AA Discontinuing Elite Membership Cards

Old Sep 25, 20, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Same here. No need for them or the accompanying bag tags either .Total waste. Some people on here will be very upset they won't be able to hang them all over their bags anymore!
The one thing you and I consistently agree on here!

to AA for doing this. Absolutely no need for the physical card and the even more pointless bag tags.
enviroian and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 25, 20, 10:25 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by robertablake View Post
Not quite a total waste. Some international partner lounges want to see the physical card. It is a waste if those lounges are not important to you.
this was true 5-10 years ago. I have not personally had this issue in the last few years.
Old Sep 25, 20, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is a good move. Waste of plastic, time, effort and money.

I am certain that if one attempted entry to every lounge in the world based on AA status, sooner or later one will hit some lounge person who will not only ask for a card but will deny entry. But, I haven't experienced it and haven't heard of it happening in a good long while.

My guess is that most of those physical cards are sitting in a desk drawer or a trash can in any event.

Remember, it doesn't matter whether you are asked for a card, it is whether you are denied entry.
Old Sep 25, 20, 11:13 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I hope our old cards are still recognized in the self-serve kiosks. I use it every trip to print my return flight BP.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 25, 20, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by robertablake View Post
Not quite a total waste. Some international partner lounges want to see the physical card. It is a waste if those lounges are not important to you.
Which ones? I haven't encountered this at partner, contract or other lounges since I was a kid tagalong with my parents.
Old Sep 25, 20, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
As noted in the EXP thread I received an email with my EXP qualification in June saying no physical cards. Strangely, they'd just sent me my PPro cards in May, so I'm guessing the cards stopped being sent in early June.
Old Sep 25, 20, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I've been to every affiliate lounge. Not once was I ever asked for card, only my BP showing either class or one world tier (whatever was applicable).

YMMV I guess.
How was the food offerings at the "Omsk Tsentralny Airport Business Lounge"?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 20, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by wjj View Post
UA also has stopped sending UC cards. Has AA stopped sending AC cards too? I was told by UA that I could request a UC card for use in partner clubs if needed.
AA is still issuing physical Admirals Club cards. If you’ve had your membership extended due to the pandemic you can even get a sticker to put on the card showing your new expiration date. Some partner lounges do not have access to electronic membership information.
Old Sep 25, 20, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Another cost-cutting measure.

Physical cards are useful for dragons at partner lounges that sometimes refuse to accept a digital card. Luggage tags are also useful for "finding space" when in Y and the overheads are full. I've often been able to sneak my bag in the closet with an EXP tag on it and I expect that would be unlikely had that not been there. Of course, I'm not even sure how many AA aircraft have closets anymore.
We should be embracing cost cutting measures that don't impact comfort or service. It's clear that the airline needs to cut costs in this environment. This is one that has no/minimal impact on service and has a positive impact on the environment. Would you rather the cost be cut somewhere else?
Old Sep 25, 20, 2:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Tit, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Which ones? I haven't encountered this at partner, contract or other lounges since I was a kid tagalong with my parents.
It's extremely rare nowadays if a factor at all. I've only had it happen to me once in the last 8 years while travelling 300+ days a year visiting over 100 countries (not all with OneWorld). I can't remember where the one time was (it was a 3rd party operated lounge somewhere reasonably obscure), but it was closer to eight years ago than recently...
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 25, 20, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cedric View Post
Would you rather the cost be cut somewhere else?
There hasn’t really been any shortage of cost cutting anywhere else so I’m not sure I see your point.
Old Sep 25, 20, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
There hasn’t really been any shortage of cost cutting anywhere else so I’m not sure I see your point.
My point is that the $x dollars saved here probably makes a lot more sense than saving an additional $x in staffing or product.
Old Sep 25, 20, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
Nah, UA did this a few years back. I think it's just a money-saving measure. I think this is good. The cards are a waste of plastic. If they do it like UA, you can order a plastic card (I think) if you call and say you're having problems in partner lounges.
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
UA also has stopped sending UC cards. Has AA stopped sending AC cards too? I was told by UA that I could request a UC card for use in partner clubs if needed.
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I’m with the ‘fair enough’ crowd on this. It is very rare to have to show a card, and they have minimal utility. It would be ideal, of course, to have an alliance-wide notification that the card in your digital wallet (with QR code or similar) is sufficient.

there are still isolated instances of *A lounges requiring card (or digital card showing *A logo)

UA's iOS app for elite doesn't have *A logo (and you'll get denied) - there are workarounds, see last post. sigh @ IT
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31897621-post117.html

UA is says no more UC membership cards which makes it more difficult, because you actually need a physical card to visit partner/*A lounges. digital does not work

(last post shows someone receiving their UC card late)
COVID Change: No Physical United Club Membership Cards (Once again available)

enough about UA. Does AA's mobile code for elite/AC membership have any limitations (like the above)
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 20, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
enough about UA. Does AA's mobile code for elite/AC membership have any limitations (like the above)
Never experienced any issues.

Honestly, the only place I have had issues with the mobile BP is in the AC when they replaced the drink coupons with scanning your BP. A bunch of their scanners didn't handle the mobile BP.

Oh, also in India where someone wanted to stamp my phone for security validation

Last edited by Antarius; Sep 25, 20 at 4:49 pm
Old Sep 25, 20, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
This thread started out about status-based entry but since we’re on the topic now... is there such a thing as a digital Admirals Club card? Boarding pass works fine at AA-operated locations. And it should work at other OneWorld lounges. But what about e.g the Icelandair Saga lounge in KEF? If you are traveling in coach and are not OWE/OWS you would still need the physical AC card.

Originally Posted by aa.com
Your Admirals Club® membership also gives you access to over 60 partner lounges in select domestic and international destinations. One Day Pass holders and Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive Card authorized users do not have access to partner lounges. *Must present your membership card and boarding pass at lounge check-in counter for same-day departure on an American Airlines operated flight.
Originally Posted by United.com
The digital card is only valid at United Club locations. At partner lounges, including participating Star Alliance™-affiliated lounges, United Club members must present a valid physical membership card
cmd320 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: