Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mom says she was kicked off flight because her crying toddler refused to put mask on

Mom says she was kicked off flight because her crying toddler refused to put mask on

Old Sep 21, 2020, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,

A New Hampshire mother says she was forced off an American Airlines flights after her tired two-year-old son refused to wear a face mask.

Rachel Davis was flying from Charlotte, North Carolina to Manchester, New Hampshire when she was approached by a flight attendant who demanded the toddler, called Lyon, put on a face covering or they would have to get off the plane.

The pair had not yet sat down in their seats but Davis claimed in an Instagram post that despite attempting to put a mask on her on her little boy, he was overtired and not cooperating.

Rachel Davis was flying from Charlotte, North Carolina to Manchester, New Hampshire with her two-year-old son, Lyon.

Before the pair had even sat down, a flight attendant told her to ensure her son was wearing a face mask.

The toddler was tired and no matter what she tried, Lyon would not cooperate.

The pilot of the plane told her that they would both be unable to travel Davis said it was her fourth flight of the week but the first where her toddler had been required to wear a face mask.

American Airlines policy states that all children aged two and over are required to wear a face mask on flights.

There is a Facebook video from the gate after being deplaned with all the passengers.

https://whdh.com/news/this-is-the-wo...o-put-mask-on/

Last edited by Johnny Rocket; Sep 21, 2020 at 10:25 pm
Old Sep 21, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I thought there was an exemption for toddlers <2?

Either way I feel sorry for that mom as she's obviously very upset. This entire Covid new SOP is taking it's toll in more ways than one.
757FO, RaindropT and TangoOneSeven like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by enviroian

Either way I feel sorry for that mom as she's obviously very upset. This entire Covid new SOP is taking it's toll in more ways than one.
Yes, and AA has always been inconsistent when it comes to staff interpreting rules
cmd320 and kthomas like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:34 pm

Unfortunately, this toddler was just over 2 years old, so was not "<2" ... That said, I would make it <3 at least...

Or else the mother could spend the entire flight "nursing" the 2-year old! Keep him/her under a shawl the whole time.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fly747first
Yes, and AA has always been inconsistent when it comes to staff interpreting rules
Usually when someone says a 2 year old, they're older than 2. Under 2, people call them 1 year olds or use months. Was the kid over 2 or under?

If under, then yes, it's AA and their inconsistent rules. If over, then this is a lot of drama, but the correct result.
anniegray likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Unfortunately, this toddler was just over 2 years old, so was not "<2" ... That said, I would make it <3 at least....
The reason for 2 is based on the CDC's minimum age to wear a face covering. Below 2, children's lungs may not be able to consume or expel enough air to make a mask safe - similarly, with less powerful lungs they are less likely to spread anything.
​​​​​
Old Sep 21, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I was on this flight and witnessed the entire incident, both on the plane and at the gate (where the video was filmed, after everyone was removed from the plane.)

I felt that this was a no-win situation, caused by bad policy. While I agree that (in theory) 2 year olds should wear a mask, in practice it is not always possible. The mother was not argumentative, she was just asking for a solution.

The AA (PSA) employees acted calmly and professionally, especially the Captain and the (ground) managers.

Could the FA have just "let it slide"? Absolutely. But she chose to strictly enforce a company policy, and that is her prerogative.

Ultimately they got the family home later that day, but a little more flexibility in policy or enforcement could have prevented this entire unfortunate situation.

On a side note, after the passengers (minus the family) boarded the 2nd time, there was another issue:

Prior to door closure, the same FA was walking down the aisle checking seat belts etc. She asked (politely) a man to put his bag completely under the seat in front.

A few passengers started giving her a hard time and made inappropriate comments. The FA was visibly upset about this and went to the forward galley, and the ground manager was called to the aircraft a 2nd time. The manager spoke to the passengers in the back, and then to the Captain.

Then the Captain got on the PA and made an announcement, stating that all passengers must comply with crew instructions, and if there was anyone with an issue, they needed to get off the jet now. He said that if there were any problems in flight he would turn the plane around, and we would return to Charlotte. He said he understood the concerns about the mask issue, and would be available to talk to any passengers that wanted to, once we arrived in Manchester.

There were no further issues and we arrived about 45 minutes late.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
I once got a speeding ticket for going a mere 6mph over the limit and there are two other instances where I was going well in excess of 30mph over the limit and I get mere warnings. A third I was given a parking ticket in lieu of a moving violation.

What’s your point?

It was such a distressing incident that she still had time to pose for a selfie... please... spare me feigned outrage and teeth mashing

#LookingForaPayout
#CompensationCulture

Last edited by DataPlumber; Sep 21, 2020 at 7:54 pm
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I once got a speeding ticket for going a mere 6mph over the limit and there are two other instances where I was going well in excess of 30mph over the limit and I get mere warnings. A third I was given a parking ticket in lieu of a moving violation.

What’s your point?
What's your point?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
The woman is not wearing her mask over her own mouth or nose while she is screaming (thus projecting spit) at this AA employee who does not make the rules. Masks are required in NC and thus she is breaking the law. I truly sympathize with parents that end up in this situation but I lost my sympathy for her in particular when she endangered this employee. I get that she was clearly so upset that she probably wasn't thinking clearly but if you're going to fly during this pandemic then you need to be constantly mindful of what you are doing when it comes to safety of yourself and others.

That poor kid hasn't adjusted to wearing a mask and can't understand the situation and I feel terrible for him. It is easy to feel like the flight attendants should have let this slide but I think the flight attendants ultimately did what they needed to in enforcing these safety rules as they are written. If they did not and other passengers complained to AA then the flight attendants could be reprimanded for choosing to not enforce health safety rules. If there was later found to be a COVID cluster from this flight and it was discovered that AA employees knowingly allowed the health safety rules to be broken - I imagine that would be a problem for AA.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nachosdelux

Could the FA have just "let it slide"? Absolutely. But she chose to strictly enforce a company policy, and that is her prerogative.

Ultimately they got the family home later that day, but a little more flexibility in policy or enforcement could have prevented this entire unfortunate situation.

On a side note, after the passengers (minus the family) boarded the 2nd time, there was another issue:
There should be no flexibility - either the person needs to wear a mask or the person doesnt need to

Consistent application is what should be happening
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
There’s no difference between catching covid from a 2 year old or a 42 year old. We’re in a P A N D E M I C. Good on AA enforcing its rules
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
100% disagree. All she would need is one person to complain the well publicized mask rule wasn't enforced and her job would be in jeopardy. Worse if someone claimed they got sick-I agree very very unlikely. My guess is they have marching orders that these rules are not flexible. Imagine seeing an exception on this flight. A passenger is then on another flight and wants their child not to wear a mask. They need to enforce it or raise the age. However, I wouldn't expect the FA to let it slide.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
100% disagree. All she would need is one person to complain the well publicized mask rule wasn't enforced and her job would be in jeopardy. Worse if someone claimed they got sick-I agree very very unlikely. My guess is they have marching orders that these rules are not flexible. Imagine seeing an exception on this flight. A passenger is then on another flight and wants their child not to wear a mask. They need to enforce it or raise the age. However, I wouldn't expect the FA to let it slide.
I said she "could" have let it slide. I did not say she should have.
standbyalldtime and Mr. Vker like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion

Completely agree. A toddler does not have the mental capacity to understand and this whole idea that anyone over the age of 2 should wear a mask is ridiculous. I think the airlines should raise the minimum age to 4 or 5 and could avoid situations like this. Feel bad for the mother, horrible situation to be in.
worldiswide likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.