Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skiplagging or truly missed flight ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Skiplagging or truly missed flight ?

Anyone risk losing aa miles for trying to make a 1 hour connection ? This is for a quick weekend trip. If we have checked luggage to the final destination does that make it better ? If I miss the connection might as well go back home or is that hard to do ?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
No No No. Missed flights will not be a problem ever.

You will be fine. Ive done (admittedly questioning my sanity) 25 minute connections in PHX many times.
JJeffrey and deeruck like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
Anyone risk losing aa miles for trying to make a 1 hour connection ? This is for a quick weekend trip. If we have checked luggage to the final destination does that make it better ? If I miss the connection might as well go back home or is that hard to do ?
I work as a database administrator in an industry similar to that of airlines. (I have never worked for any airline.)

In my opinion, no one cares about a one-time missed flight. Too many honest, legitimate things could go wrong: a missed connection, illness, business or personal emergency, meet-up with a Class of 1982 high school buddy who offers a ride and catch-up with old times, etc.

From what I've seen, they are going after the multiple time offenders, such as the guy commuting between the home office and the field office once a week and has figured out how to save money using Hidden City ticketing. If you "get sick" every Friday at 3:42 pm, missing the same flight out of the same hub to the same destination, for 20 weeks in a row, yes, someone might call you on it.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I don't see how you can be skiplagging by ending a trip early going to your holiday destination because of flight delays / missed connections.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:15 pm

Anyone risk losing aa miles for trying to make a 1 hour connection ? This is for a quick weekend trip. If we have checked luggage to the final destination does that make it better ?
This is a bit cryptic. I think you're saying you truly want to make the connection, but are concerned that if you are unfortunate enough to miss it and at that point you abandon your trip, you will be suspected of hidden-city ticketing. I wouldn't worry. If you misconnect due to an actual flight delay, that will be clear enough. Also, if this happens on the outbound and you also have a return, the hidden-city theory doesn't make much sense because you'd be discarding a lot more than one segment.
If I miss the connection might as well go back home or is that hard to do ?
Normally the response to a missed connection is to try to get you to the final destination somehow (even proactively rerouting you from the start if a delay is foreseen). If this is possible, I assume you would cooperate because you do want to get to the ticketed destination. If a misconnect delays you so much that it's no longer worth going for the weekend, you would say that forthrightly and ask to cancel or reroute back home as a "trip in vain". It's all routine and straightforward when you actually want to reach your ticketed destination expeditiously (which is what most pax want and what airlines try to deliver).
formeraa and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
If a misconnect delays you so much that it's no longer worth going for the weekend, you would say that forthrightly and ask to cancel or reroute back home as a "trip in vain". It's all routine and straightforward when you actually want to reach your ticketed destination expeditiously (which is what most pax want and what airlines try to deliver).
If you've booked this on the same ticket (which must be the case if you're asking about hidden city ticketing) then AA will know why you've missed the connection. And as FlyingEgghead noted, it's probably not what they'd auto-book you on, but it would not be an issue re-routing home. Been there, done that.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Given the schedule reductions of most airlines and in general less people flying a one hour connection is pretty doable in most hubs these days.

If you do miss your flight and choose to go home I'd recommend not checking bags as it'll make getting them back more challenging. No you won't get in trouble for hidden city ticketing.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

It is a commuter flight to an aa flight. The commuter flight arrives at those secluded wings and then come to the main wing then possibly a tram to a different terminal.

if my luggage makes it to destination without me, can relatives sign for it without me with my permission ?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
If your goal is to skip a segment, then don't check luggage. Doing this a few times won't get you in trouble unless you make a history of it in which case AA may take action against you.

It is a commuter flight to an aa flight. The commuter flight arrives at those secluded wings and then come to the main wing then possibly a tram to a different terminal.

if my luggage makes it to destination without me, can relatives sign for it without me with my permission ?
If you miss your connecting flight and your luggage makes it to the final destination, I very much doubt that for security reasons AA would allow someone else to pick it up.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
it is still unclear what it is you are trying to do

I assume you are flying A-B-C where B is a connecting airport and C your final destination

If when you get to B you have missed the flight to C then yes you can return home and get whatever refund / compensation applies in those circumstances. If you bags make to to C then AA will be resonsible for getting them back to you.

Forget about using terms you appear not to know the meaning of like 'skiplagging'
deeruck and LovePrunes like this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 2:34 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Agreed, OP what’s really up here?
Old Sep 30, 2020, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Just a fast flight during a weekend without having to spend money on a hotel room. Return flight is at 1am. Quite an adventure
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star

in theory if you miss the connection your bags should be offloaded and then loaded on the flight you are re booked on instead

is this all one ticket? if so you will be rebooked to your destination. If that happens is it your intention to take that rebooked flight or stay in the city you are transiting in?
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
So the hidden-city thing is a red herring. You aren't attempting to buy a one-way ticket and get off at the connection because buying A-B-C was much cheaper than buying A-B.

You have a round-trip, A-B-C-B-A, hope to fly it all, and are wondering what happens if A-B is delayed. (Or, for that matter, if B-C is delayed or canceled.)

Someone hit upon it upthread - that's "trip in vain". You'd go to an airline counter and explain your situation. The default solution is that they'd get you on a B-A flight home. They'd locate your luggage in their system and get it back to A.

People doing daytrips are common. This won't be new to them. But why the heck are you messing with a checked bag on a daytrip? If the intent is to deliver something to someone in C, that changes things a little in that if you miss B-C, chances are your luggage missed it too - and they aren't going to send your luggage to C if you fly back to A. (At least not if they can help it.)

IME, the likelier case on a really tight connection is that you make it but your luggage does not. I can run through the airport faster than the luggage transfer works, and while they might hold the gate if they know a couple people are minutes away from making the flight, they aren't going to sit around and wait on your bags. That said, with a 1 hour connection and presumably a morning flight, this is probably much ado about nothing.
JDiver, SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by pinniped; Sep 30, 2020 at 11:01 am
Old Sep 30, 2020, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Definitely do not check luggage if you're going to miss a segment of the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.