Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paid LAX-MIA on 773 business ticket. Upgrade to F question?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2020, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: Platinum pro Hyatt Globalist

So as the title said I have a paid transcon business ticket lax-Mia on the 77w. Has anyone ever gotten a cash same day upgrade offer for first class? Yes I know first class dining is closed, but I still think it be neat to fly first. I currently don't have enough miles to upgrade. Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:26 am

Upgrade

My understanding, is it must be a J or D fare, on a 3 class
Old Sep 27, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by skylady
Fare class shouldn't matter for a buy-up option. I haven't personally seen it on the MIA-LAX 77W flight, but F has been going out full on those flights pretty regularly.

Honestly, at the moment I wouldn't waste the money on it. No FFD, no FL, service on the plane is basically identical to J to the point where they give you a business class menu. Plus at this point the fare differences are ridiculous between J and F. My suggestion would be to just save your miles and then try to find a sAAver award or upgrade award when you have enough, and hopefully by then the full service will be back.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
Honestly, at the moment I wouldn't waste the money on it. No FFD, no FL, service on the plane is basically identical to J to the point where they give you a business class menu. Plus at this point the fare differences are ridiculous between J and F. My suggestion would be to just save your miles and then try to find a sAAver award or upgrade award when you have enough, and hopefully by then the full service will be back.
Second this.

Also, I personally prefer the J seat to the F seat.
fotographer and justforfun like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
You’d get better value from signing a blank check and leaving it on Michigan Avenue then paying to upgrade to F from J.
Antarius and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, DL Silver, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Avis PC
Agree on the 77W at almost any price other than free. J to F upgrade is of dubious value - seats comparable to the extent some people prefer the J seats, and few if any of the F vs. J amenities (wine list, menu, Flagship First Dining or Flagship Check-In) are available or meaningful.

At the right price, disagree on A321T. Every seat is both an aisle and window seat, it's (basically) the same seat as the 77W J seat. J on the 321T you are stepping over or being stepped over all the time because of the 2x2, the seat is distinctly lesser than the F seat.
Antarius and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I wouldnt waste the cash.... having used SWU to go from J to F on the DFW to HKG..... the seat is ok.. but I think the main reason was that my wife enjoyed the
better selection of bubbles
cmd320 and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 7:08 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Yawn. As the others have mentioned, most of the value of J to F is on the ground. With the flagship closed. I’d pass.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by skylady
I remember that restriction from long ago, no I fares. But I have this vague memory that the restriction was eliminated? I think I upgraded I->A (mileage/upgrade class for First, also discounted first) on JFK-LAX in June using a SWU. What about the new-isn R fares?

Whether it's worth it on the 77W is another story. Without FFD/FL's, and with no First menu or wine list anymore, I'd say no. On the 321T, I think it is.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:21 pm

Hi, I have a question. I am booked on LAX-MIA on 77W in First Class next month. When I purchased the ticket with miles, it didn't have any of the Flagship First branding on my itinerary or anywhere even though I'm sitting in the Flagship First Cabin. Will I be able to use any ground amenities for this flight i.e. check in or some sort of lounge access? This is my first time trying AA's premium product so this is all new to me. Any specific insights would be well appreciated, thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GoldenMaknae619
Hi, I have a question. I am booked on LAX-MIA on 77W in First Class next month. When I purchased the ticket with miles, it didn't have any of the Flagship First branding on my itinerary or anywhere even though I'm sitting in the Flagship First Cabin. Will I be able to use any ground amenities for this flight i.e. check in or some sort of lounge access? This is my first time trying AA's premium product so this is all new to me. Any specific insights would be well appreciated, thanks!
Yes, assuming anything is actually open in LAX at that point, you’ll have access.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
a whole lot of people giving their opinion on F but not too many actually sticking to the subject

back to the question

on my last 4 flights including today no paid upgrades available. I always check the kiosk
Zacnlinc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.