FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Where to "Add Travel Credit" When Paying for Held Flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2025555-where-add-travel-credit-when-paying-held-flight.html)

BlooJoo Sep 22, 2020 12:27 pm

Where to "Add Travel Credit" When Paying for Held Flight

This page:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...vel-credit.jsp

Indicates that when paying for a ticket, one can click on "Add Travel Credit", enabling one to use a previous ticket from a cancelled flight. See image:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...51ebd18c66.png
I do not see this option on the "Review & Pay" page, although the rest of my page looks the same. I'm not seeking guidance on using an e-voucher. I know that is usable under "Other forms of payment". This is not an e-voucher, but rather a travel credit from a previously cancelled ticket.

Do other people see this? Could it be because there are two people in my booking, and the travel credit is only usable by me?

Thanks!
-BlooJoo

thunderdeacon Sep 22, 2020 12:31 pm

I have experienced this issue multiple times. Based on my experience, you will not be able to pay for this online. You can't even use it for a new ticket, as it will give an error message. If the travel credit completely covers the price of the new ticket, you can use the chat function on the app or use Twitter. If you will have to make an additional payment you will have to call it in, as that is the only place they can accept credit card information.

BlooJoo Sep 22, 2020 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by thunderdeacon (Post 32693414)
I have experienced this issue multiple times. Based on my experience, you will not be able to pay for this online. You can't even use it for a new ticket, as it will give an error message. If the travel credit completely covers the price of the new ticket, you can use the chat function on the app or use Twitter. If you will have to make an additional payment you will have to call it in, as that is the only place they can accept credit card information.

Thank you. I need to use more than one credit, and I'm guessing they'll have to split the booking, since I'll be using credit card for the other person. Appreciate the input!

-BlooJoo

thunderdeacon Sep 22, 2020 1:10 pm

I have dealt with some amazing agents, and they have done some magical things with my canceled reservations. They can apply multiple credits to the same ticket. I've even had agents take extra time to rebook future tickets at lower rates at their urging. They have also been helpful in rebooking my 2021 tickets into main cabin. I converted all of my basic economy tickets into main cabin tickets so I can earn elite qualifying miles and dollars on those trips next year.

SJCFlyerLG Dec 14, 2020 1:19 pm

Bumping my experience. I had a flight booked one-way MIA-ANU, and changed the originating city to MCO. That resulted in an e-voucher for a fare difference of $81.50. Today I was booking my return flight ANU-MIA, and attempted to apply the voucher. I did not get the option on the website - the only "other payment" options were PayPal and Fly now, pay later. I reviewed the voucher conditions, checked here, and called the Platinum number.

As an aside, it's annoying that there is no menu choice to ticket a reservation - I finally got to an agent by saying, "change a reservation". Anyway, the agent was not able to apply the voucher. She said the system was telling her that I had to submit a paper voucher. I assured her that I had an e-voucher, and it said nothing about mailing it in. She talked with ticketing, and then the problem was exposed. Although my original flight was an international itinerary, the e-voucher could ONLY be used for another flight originating in the USA, PR, or USVI. I looked at the fine print and verified that was the case. It seems pretty strange to impose that restriction, but I guess it is a small price to pay for ending change fees. Because of delays caused by US government processing some documents, I have had to change my outbound flight several times.

seawolf Oct 11, 2021 1:05 pm

Is there still no resolution for this other than calling it in to ticket a held reservation and apply trip credit?

Drwaz99 Oct 11, 2021 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 33635781)
Is there still no resolution for this other than calling it in to ticket a held reservation and apply trip credit?

You can shoot the AA Twitter people the PNR and credit number and they can apply it if you don't want to stay on hold.

econ Oct 11, 2021 1:59 pm

Still can’t apply it when purchasing an On Hold reservation online.

Assuming the cost has gone up since? Otherwise, you could book a new reservation and apply it while purchasing.

FlyDeltaMD88 Oct 11, 2021 2:02 pm

As far as I know, no. Twitter is useful if you are applying one flight credit or a trip credit that covers/is over the amount due on the new ticket but everything else you have to call in because they won't accept credit card info over chat.

seawolf Oct 11, 2021 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by econ (Post 33635941)
Still can’t apply it when purchasing an On Hold reservation online.

Assuming the cost has gone up since? Otherwise, you could book a new reservation and apply it while purchasing.

Was thinking of just that but cost went up. Had AA call me back and got it ticketed with the credit.

TSparky Oct 12, 2021 3:09 pm

I had to do this a few weeks ago. As an added complication, since the flight credit was international, you can only use one per reservation.