cabin crew, which could end up with a diversion and/or police at the gate if you don't comply.

Plus, over the Caribbean, connectivity will be very poor. In some spots, there isn't even radar coverage, let alone decent wifi.
ive joined zoom calls many times, always in listen only mode and FAs were able to see my screen that Iím watching something on my laptops screen. No one ever said anything, but I also would never try to talk. Always type response in the chat if needed. I know that calls are not allowed in flight but I donít see how watching abs listening to a zoom meeting is different from streaming Netflix.
percysmith and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 10, 20, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA MM (like it matters!)
Originally Posted by wakesetter93 View Post
So we're just going to forget about the Airfone?
Airfone was EXPENSIVE. This made them something used only occasionally, for SHORT calls.

I used to use the Airfones on Southwest hops from DAL to AUS, going home for a weekend, to coordinate my parents picking me up at the airport. Once we were wheels-up and climbing, I'd call them to say "OK, we're up, I'll be there in about an hour." Worked great! We had it down to an art, the call cost me a few dollars every few weeks, not a huge worry.

VoIP or Skype or cellphone in flight is a different matter. Look at how people behaved when cellphones were voice-only.
Old Oct 10, 20, 12:20 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by gateH15 View Post
ive joined zoom calls many times, always in listen only mode and FAs were able to see my screen that Iím watching something on my laptops screen. No one ever said anything, but I also would never try to talk. Always type response in the chat if needed. I know that calls are not allowed in flight but I donít see how watching abs listening to a zoom meeting is different from streaming Netflix.
I think the issue would be 2-way conversation more than just watching. Having said that, I suspect you may be killing the bandwidth for others, as it is a shared service. My guess is that if the wi-fi slowed down considerably, one of the FA's would re-boot the system, to see if that fixes it, which may end up interrupting your session. Also, I may be wrong, but I don't believe you can use a streaming service in-flight?

My only concern as a captain is that the rules be respected and followed, and that my passengers and crew are safe. If someone is causing a disruption in the cabin, and won't stop, and it comes to my attention, you can bet there will be police waiting when we land.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 10, 20, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
When I fly over the Gulf to MIA wifi almost always cuts out during that time.
Old Oct 10, 20, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA: CK
It's fine. Use headphones and speak at a normal volume.
Old Oct 10, 20, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
I wonder if all those saying this is OK will have that view if someone else is doing it on a flight they are on. Somehow I don't think so.

I wonder what the OPs wife will say
Old Oct 10, 20, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
I wonder if all those saying this is OK will have that view if someone else is doing it on a flight they are on. Somehow I don't think so.

I wonder what the OPs wife will say
I've never done it, but I certainly would. My concern is more the background noise making hard for others to hear me, but for a call where I'm mostly listening, I'd certainly do it. What on earth does the OP's wife's opinion have to do with this?
Old Oct 10, 20, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Spirit, not.

The rules are clear. It is the 2-way voice capacity and the technology is irrelevant. Has nothing to do with whether one mutes.
You never exceed the speed limit either, do you. Because that would be illegal, and the laws are clear.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 10, 20, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
You never exceed the speed limit either, do you. Because that would be illegal, and the laws are clear.
Uh oh, it's a dose of common sense!
Old Oct 10, 20, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Most people in this thread say they don't have a problem with someone listening but have a problem with talking.

I don't think that's an opinion that changes if someone else next to them. Whether they're watching a movie, doing work or listening to a teams meeting, doesn't bother me.
​​​​​​
Old Oct 10, 20, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
I've never done it, but I certainly would. My concern is more the background noise making hard for others to hear me, but for a call where I'm mostly listening, I'd certainly do it. What on earth does the OP's wife's opinion have to do with this?
donít know about OP, but my wife often has plenty to say about my behavior in public
wrp96 and cmd320 like this.
Old Oct 10, 20, 10:34 pm

lol wow ... we have become a bit sensitive maybe? reading back on the responses ... all I can say is ... poor OP for asking a question and the wrath of assumptions and accusations that endued. I must respect the OP for keeping his cool in his responses and not fueling the fire.
chrisny2 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: