Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Addicted to fees (interim $100 international cancelation fee Sep 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors

AA's marketing email today included the following:
For a limited time, book refundable fares to select destinations in Europe, Asia and South America and travel anytime. If your travel plans change and you wish to cancel, your fare is refundable minus a $100 administrative fee.

I understand the desperate dilemma that airlines are experiencing, but it seems as though the idea of the "fee" — a tacked-on "administrative," destination," "whatever" fee remains deeply and unfortunately embedded in the culture, despite the fact that consumers despise them, that they are inherently unfair, and that this moment seemed to be an opportunity for more transparent pricing approaches to take hold.
smartytravel likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
So you think the call center employees that you call to make these changes work for free?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
This seems pretty transparent to me. Consumers have grown accustomed to non-refundable fares and change fees. Change fees have largely gone away. This is another step in the right direction.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is entirely transperent.

What matters is whether the refundable fare represents good value to you. It may be that you are better off booking a non-refundable fare and then paying a $300+ change fee if the need arises, while taking only a credit and not a refund.

AA does not charge a fee which equates to the specific cost of the specific task any more than it charges an airfare per mile flown.

If the fare and its rules do not suit you, the solution is to either pick another fare or another carrier which does suit.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think the point is that it is somewhat disingenuous to call something 'refundable' which is then associated with a refund processing fee. When I return something to the shop unused, because I wish to reverse the purchase decision, I don't generally get hit up with a processing fee, even though someone at Best Buy is going to have to spend five minutes making it happen.
deeruck, MSPeconomist and Deckter like this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think the point is that it is somewhat disingenuous to call something 'refundable' which is then associated with a refund processing fee. When I return something to the shop unused, because I wish to reverse the purchase decision, I don't generally get hit up with a processing fee, even though someone at Best Buy is going to have to spend five minutes making it happen.
I can understand the objection to the phrase “administrative fee.” AA is charging the fee not because of the cost of administration, but rather it’s part of the cost of the product. Essentially one is paying $100 for optionality, which any economist will tell you has real economic value. If you opt not to take the flight, you can get the rest of the fare refunded, but not what you paid for the optionality.

This differs than returning a product at Best Buy, which can be put back on the shelf and resold, whereas the value of the airline seat immediately goes to zero once it flies empty.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:11 am
Original Poster

I made a comment on airline fee policy. It has nothing to do with who answers calls.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Actually, quite a few companies have restocking fees. May don't but some do.
hhdl likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Danwriter
I made a comment on airline fee policy. It has nothing to do with who answers calls.
Of course it does. A business must factor in its costs when setting its prices. That said, as I indicated in my last post, this fee is about the optionality the airline is selling you much more so than the cost of the telephone agent.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bchandler02
So you think the call center employees that you call to make these changes work for free?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Blumie
I can understand the objection to the phrase “administrative fee.” AA is charging the fee not because of the cost of administration, but rather it’s part of the cost of the product. Essentially one is paying $100 for optionality, which any economist will tell you has real economic value. If you opt not to take the flight, you can get the rest of the fare refunded, but not what you paid for the optionality.

This differs than returning a product at Best Buy, which can be put back on the shelf and resold, whereas the value of the airline seat immediately goes to zero once it flies empty.
Right, but that's why refundable 'full' fares are so much more expensive in the first place; the optionality is, or should have been, priced in already. It's like resort fees, just bundle the whole thing in one package at the outset, rather than coming after fees later on.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by Danwriter
they are inherently unfair
How so? It's fully disclosed. You have the option to buy the advertised ticket with the advertised fees and restrictions. How is this, in any way, inherently "unfair"? Sounds more to me like you want what you want, you want it cheap, and you're going to cry about it if you don't get it.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, but that's why refundable 'full' fares are so much more expensive in the first place; the optionality is, or should have been, priced in already. It's like resort fees, just bundle the whole thing in one package at the outset, rather than coming after fees later on.
Again, I think your mixing apples and oranges. And in fact unbundling is, in a way, more transparent than bundling. By charging a refund fee, an airline presumably can offer cheaper refundable fees than fully refundable fares, where the airline gets to keep nothing if the passenger cancels the flight.

Resort fees, on the other hand, are entirely unjustifiable IMHO. They are nothing more than masked price increases. They are anti-competitive and anti-consumer.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
So really, the change fees didn't go away, they just became 'administrative' fees. Got it.
ebuck, asnovici and deeruck like this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02
According to GlassDoor, the typical AA call center employee makes $14 an hour. If I spend 3 minutes canceling a reservation, that works out to 70 cents of expense for the employee's time.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.