Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA International Inventory - CDG-DFW- Makes No Sense

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA International Inventory - CDG-DFW- Makes No Sense

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2020, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, HH, IHG
Question AA International Inventory - CDG-DFW- Makes No Sense

OK - worked for a major airline in sales for many years, and I have to admit, I don't get this. Someone please explain. Needed a OW from CDG-DFW on Wednesday, we must have been 20+ passengers on a B777 (I know nice but sad). The seats are unavailable for sale. Same as all of next week, if you check AA.com, economy is sold out for a OW ticket (unless you use FF miles - which I ended up doing), yet the cabin is wide open, very wide open. So then I thought ok, must be cargo (weight & balance) - but no, we only used 1/2 the runway. Unless it is some government controlled limitation, these flights are operating at a HUGE loss. Please send your hypothesis here... Thanks

Last edited by jpschoubert; Oct 2, 2020 at 1:16 pm
Old Oct 2, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Could you book the same flight as the outbound of a round trip?
Old Oct 2, 2020, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Could you book the same flight as the outbound of a round trip?
Yes the RT books fine originating in either DFW or CDG - Crazy money too, which makes no sense, but that's a different topic..
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
IME, for some reason the OW carriers have generally chosen not to offer reasonable one-way TATL fares like *A and ST do. I usually use miles or fly a different carrier (This decision is the only reason I have ever set foot on EI, DE and UX aircraft) as it is hard to justify spending 5x more just to fly OW.
A321T and brewdog11 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by jpschoubert
OK - worked for a major airline in sales for many years, and I have to admit, I don't get this. Someone please explain. Needed a OW from CDG-DFW on Wednesday, we must have been 20+ passengers on a B777 (I know nice but sad). The seats are unavailable for sale. Same as all of next week, if you check AA.com, economy is sold out for a OW ticket (unless you use FF miles - which I ended up doing), yet the cabin is wide open, very wide open. So then I thought ok, must be cargo (weight & balance) - but no, we only used 1/2 the runway. Unless it is some government controlled limitation, these flights are operating at a HUGE loss. Please send your hypothesis here... Thanks
Looks like a point of sale issue. If you purchase the one-way CDG-DFW from the US, the cheapest fare is in PE (seats are available in Y if you choose "Flexible" fares, but for more $). If you change the Location setting on AAs website to France, and are then able to find a way to purchase a ticket, you can get more reasonable one-way fares in Y (looks like around 800 EUR for next week).
Old Oct 2, 2020, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by econ
Looks like a point of sale issue. If you purchase the one-way CDG-DFW from the US, the cheapest fare is in PE (seats are available in Y if you choose "Flexible" fares, but for more $). If you change the Location setting on AAs website to France, and are then able to find a way to purchase a ticket, you can get more reasonable one-way fares in Y (looks like around 800 EUR for next week).
Great observation!
Old Oct 3, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
The CDG-DFW also has c=0 for many days, even though it's empty up front. Very odd. Booked using miles instead.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewp123
The CDG-DFW also has c=0 for many days, even though it's empty up front. Very odd. Booked using miles instead.
AA let go a lot of its corporate staff so maybe the remaining international yield analysts haven't gotten to tweak those flights
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Something is going on with AA pricing - Many of the International routes are not competitive at all, almost as if they did not want the business. Some people can still travel despite the restrictions, very strange.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fly747first
AA let go a lot of its corporate staff so maybe the remaining international yield analysts haven't gotten to tweak those flights
Either that or the one guy who knows how to change the vacuum tubes And punch cards on their mainframe is out sick.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
It's been strange and given that all flights are empty - I don't get it either. I booked VIE-MIA-VIE yesterday - with instant Systemwide upgrade - for $550 return. MUC-MIA-MUC where you have (might have) a LH direct flight as compettion in Nov would have been double that price. I get the usual competitive pricing decisions - but right now as flights are empty (my most crowded TATL cabin was VS J a week ago with 3 pax and a total of 24 pax (including 1 baby) on the entire plane) I find it odd how unattractive most AA fares are. BA is a lot cheaper, as is LH etc...
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flying_geek
It's been strange and given that all flights are empty - I don't get it either. I booked VIE-MIA-VIE yesterday - with instant Systemwide upgrade - for $550 return. MUC-MIA-MUC where you have (might have) a LH direct flight as compettion in Nov would have been double that price. I get the usual competitive pricing decisions - but right now as flights are empty (my most crowded TATL cabin was VS J a week ago with 3 pax and a total of 24 pax (including 1 baby) on the entire plane) I find it odd how unattractive most AA fares are. BA is a lot cheaper, as is LH etc...
I wish someone can shed some light - It's like their entire inventory management staff is out to lunch. Went to book CLT-CDG in January in eco - most carriers are <$700 including DL/KLM/AF etc, AA if >$1,600. Saw same irregularities with BRU/GVA/FCO...it's all over.
Loyalty can be bought!
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That you do not like the fares that it is choosing to offer, does not mean that there is an issue with any employees at the airline ; the pricing may be quite intentional
Simple solution would be to book on a carrier that has the lower fares
Just doing a check on matrix, for r/t journeys with 1 stop , AA's fares seem to be in line with other carriers starting at < $1300 - the lower fares I can see on Matrix all show 2 stops and long journey times

Looking at Brussels fares, it seems about $100 more than the cheapest 1 stop service and $200 more than a 2 stop

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 12, 2020 at 2:51 pm
Old Oct 12, 2020, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Either that or the one guy who knows how to change the vacuum tubes And punch cards on their mainframe is out sick.
That could very well be! Last year, it took these "analysts" over a month to figure out a mistake where MIA LAX 77W had J priced four times higher than F when both cabins were entirely empty!
Old Oct 12, 2020, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by flying_geek
It's been strange and given that all flights are empty - I don't get it either.
I'm seeing some oddities myself when looking at transatlantic fares. When regular economy is cheap, premium economy seems to be out of whack (i.e., more than double the cost). I'm not sure what logic they're using for the pricing considering that things are so abnormal. On the one hand, the loads are abysmally low, but on the other hand, there's not much competition on most routes.

For myself, I'm doing all I can to avoid extra connections at major airports. I'd really rather not make a double connection to get from Western Europe to the US. It's bad enough to be forced to go through LHR as it is. Though I suppose if everything remains consolidated in Terminal 5, that makes things a little better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.