AA Discontinuing Elite Membership Cards

Old Sep 26, 20, 10:36 pm

Programs: Free Agent
AA should've quit sending out member kits, but any elite who requests one should receive one. BA and SK for example started doing this.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 20, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
AA should've quit sending out member kits, but any elite who requests one should receive one. BA and SK for example started doing this.
Why? there is no more reason for a member with status to need a membership card than a member without status - if anything a member without status is more likely to have a reason to potentially need one - at most non AA lounges, a person with Platinum or higher status would have access via OW status anyway
Old Sep 26, 20, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Why? there is no more reason for a member with status to need a membership card than a member without status - if anything a member without status is more likely to have a reason to potentially need one - at most non AA lounges, a person with Platinum or higher status would have access via OW status anyway
Because entering partner lounges OW or non-OW** some dragons insist upon it. Not only is it this, but lets say I credit to one account and want to access a lounge with the higher status. Easier to prove with a plastic card. Same goes for Priority security lanes. Also, when status matching, usually digital cards are not accepted due to them being easily faked.

**These include AY lounge and security lane at HEL, BA lounge TXL, HAM, DUS, MUC, BCN, ALC contract lounges when flying AY in my personal experiences.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 20, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Because entering partner lounges OW or non-OW** some dragons insist upon it. Not only is it this, but lets say I credit to one account and want to access a lounge with the higher status. Easier to prove with a plastic card. Same goes for Priority security lanes. Also, when status matching, usually digital cards are not accepted due to them being easily faked.

**These include AY lounge and security lane at HEL, BA lounge TXL, HAM, DUS, MUC, BCN, ALC contract lounges when flying AY in my personal experiences.
Have not had to produce a card at HEL, TXL, MUC ever. They asked for a card when your FF was in the reservation?
Old Sep 27, 20, 2:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by kabroui View Post
Exactly the scenario I was considering.... Let's say I'm flying on BA through HKG and want to get into the Pier first lounge. If I'm crediting my BA flight to BAEC as a Silver elite, I will be denied access since my boarding pass identifies me as a OW Sapphire. However, my AA EXP/OW Emerald status should allow me access regardless of what the boarding pass says. Without a physical card, I will have to resort to trying to prove my AA EXP status by using the AA app... assuming that I can get it working using the HKG airport internet and the CX lounge agents will accept that as proof of my eligibility to enter.
One option to consider is to check-in with your AA (OWE) FF#, use your boarding pass to access the lounge, then prior to boarding have the gate agent print a new boarding pass with the FF# of the program you want to credit to.

I've done this once before and was successful (although it was on a *A carrier), but obviously a big hassle.
Old Sep 27, 20, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Nope.. No reason to go through the extra cost involved
Old Sep 27, 20, 3:37 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by dogcanyon View Post
I'm glad you didn't have a problem with LA, but there was evidently a well-known glitch in their IT system where an AA member's current elite status would be listed incorrectly, resulting in the wrong status being printed on the boarding pass.
I didn't know this was a widespread issue. Happened to me as recently as last year- most of the time my emerald status didn't make it on the BP at all.
I hope BA will accept the phone cards in the future - the times I have tried at outstation lounges that was not the case. I`d hate to lose lounge and premium check-in access when crediting flights not to AA but to BAEC where I never get beyond bronze status if at all and my AA status is not on the BP.
Old Sep 27, 20, 4:01 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by kabroui View Post
Without a physical card, I will have to resort to trying to prove my AA EXP status by using the AA app... assuming that I can get it working using the HKG airport internet and the CX lounge agents will accept that as proof of my eligibility to enter.
You don't need to get the AA app to work just to show your card - the card can be downloaded to your phone as picture from the app at any point.
Old Sep 27, 20, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by bhomburg View Post
You don't need to get the AA app to work just to show your card - the card can be downloaded to your phone as picture from the app at any point.
But that picture doesn't seem to show an expiration date. (I have lifetime status, but does it show the expiration date for people who don't?)
Old Sep 27, 20, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Have not had to produce a card at HEL, TXL, MUC ever. They asked for a card when your FF was in the reservation?
YES! HEL usually does not ask anymore but the other stations I mentioned do. Add ARN to the list. Either it is incompetence or a power trip that involves it.

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Nope.. No reason to go through the extra cost involved
Until all three alliances announce that "THE EFFING DIGITAL CARD IS ENOUGH FOR ALL PURPOSES" I will keep fighting tooth and nail for a physical one. If they want to cut costs, I propose to stop proactively sending out member kits/cards but elites who request it should have the right to receive one.
mrow and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Sep 27, 20, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I really don’t care about the card, but am going to miss the tags. In addition to allowing lost bags to be reunited with their owners (which I admit could be done by any tags), the EXP tags sure had an effect on board if a bag needed to get moved from a full bin (or worse, gate checked) as many FAs would try to avoid inconveniencing an EXP.
SPN Lifer and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 27, 20, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
I really donít care about the card, but am going to miss the tags. In addition to allowing lost bags to be reunited with their owners (which I admit could be done by any tags), the EXP tags sure had an effect on board if a bag needed to get moved from a full bin (or worse, gate checked) as many FAs would try to avoid inconveniencing an EXP.
Sure, but no one checks the date for validity before having the bag moved or finding space.
​​​I'm pretty sure my bag still has the tags from 2013 (I think the year the design changed).

It would be nice to send them once to newly qualified EXPs. But for repeat qualifiers, it's just wasted plastic. I have a box full of them.
Old Sep 27, 20, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Sure, but no one checks the date for validity before having the bag moved or finding space.
​​​I'm pretty sure my bag still has the tags from 2013 (I think the year the design changed).
Same. I haven't been EXP since 2014 or 2015, but I still keep the tag on my bag for the purposes javabytes describes. Seems to work pretty well for when I'm late to board and don't want to gate check it also.
Old Sep 27, 20, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
I really donít care about the card, but am going to miss the tags. In addition to allowing lost bags to be reunited with their owners (which I admit could be done by any tags), the EXP tags sure had an effect on board if a bag needed to get moved from a full bin (or worse, gate checked) as many FAs would try to avoid inconveniencing an EXP.
I like that AA put your name and account number on the tags. DL used to have metal tags with metal strings and used to include information, but their kit today only has flimsy plastic tags with no info on it. No card either. If you're gonna send tags then surely including a card won't cost much more?

It would be nice to send them once to newly qualified EXPs. But for repeat qualifiers, it's just wasted plastic. I have a box full of them.
Agree. For fresh EXP or any other tier, send them out initially by default, and for repeats on request in case they break or get lost. BA does this to give an example.

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Same. I haven't been EXP since 2014 or 2015, but I still keep the tag on my bag for the purposes javabytes describes. Seems to work pretty well for when I'm late to board and don't want to gate check it also.
I've also had my tags save the counter agent from making an issue about a slightly overweight checked bag so there's another benefit.
Old Sep 27, 20, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
But that picture doesn't seem to show an expiration date. (I have lifetime status, but does it show the expiration date for people who don't?)
Yes it does.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: