Microsoft TEAMS call in flight?

Old Oct 9, 20, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
This is against AA regulations.

You can use your cell phone, laptop and other electronic devices onboard until advised by the flight crew, but phone calls aren't allowed during flight.
An older version of the site says more explicitly:

Cell phone and Voice-over Internet Protocol (VOIP) services are not available with inflight Wi-Fi.
I suspect you will have no real trouble listening to the call. If you participate in the call, it will be obvious to everyone around you (even in first) and to the flight attendants, who will tell you to end the call.

Either your meeting or your flight can wait.
Old Oct 9, 20, 4:37 pm

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Please don't be that guy.
Si! I see from the likes on your post that the majority feelings do not change on this topic. Do you remember CO DO 2007 @ IAH when Senor Kellner polled the crowd of several hundred attendees about who was in favor of cellphone calls onboard and who said SI POR FAVOR or NO HAY NADA? The ratio was two or three to several hundred.

I am so thankful that - so far - this has not been authorized on any carrier. We must #STANDSTRONG lol!
Old Oct 9, 20, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
You are on a flight and you manage to get a voice connection through Teams, Zoom, Webex .... and then your boss or client asks you: "Could you please share your screen?"
Old Oct 9, 20, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Also, those apps like Zoom and Teams can be bandwidth hogging. Be considerate to others on board by not streaming or participating in multi-user webinars. I have learned that Zoom, for example, uses a lot more bandwidth for ALL users if many others are on the same call, even for the passive (non-speaking) users.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 20, 5:04 pm

Programs: RFC
MS Teams is godawful at managing bandwidth and will usually try to soak up as much as possible. So, yeah, go ahead and try calling and see how far you get. Just understand it'll be terrible quality even for Teams, given the lack of bandwidth on most plane connections, *and* you'll be soaking up every other pax's potential to connect to anything.
Old Oct 9, 20, 6:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by geepmaley View Post
I have a colleague who scheduled a TEAMS call with a mutual customer when I will be flying (in domestic F to St Thomas with my wife as seatmate in row 4 on a 319) and was not planning on talking all the way through unless asked a specific question. Would be laptop based with headphones, not phone
Does WiFi even work in an A319 while over water? I rarely use WiFi (I consider being on a plane as an escape), but the few times I have, I've found it to be a mixed bag over water (or over certain countries).
geepmaley likes this.
Old Oct 9, 20, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by wakesetter93 View Post
So we're just going to forget about the Airfone?
which do not exist any longer
Old Oct 9, 20, 7:55 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
As a member of the crew (Captain) if you are able to do this, please don't. It will potentially create a huge issue with the passengers around you, and the cabin crew, which could end up with a diversion and/or police at the gate if you don't comply.

Plus, over the Caribbean, connectivity will be very poor. In some spots, there isn't even radar coverage, let alone decent wifi.
geepmaley and aztimm like this.
Old Oct 9, 20, 8:20 pm

Don't do it.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 9, 20, 9:36 pm

*del*
Old Oct 9, 20, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
OP never had a chance
wrp96, CodeAdam10, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 20, 1:35 am
Suspended

Ah the real reason for the post he just wants to let everyone know he is flying in F, look at me syndrome.

Originally Posted by geepmaley View Post
I have a colleague who scheduled a TEAMS call with a mutual customer when I will be flying (in domestic F to St Thomas with my wife as seatmate in row 4 on a 319) and was not planning on talking all the way through unless asked a specific question. Would be laptop based with headphones, not phone

I am actually trying to get the meeting rescheduled but just thinking ahead in case it doesn't

Thanks all for the input
Old Oct 10, 20, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT/ 1MM+, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the chance constructive responses. Admins, you can close this thread.
jhalapin likes this.
Old Oct 10, 20, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
Either your meeting or your flight can wait.
This.
Old Oct 10, 20, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by samwise6222 View Post
Since when did two-way calling get banned (just curious)?

I remember using one of these, and getting a bill for $100 for a short call

​​​​​​
Right on bro. I remember flying on TG from BKK-BNE about 8 years ago l, swiping my credit card through the IFE remote and talking away.

Man people have become so precious. May as well just ban talking while inflight?

Do people that think talking on a phone inflight is a no no ok with a business meeting for 4 in Qsuites?

Last edited by Croupier; Oct 10, 20 at 5:29 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: