Best way to book 1 Cash + 1 Award Ticket

Old Sep 16, 20, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Silver
Best way to book 1 Cash + 1 Award Ticket

Hi all! I have a silly question. I am trying to plan some speculative travel for 2021 with my fiancee and had a question. Does anyone have experience booking one cash and 1 award ticket? I have enough miles for one ticket but as far as I know AA won't let me select 1 and 1. Do prices change rapidly enough that it would make a difference in either cash or miles price, which ticket I book first and which I book second? I would definitely want our flights linked (don't want them separating/bumping us with corona...). Would I simply call AA after booking to get them to make a note in the reservation? And if it ended up being for a BA ticket bought through AA would AA be able to link us or would I have to call BA? Thanks for the advice!
Old Sep 16, 20, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by darkrider View Post
Hi all! I have a silly question. I am trying to plan some speculative travel for 2021 with my fiancee and had a question. Does anyone have experience booking one cash and 1 award ticket? I have enough miles for one ticket but as far as I know AA won't let me select 1 and 1. Do prices change rapidly enough that it would make a difference in either cash or miles price, which ticket I book first and which I book second? I would definitely want our flights linked (don't want them separating/bumping us with corona...). Would I simply call AA after booking to get them to make a note in the reservation? And if it ended up being for a BA ticket bought through AA would AA be able to link us or would I have to call BA? Thanks for the advice!
It doesn't matter which one you book first. Linking is no guarantee of not being separated. If this was domestic, I would recommend booking together as one way, if the roundtrip was the same price as a one way in each direction. However, since BA was mentioned I assume it was round trip.
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Booking the one way would work great domestically. That is a great idea. We are hoping to come up with a Europe trip for next May if possible (COVID...) so was hoping to find an option to make things easier. Having one frequent flyer account with enough miles for 2 tickets has always been challenging...
Old Sep 16, 20, 11:42 am

Maybe I am paranoid, but I always put one reservation on hold (typically the award reservation), then proceed to book the non-award ticket (provided the fare has not increased). Once the non-award ticket has been booked, then I go back and finish the booking of the award ticket.

If I am booking an award ticket for a minor child, then I have to do the reverse (put the non-award ticket on hold) then call in to have the reservation for the minor booked as an award ticket.
beachfan likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
In terms of booking order, I would put the award flight on hold first, then book the paid flight, then go back and ticket the award flight on hold.

If you're in a scenario where there's only one award seat left, then there's a chance that booking the paid flight first could cause the award space to dissappear.

And there's really no such thing as linking, all they can do is add a note to your PNR that says you're traveling with another pax, and there's no guarantee it will make any difference. I really wouldn't worry about this though, just keep an eye on your reservations. If there are schedule changes that happen to separate you just call AA, they will fix it and get you back together.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 1:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
If one wishes to ďlinkĒ separate PNRs, FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread)
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Wonderful thoughts! Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I have my solution!
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Isnít there linking in some sense when I ask for my wife on another PNR to be put on the upgrade list as my companion (with my status)? Thatís something the system reads.
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EP
No. Thatís just using ur status for upgrade purposes.
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
Isnít there linking in some sense when I ask for my wife on another PNR to be put on the upgrade list as my companion (with my status)? Thatís something the system reads.
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EP
No. Thatís just using ur status for upgrade purposes. The companion's segment is put into the Upgrade system with the type of upgrade and any sponsorship data.

Originally Posted by beachfan View Post

Search this Thread
Search Engine: