FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Discontinuing Elite Membership Cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2025725-aa-discontinuing-elite-membership-cards.html)

Antarius Sep 27, 2020 10:37 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 32703836)
YES! HEL usually does not ask anymore but the other stations I mentioned do. Add ARN to the list. Either it is incompetence or a power trip that involves it.

Was this recently? Was in ARN a little while ago and they didn't bat an eye. Could very well be power tripping

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 32703836)
Until all three alliances announce that "THE EFFING DIGITAL CARD IS ENOUGH FOR ALL PURPOSES" I will keep fighting tooth and nail for a physical one. If they want to cut costs, I propose to stop proactively sending out member kits/cards but elites who request it should have the right to receive one.

The challenge is also beyond the airlines and their employees. Its airport staff, security etc. I literally had someone want to stamp my phone as it was required for security clearance. Took me 10 minutes to explain how idiotic that was and then had to go back and get a paper one.

There always will be some people who are on a trip or just being difficult, no matter how clear and obvious the process is.

miamiflyer8 Sep 27, 2020 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 32704070)
Was this recently? Was in ARN a little while ago and they didn't bat an eye. Could very well be power tripping

The challenge is also beyond the airlines and their employees. Its airport staff, security etc. I literally had someone want to stamp my phone as it was required for security clearance. Took me 10 minutes to explain how idiotic that was and then had to go back and get a paper one.

There always will be some people who are on a trip or just being difficult, no matter how clear and obvious the process is.

About 2-3yrs ago. The Menzies lounge at ARN sometimes asks but usually doesn't so yes power tripping indeed.

Also, when checking in at the counter regardless of the carrier and the FF number is for some reason not in the booking, It is easier both for me and the agent to take my physical card out of my passport wallet. I once tried showing it from my iPhone wallet and I had to read it out loud since the agent "Couldn't see it" off my screen.

Further adding to ARN, I had a paper bp from the counter with very clear information on it. "PRIORITY SECURITY" in bold letters, AY GOLD and OW SAPPHIRE listed along with the number. The automated gate failed to scan it so the security dragon let me in manually and demanded the card.

footballfanatic Sep 27, 2020 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 (Post 32704088)
About 2-3yrs ago. The Menzies lounge at ARN sometimes asks but usually doesn't so yes power tripping indeed.

Also, when checking in at the counter regardless of the carrier and the FF number is for some reason not in the booking, It is easier both for me and the agent to take my physical card out of my passport wallet. I once tried showing it from my iPhone wallet and I had to read it out loud since the agent "Couldn't see it" off my screen.

Further adding to ARN, I had a paper bp from the counter with very clear information on it. "PRIORITY SECURITY" in bold letters, AY GOLD and OW SAPPHIRE listed along with the number. The automated gate failed to scan it so the security dragon let me in manually and demanded the card.

are they trying to get you to dump BA and go with Swiss? not a good look. or, is this just how ARN operates for all airlines?

miamiflyer8 Sep 27, 2020 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by footballfanatic (Post 32704373)
are they trying to get you to dump BA and go with Swiss? not a good look. or, is this just how ARN operates for all airlines?

90% of the time the third party Fast Track lane at T2 operates like it is supposed to, same goes for the SAS Fast Track in T5 with both using the automated gate with an agent to assist if there are issues. Same goes for the SK lounge and the Menzies T2 lounge, painless entry but sometimes physical cards are needed.

I once wanted to get in the SK*G lounge but I have no status with them where I wanted to credit, so I simply handed the dragon my Avianca Brasil Gold plastic and my bp and had them let me in manually. Was not an issue at all since I had the physical card present.

econ Sep 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 32704001)
Sure, but no one checks the date for validity before having the bag moved or finding space.
​​​I'm pretty sure my bag still has the tags from 2013 (I think the year the design changed).

It would be nice to send them once to newly qualified EXPs. But for repeat qualifiers, it's just wasted plastic. I have a box full of them.

Also haven't replaced mine for several years.

Don't see any need to, the ones that they've been sending out recently hold up pretty well.

garykung Sep 27, 2020 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tintin (Post 32699362)
I wonder if it might be possible to request a card. Any thought?

You would, if there is anyone who refuse to take digital card or other proof of status. That's why UA still allows UA Gold to have the card on request, because of LH.

hwbudden Sep 28, 2020 9:00 am

No loss

Originally Posted by Tintin (Post 32699362)
Gary Leff reported yesterday that American Airlines no longer sends membership kits to frequent flyers (including EXP, but not sure about CK) when they earn AAdvantage elite status.

No More American Airlines Elite Membership Cards, But You Can Still Call For Employee Recognition Certs

I am disappointed. I use my EXP card frequently for 2 reasons:

(1) Print boarding pass at self-service terminals,
(2) Access One World Business/First Lounges, Immigration, Check-in, Customer Service, etc. when flying Economy.

I wonder if it might be possible to request a card. Any thought?

I've never used my EXP card and don't bother carrying it. Usually lounge access is on the boarding pass, but providing the AA number is a good backup. I won't miss it...just more trash for our landfills

Antarius Sep 28, 2020 9:07 am

Meanwhile some of the people from https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...oo-many-3.html are like

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6c89864131.gif

javabytes Sep 28, 2020 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 32704001)
Sure, but no one checks the date for validity before having the bag moved or finding space.
​​​I'm pretty sure my bag still has the tags from 2013 (I think the year the design changed).

It would be nice to send them once to newly qualified EXPs. But for repeat qualifiers, it's just wasted plastic. I have a box full of them.

Put ‘em on your checked bags too, they’ll get used up fairly quickly. :D

Antarius Sep 28, 2020 9:13 am

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 32706231)
Put ‘em on your checked bags too, they’ll get used up fairly quickly. :D

I do! And I'm one of those people who checks a bag every time. One of the tags finally got bent a little bit, but they've survived hundreds of flights without incident. :eek:

thehawk75 Sep 28, 2020 3:15 pm

Bummer. I'm about to hit 2MM. I'd like to at least get the 'trophy' for doing so.

cmd320 Sep 28, 2020 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75 (Post 32707152)
Bummer. I'm about to hit 2MM. I'd like to at least get the 'trophy' for doing so.

If I'm remembering the other thread on this from a while ago correctly, I thought I read that MMs were still getting cards. I may be remembering that incorrectly though.

robertablake Sep 29, 2020 5:36 am

Originally Posted by thehawk75 (Post 32707152)

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32707161)
If I'm remembering the other thread on this from a while ago correctly, I thought I read that MMs were still getting cards. I may be remembering that incorrectly though.

That would be nice. I'll likely hit 2mm miles early next year. While my CK status is extended thru next year, I will not likely qualify for any status beyond Lifetime Platinum going forward due to my "early retirement" due to Covid-19. So getting a Lifetime Platinum card would be nice.

SPN Lifer Sep 29, 2020 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 32700938)
I don't know if they have digital cards (don't have an AC membership). However, my understanding is that AC membership cards are still being sent out.

Originally Posted by kabroui (Post 32702115)
I would hope that the lounge agents would accept a digital card via BA or AA's app. BA actually has a bar-coded membership card in their app so I suppose that would work.

It would be nice if (lifetime) Admirals Club cards were available on the AA app the same way (lifetime) United Club cards are available on the UA app. Some day? I still carry both plastic Club cards in my leather ticket wallet.

miamiflyer8 Sep 29, 2020 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 32709674)
It would be nice if (lifetime) Admirals Club cards were available on the AA app the same way (lifetime) United Club cards are available on the UA app. Some day? I still carry both plastic Club cards in my leather ticket wallet.

DL does this for Lifetime members by putting the expiry as year 2079. For Club members it makes sense to have no cards issued. AA and DL only allow access to their own lounges (AA gets you into AS and QF) when traveling within their respective alliance so it is very likely that the FF number is in the booking anyway. Physical card was useful to present along with paper bp back when any airline was allowed. For UA, it would make sense for LH to start accepting the digital one. I find that club cards are different from Elite cards given that they must be rarely shown.