Did AA Just Drop LAX To HND/NRT ?

Old Oct 8, 20, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Did AA Just Drop LAX To HND/NRT ?

Logged in to check on some flights today and noticed that three different AA flights scheduled over next 6 months to Tokyo were cancelled.
Looks like DFW to NRT is still there on AA metal. At least for now. Else-wise it's just JAL to LAX.

Anyone know what happened? I call EXP desk to work on re-booking and they seemed surprised.
Old Oct 8, 20, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Might have answered my own question. Geeze they moved quick :
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...teway-to-asia/
Old Oct 8, 20, 7:21 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP
It's a strong possibility, given the joint business with JAL. The AACargo widebody schedule only lists LAX-HND as operating until 24 Oct.

Interestingly enough, they are still flying a cargo-only 77W on LAX-NRT-HKG every day. Unless they are using the passenger compartment for cargo, it seems like they should sell seats on it.
sky_throwaway, 355F1 and ESpen36 like this.
Old Oct 8, 20, 7:44 pm

Looks like LAX-HND flights start up again March 27th. Perhaps related to the recent news/rumors that Japan won't open to tourism until April?
Old Oct 11, 20, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FlyingChuck View Post
Looks like LAX-HND flights start up again March 27th. Perhaps related to the recent news/rumors that Japan won't open to tourism until April?
No, they won’t open the tourism until Spring 2021 or summer. They won’t know for sure.
Old Oct 11, 20, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This also seems to be in line with AA's overall pullback from LAX.
Old Oct 11, 20, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
If you're not using upgrades, better off on JL anyway franky. But I suspect this is more due to Japan saying they won't open for tourism until the last minute before Olympic preparations than anything else. Japan's govt is determined to make the Olympics happen so they won't risk mass importation of the virus until then.

Fortunately, they just recently said that staring in Nov. that those of us living here should be able to re-enter quarantine free from any country. So internally I think we're opening up again soon, just not to non-residents.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: