Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How many times can I change w/o paying a fee ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:52 pm
mlm
Original Poster

The event was cancelled and rescheduled for a year from now My flight for Oct. 2020 is still listed as a "Go". I was hoping for a change of more than 1 hour so I could get a refund but this hasn't happened.

If I change my flight now to a "fake date" can I then change it a 2nd time to the "real date" without paying a fee when the 2021 schedule comes out ? I don't want a voucher if at all possible. I could get 2 tickets for the price I paid for the flight I originally booked. I'm in the Main cabin and have no elite status.

Thank you.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not really understanding. While they are now waiving change fees, they will charge for fare difference (if higher) or provide a voucher (good for a year) if new fare is lower. This will apply even when booking the same route.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:39 am
mlm
Original Poster

I'm sorry I didn't make my question clear. The flights for October 2021 are not out yet. I can't book the actual flight I'll need until AFTER my originally booked flight is over. I'm asking if I should cancel my upcoming flight and book a "fake" flight to buy time until the AA schedule for October 2021 is out. This will require cancelling two flights and I wasn't sure if this is allowed with AA.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Still not making sense.

Just cancel the existing ticket and you will have a credit for the full amount to apply to the purchase of a new ticket when the schedule opens up. Purchasing a ticket and changing that is just extra work for you. Either way, you will ultimately pay the same amount, bearing in mind that the chances that anything you book more than 30-40 days out will almost certainly be significantly changed so not worth doing anyway.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EP
Seems like he wants a cash refund vs a credit.

You should be able to make as many changes (paying any additional add collects) as you want. But if you are hoping that one of the changes results in a change that would afford you a refund, I am unclear/don’t know if it would be refundable gives that you changed your original ticket. You would have to ask AA.

Originally Posted by Often1
Still not making sense.

Just cancel the existing ticket and you will have a credit for the full amount to apply to the purchase of a new ticket when the schedule opens up. Purchasing a ticket and changing that is just extra work for you. Either way, you will ultimately pay the same amount, bearing in mind that the chances that anything you book more than 30-40 days out will almost certainly be significantly changed so not worth doing anyway.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Simply unclear what OP is trying to accomplish. Bottom line is that he can make as many changes as he wishes to make. If the new fare is higher, he pays the difference. If the new fare is lower, he receives a credit for the difference. Fare rules aside, if AA cancels or significantly changes the timing, he is entitled to a refund of the then existing ticket (if there is one).

But, I suppose that we really need to wait for OP to return and explain exactly what it is that he wants.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Often1
Simply unclear what OP is trying to accomplish. Bottom line is that he can make as many changes as he wishes to make. If the new fare is higher, he pays the difference. If the new fare is lower, he receives a credit for the difference. Fare rules aside, if AA cancels or significantly changes the timing, he is entitled to a refund of the then existing ticket (if there is one).

But, I suppose that we really need to wait for OP to return and explain exactly what it is that he wants.
I think the OP has been reasonably clear (even if not perfectly clear), and I think you have answered his/her questions.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Blumie
I think the OP has been reasonably clear (even if not perfectly clear), and I think you have answered his/her questions.
And moving forward, AA will not be charging change fees no matter how many times a ticket gets reissued though differences in fare will still apply
Lufthomie likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: Miles N More, One World
We had a flight with non refundable tickets to PVR this past April, we cancelled but retained the credit. When we cancelled in March we were advised we have until the end of this year 2020 to rebook with no additional charges. A few weeks ago we rebooked for a new flight to CDMX at the end of Oct 2020. When speaking to customer service we were advised that if we cancelled our new reservations that we would have until Dec 2021 to use the flight credit. Last weekend my cousin decided to rebook his flight which he had cancelled and was told the same time frames (Dec 2021).
I think the current C-19 state of affairs will determine if AA pushes no change fees for non refundable tickets out beyond 2021 but the way I see it I could change my reservations every week if I felt like it, at least until Dec 2021. Am I wrong? Wouldn't be the 1st time and definitely wont be the last.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lufthomie
We had a flight with non refundable tickets to PVR this past April, we cancelled but retained the credit. When we cancelled in March we were advised we have until the end of this year 2020 to rebook with no additional charges. A few weeks ago we rebooked for a new flight to CDMX at the end of Oct 2020. When speaking to customer service we were advised that if we cancelled our new reservations that we would have until Dec 2021 to use the flight credit. Last weekend my cousin decided to rebook his flight which he had cancelled and was told the same time frames (Dec 2021).
I think the current C-19 state of affairs will determine if AA pushes no change fees for non refundable tickets out beyond 2021 but the way I see it I could change my reservations every week if I felt like it, at least until Dec 2021. Am I wrong? Wouldn't be the 1st time and definitely wont be the last.
The chances of the airline industry recovering and achieving pre-Covid demand levels in 2022 is highly doubtful at this point so we may see more customer-friendly changes in 2021 as all carriers will be fighting to bring customers back in the air
Old Sep 17, 2020, 9:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mlm
The event was cancelled and rescheduled for a year from now My flight for Oct. 2020 is still listed as a "Go". I was hoping for a change of more than 1 hour so I could get a refund but this hasn't happened.

If I change my flight now to a "fake date" can I then change it a 2nd time to the "real date" without paying a fee when the 2021 schedule comes out ? I don't want a voucher if at all possible. I could get 2 tickets for the price I paid for the flight I originally booked. I'm in the Main cabin and have no elite status.

Thank you.
If what you want is a refund to the original form of payment, I believe the threshold is now four hours, not one.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
If what you want is a refund to the original form of payment, I believe the threshold is now four hours, not one.
Right unless there is a significant product change. Even after the new 4-hour rule when AA made a change to my schedule and they had nothing SFO MIA that day with flat beds, they offered a full refund acknowledging that I was on a much higher because previously I had SFO JFK (321T in F) MIA and after the schedule change, there was absolutely nothing to get me to MIA on the same day with a proper flat bed product.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 8:59 am
mlm
Original Poster

Thank you all. In my case, it is a 1 hour schedule change since I had booked prior to the policy change made in April 2020. I have requested a refund so I'll wait and see if I receive a refund or a voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.